Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 03:59 Edited at: 1st Oct 2009 04:01

Are there any plans to make software fluids even moderately appealing? Is this even a DP problem, or is it Nvidia's fault?

If you run my code there, or any fluid demo, you'll notice that the fluids don't look great and don't run well. I can run Crysis on mid-highs, and I get 8fps with my simple demo there.

If not, I'm going to look into buying a PhysX card (if cheap enough on ebay) or an Nvidia graphics card (as I'm on ATI). If I get a physics card, can I still use it with Nvidia's drivers, or have they trashed them completely?
Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 06:30
As far as i can gather, i have done alot of research, use people useing the DBP version of dark physics get TOTALLY screwed on getting even halfway decent looking fluid, i have a nvidia gtx 295 (full physx support) and it still looks terrible.

Us people with DBP and not the GDK cant change any rendering properties whatsoever, and it just looks terrible in general.

(maby they will update it.... ever)

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2009 15:48
I recently read somewhere that Nvidia decided to disable any hardware PhysX acceleration in the latest drivers, if your computer is using a GPU (to render graphics) which is any brand other than Nvidia. This includes PPU and GPU acceleration, and means that if you decide to buy a PPU then you will also have to switch to an Nvidia GPU as well in order to experience any acceleration. Keep in mind that this is only true for some of the most recent PhysX drivers, so you could just install an old copy and it would work as expected.
Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 04:12
This is a screenshot of me running culmor30's code:

Here is me running the NVidia Fluid Demo:

All the liquid i create should look like (or similar) to the second picture.

DrReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 06:03
culmor30's code runs pretty snappy on my Geforce 250 in hardware mode. I have been trying to make water like this but I cannot get reliable results. It seems like all the water code I create attacks my camera.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:54:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:54:03