Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / The Best Orchestra for music production?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2009 00:08
Hey everybody it has been way too long! Anyways currently I've been focusing on my band more then game design which explains my long absence, but I've come to the best place on the net to ask some of the smartest users ive met a qoestion.

Currently we have tons of material but we are trying to get a symphonic type sound simaler to Skillet and so on and I'm wondering what is the most affordible and quality filled orchestra program out for purchase I've looked into a few and am just wanting some opinion.

ThankX
PUNK....(wait for it......) 13!

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2009 00:58
Vienna Symphonic Library, definitively.
Not sure whether you can afford it though; EastWest Quantum Leap's platinum or gold versions of their Symphonic Orchestra is a cheaper, yet definitively impressive solution.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2009 01:45
I actually looked into Vienna it looked pretty nice. Whats the learning curve on it?

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 00:37 Edited at: 6th Oct 2009 00:52
The learning curve isn't bad for Vienna. I own both Vienna Special Edition and EWQL Gold Complete and I like them both for different reasons. Vienna sounds real with legato. Gold Complete has the natural reverb. Vienna can be used in applications other than large orchestra's because the reverb is subtle. Gold complete has more articulations. The Solo instruments in Gold are no where near as good as Vienna's. It all depends on what you want to do. Typical game scoring? I would probably pick EWQL Gold Complete. Now, if your going to be using it for applications other than that (Pop music for example)... I would take Vienna. Your best bet would be, buy one of them then save up and get the other also. That way, you get everything you need and the best of both worlds.

EDIT: I just listened to Skillet's "Rebirthing". The staccato could be pulled off with Gold but you would also need to mix Vienna's legato with Gold to emulate the connected notes. If you did that, it would sound awsome!

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 00:48
Cool cool thanks and ya its more for intros, outros and melodies for a symphonic rock type music. So your saying Vienna is the way to go?

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 00:54 Edited at: 6th Oct 2009 01:21
I would say Vienna is your best bet right now. You'll just want to add a good reverb, if you have one.

EDIT: Here is an audio sample of the violin and the Legato "connected" notes I am talking about.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 01:31
Oh yeah, I always forget there is a special edition of Vienna for sale
Then it's not un-overcomable expensive, like their Symphonic Cube. I'd say go for it. Agent Joe's points are all very good and valid.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 01:56
Sweet sweet how much is the special edition? I was also pretty impressed with the low price and capibilitys of East West symphonic orchestra silver.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 05:43 Edited at: 6th Oct 2009 05:59
Vienna's Special Edition is $465.00 on their website. http://vsl.co.at/en/211/261/314/1605/1277.htm
You will also need a Vienna Key to store your license, which can also be purchased on their website.
http://vsl.co.at/en/211/497/1689/1690/251.htm

About EWQL Silver... I wouldn't buy it. It's not a complete package and wouldn't do you any good. Gold Complete contains pretty much all the articulations that Platinum Complete contains. The main difference between Platinum and Gold is that Platinum has 3 seperate mic positions, is 24-bit, and costs about $400 dollars more. Gold, on the other hand, has a single mic position and is 16-bit. The 16-bit bit-rate won't matter unless you plan to put your music on high definition discs (ordinary cd's are 16-bit).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 22:22:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 22:22:33