Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / Quiet forum ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

I have just downloaded the GDK .NET.

Wondering why is this forum so quiet ? Is GDK .NET not so popular compared to C++ version ?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 01:57
A very good question!

I will admit that partly the problem is that I have yet to complete some additional plugins for the toolkit. It's a juggling act this end, and until new plugins are released for the toolkit to help game development easier, it's all a matter of trial and error.

At any rate, please feel free to ask questions and help on anything related. Myself and the community will endevour to assist in anyway we can.

Paul.

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 19:16
For my part I just haven't had time to work with it. I hesitate to try to port the projects I have in C++ process to .NET at the moment because it feels like I'm forever jumping from one API to another. So my interest in this forum is just keeping up with what others are talking about.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 19:27
I started a new project in C# using GDK.Net.

It's a control program for special effects using the Prop-2 controller available from http://www.efx-tek.com.

The program communicates with the controller through the serial port and monitors event triggers (like a motion sensor) and activates prop events (like firing a pneumatic valve to move a prop).

The primary purpose of the program is for haunted houses at Halloween. The GDK part of the program shows a map of the "haunt" and shows the progress of the "guest" through the haunt as they trigger sensors.

It wont be ready for this Halloween, but it will be ready for next year.

Grayvyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 08:59
KISTech, you bum. Get back to work on WAO!!!
I really liked the old version you had and am looking forward to your new C# version BTW, your website fails to register me. Something about email or something. It was a month ago or so.

I have been jumping around on projects myself though so I shouldn't throw stones. I was working on my VB6 game at rpgwo.com but am now back focused on my Online RTS at projectrts.com. I am using DarkGDK.Net and C#.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 18:42 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2009 18:45

I'm making good progress on WAO. The client is still DBPro. The server is "in transition" while I figure out how to handle collision in C#.Net without Sparky's DLL since it's not been ported over for .Net. Most of the work at the moment is making sure the networking runs efficiently. There is SO MUCH data to move back and forth that it can degrade performance very quickly if it gets out of hand. I'm writing routines that dynamically adjust the amount of data sent.

I'll attempt to have the site send you another confirmation email.

It might be getting trapped by your spam filter.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:17:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:17:52