Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / What is PureGDK and why should I use it?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 13:06 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 03:53
This summary on PureGDK 1.0 is outdated. Please see here for information on PureGDK 2.0:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187939&b=38

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 18:54 Edited at: 10th Oct 2009 18:56
I've always known about PureGDK but I've never really given it any consideration until now. I've been working for a while now on developing a powerful 3D game editor in DBP... But PureGDK sounds like it might make everything run faster and give me access to more GUI features.

Currently Im using Blue GUI for talking with the Win32 Api, along with Sparky's DLL, Benjamin's Multisync, and EZRotate (by Wolf IIRC). Im right in thinking all of these plugins will work fine with PureGDK?

Also is the syntax similar to DBP, exactly the same, or quite different? Basically would it take me a long time to convert my 2000 lines of DBP code to work in PureGDK? From my understanding PureGDK is similar to C, but with the ability to call DBP's commands from it, similar to DarkGDK?

Im really thinking about making a purchase in the next month or so, it sounds very useful.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 22:25 Edited at: 10th Oct 2009 23:26
Quote: "I've always known about PureGDK but I've never really given it any consideration until now. I've been working for a while now on developing a powerful 3D game editor in DBP... But PureGDK sounds like it might make everything run faster and give me access to more GUI features."

PureGDK is perfect for this. Its GUI library is much more advanced than BlueGUI with the capability to even create your own controls.

PureGDK is similar to C in features but it's commands are still BASIC (like DBP). It's not scary at all like C, I promise!

A lot of things will be identical to DBP like looks, cases, conditionals:

One of the biggest differences between DBP and PureGDK is that there are no spaces in function names. So in DBP the command "SET CURRENT CAMERA(CameraID)" will become "dbSetCurrentCamera(CameraID)" in PureGDK.

Instead of UDTs there are structures so instead of writing this in DBP:

In PureBasic it's written like this:

Structures in PureBasic are local in scope. I've just used it here as a global for example.

There are many nuances but it's all very similar. Grab Gary's book from the A Beginner's Guide To PureBasic Programming thread and you'll be fine. It's the same book I used back when it was in print.

Quote: "Currently Im using Blue GUI for talking with the Win32 Api, along with Sparky's DLL, Benjamin's Multisync, and EZRotate (by Wolf IIRC). Im right in thinking all of these plugins will work fine with PureGDK?"

If your plugin works with DBP then it will work with PureGDK. See my response here for more information: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158951&b=38

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 01:25
Thanks for the info, Ill look into PureGDK a little in the future. But chances are it looks like Ill be making a purchase.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 19:10
One other question Mistrel,

Quote: "Add your own features with PureGDK's easy to use framework library for wrapping DarkBasic Professional plugins. It's so simple that anyone who knows how to work a text editor can do it."

This means writing plugins with PureBASIC code for use with DBP projects is possible? Essentially wrapping a set of procedures written in PB into a plugin that can be loaded and called in DBP?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 21:00 Edited at: 13th Oct 2009 21:02
You can write DBP plugins using PureBasic. This is how I wrote that GUI plugin for you that restricts x-axis resizing.

However, you cannot use PureGDK commands in a DBP plugin. It's not the same. The way its done in PureBasic is by loading the correct plugin manually, finding the correct function pointer, and then calling it using either CallCFunctionFast or prototypes.

I made a post about compiling DBP plugins with PureGDK over a year ago and no one seemed interested:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=127777&b=18

Some users have noticed that you can actually compile PureGDK code to a dll and then use it in other PureGDK projects. This functionality is unsupported but it does work. The one caveat is that plugin dependencies are not resolved for plugins so you have to make sure they're included in the main executable by using at least one command from any plugin used within the dll.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 10:15:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 10:15:12