Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Music portal idea, could use some input

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 01:27
Greetings, fellow musicians.
As you might know, I'm a hobbyist composer. I am however not a lyricist, neither a singer. At times, those aspects of music doesn't matter, at others they do.
Therefore, I figured there might be some webpage allowing interaction between textwriters and composers, and any other kind of musicians, but my searches yielded no relevant results.
I then came to think that perhaps you could make such a site yourself. I've thought the idea through a few times and have come up with a general concept. I've also discussed it with some friends who thought the idea was pretty good, but seing as they themselves aren't that much of musicians, I figured I'd take the idea for display here as well.

So, the general idea is quite simple: to set up a (free) webservice which allows for various subgenres of musicians to interact with each other and request collaboration on work among each other (for example, user A composes a song and records the instrumental parts of it. He then proposes user B, who agrees to write lyrics for the song (take note that user B may in fact be more of a poet than a musician, who enjoys writing lyrics but don't write music himself. I've seen quite a few of these people). User C is then approached to record him-/herself singing user B's lyrics; this recording is then mixed together with the original composition (probably by user A). Possibly, a cello solo might be writ into the song. As it happens, user D is able to do a live recording of him playing the cello, and there we could have some really nice piece of music now.)
Apart from this, the site would also work as a display place for its users creation, allowing uploading of tracks for ranking and commenting by other users or guest visitors. High-speed download links to the tracks can also be supplied. For the guest visitors, these can contact individual musicians to propose projects to them (for example, an amateur game or film could need some music. The creator of this finds a certain musicians work fitting for his production and requests one or more original tracks. (I suppose it's only fair to allow the users to deny requesting of tracks if they so wish)).

Well, that's about it. I suppose a forum for general music-related discussion would be almost a requirement as well.

So, now I would like to get your points on this idea.
To me it seems like the concept could potentially hit the nail, but then I've thought about it for quite some time and might be blind to certain issues.
The core question is however; does such a service already exist?
As said, I have been unable to find anything through my searches, but I can't be completely sure.
Any input is greatly appreciated, so please post your thoughts.

Finally, for possible realisation purposes, I should state that I'm decent at php and believe it lies within my skills to set up such a system. I'm however not a webdesigner, nor an artist (or very good at comming up with great ideas or solutions, for that matter ), so if anybody would be interrested in joining in, should this actually be undertaken, feel free to speak up

Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 22:33
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but there are sources I've found that do exist for this sort of thing.

First of all, many people utilize regular social networking for this, such as Facebook and MySpace; it's easy to join groups, and then work is e-mailed to each other while they use the social network as a primary way to communicate to one another.

However, a far better resource is the website for Garage Band. Has free MP3 hosting, contests, gig promotion, and networking for musicians. However, it lacks the forum that you desire. I imagine it is also mostly geared toward using the software that is its namesake.

Web sites like Band Focus are probably more of what you are looking for. There are tons of musician forums out there, but most of them are just forums.

If you use different search engines together, you can find hundreds of resources on the internet. But, I hope that those possibly helped!

Your error is my treasure. =^--^=
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 15:32
I see.
Doesn't look quite like the thing I was thinking of on first glance, but I'll take a deeper look at band focus later tonight.

Thanks

Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 17:13
Good luck! Keep posted if you find other nice music stuff out there; I'm sure you're not really the only person who is looking.

Your error is my treasure. =^--^=
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice idea, but wouldn't it work just a well on a forum community such as this one if someone made a post about it and everyone pitched in.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 01:11
I agree with Lucifer. The only problem I can think of though, is that some people want credit, for a track, all to themselves even if the track is free. So they are not willing to share their notes or work with others. I mean, if your making a track for free, why does it matter? Rudolpho's Idea would be a great learning experience for everyone.

I, for one, would be willing to participate.

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 21:13 Edited at: 12th Oct 2009 21:14
Quote: "Nice idea, but wouldn't it work just a well on a forum community such as this one if someone made a post about it and everyone pitched in."

Well, I was thinking of something more tailored for the particular situation than a message board. Also, the people who would join such a service would do so because they actually wanted to do such collaboration. Therefore, the amount of successfull propositions would likely be a lot higher than if it was asked on any "general purpose" forum. Not saying that couldn't work also though.

Quote: "The only problem I can think of though, is that some people want credit, for a track, all to themselves even if the track is free. So they are not willing to share their notes or work with others."

Exactly. Those people wouldn't be likely to join a site all about music collaboration, making that seem like a good idea to me.

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 07:52 Edited at: 13th Oct 2009 07:52
Quote: "Exactly. Those people wouldn't be likely to join a site all about music collaboration, making that seem like a good idea to me.
"

Hmmm... now that ya mention it... I agree.

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 15:51
I think that this sounds like a great idea. I'm more into the writing music aspect than the writing lyrics aspect and I've wanted to get some collaborative projects going before but had difficulty without going down the whole band route.

"The fools may crash down upon us in thunderous waves, but we shall Jeku slap them back from whence they came"
-BiggAdd Oct 28th 2009
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 06:10
Sorry for DP (figure it's OK after almost 3 weeks) but is anything happening with this idea?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 15:31
Yeah, I'm working on such a site with a friend (well, it's me who does all the work, while he pops in his head rather seldom and complains about how everything sucks, without giving any proper suggestions to go on instead) inbetween when I get the time.
Unfortunately time is tight, so it's likely going to take a while yet.
If you'd like to help out in any way (scripting, ideas, design, etc.) you're more than welcome to contact me (use the e-mail button below)

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2009 02:23
sounds cool!

I would like to do something simular with qmidi 3 where you can post stuff,buy stuff,and post in a qmidi forum within the program..

SMD3DInteractive

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:06:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:06:04