Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Chezz.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 18:12 Edited at: 18th Dec 2009 14:25
This project has been canceled.

Hai again everyone (yeh I'll redo the title picture when the game aquires a menu)
This time we decided to finally persue the wacky chess idea we once concocted.
So here it is, Chezz.

The basic gameplay will be much the same as original chess, but with modern-gameplay techniques in mind:
* Interesting maps
* Stone towers can't move
* Towers can be garisonned by other units
* Bishops will become mages just because everyone knows if you send a bishop into a battlefield he's gonna die
* The king and queen are swapped around because everyone knows the king always went into battle and the queen sat around being a noob
* You won't start with all the units, you will spawn units between your 2 starting towers (pawns take 1 turn, horses and mages take 2 turns)
* The game won't just have to have 2 players - for huge maps, it could have like 4 or even 8
* Pawns will be able to move backwards left and right because otherwise it's just unfair on them
* New units like catapults and siege towers
* Hopefully might eventually be online because it has simple enough gameplay that even I can handle the multiplayer coding for it

The game isn't neally ready for release, but I'll be providing you with screenshots of updates and updated versions. (See below for both)

Pictures :

A map test

A map test with some basic towers

Getting the principle of chess-movement working (but towers won't be able to move in the final version)

Implementing blobby 101's tower models

Actually moving the objects in play

Having different coloured flag/banner/drapes per player

Getting the mages working (using a placehold stretched pawn until blobby 101 makes the mage model)

Knight mechanics using placeholds for mage and knight until blobby 101 gives me them.

Finally got all the units modelled and working.

Game versions:
Chezz 0.01 - 11/10/09 - <Outdated>
Chezz 0.02 - 12/10/09 - <Outdated>
Chezz 0.03 - 21/10/09 - .zip
Chezz 0.04 - Coming soon - When I put the game together properly and add a menu/titlescreen

This project has been canceled.

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 18:26 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 18:26
Woah, looks cool C0wbox. I love chess =] But anyways, I tried the demo. and looks really cool. What I think would be cool its some nice ambiance music. Nothing too crazy xD I know thats probably the last thing youre thinking of lol. But this looks really cool, cause I really like chess =]

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 18:37
@ FireIndy
Hah, actually I had thought about the music and completely agree. Although I could have a system where it increases the intensity of music based on what the units are doing, I.E. in combat or milling around.

^This was used in both Total Annihilation and Command&Conquer Generals, and works quite well.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 21:54 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 22:11
Wow, bit early for a WIP by your standards isn't it Cowbox? xD
Anyway, i'll get right onto the mage as soon as i get XP working again, having to use Win7 at the moment which hates C4D

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 22:11
@ blobby 101 and all concerned
Yeh it usually would be too early for a WIP accoding to me, but this game is so easy to make and can't really go wrong, I thought: "Why not; this way the progress can be traced from the very beginning, to the very end."

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 17:04
Chezz isn't a word.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 18:11
And you're an annoying... eh... *expletive*

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 18:44
@ Profit
Are ever going to quit that xD

Lots of games aren't real words.

But at least Chezz is spelt right (According to me)

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 19:35
I think Chezz is an excellent name.

I really like the look of it so far C0wbox, I can't wait to see the final product!

"Having kids is hereditary. If your parents didn't have any, you won't have any either."
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 19:44
Maybe you don't know but in Italy, italian games never have an italian name... name like "icebuster kid", "fire over Bologna", "Galactic stormrider", and so on... and english game are with their original names, not translated, so it's usually for me to see strange named games, maybe with sometipe of broked english, so, chezz is a great name.

let's play chezz!!!

ciao faccie da sedere!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 19:54 Edited at: 12th Oct 2009 20:17
@ Yodaman Jer & Ermes
! Thank you for your support, I thought it was a pretty good name too.

In terms of progress, Blobby's just made the mage but can't texture it today so I probably won't recieve it until tomorow. Then he's onto the knights.

In the meantime, I've gotten pieces to kill other pieces and I'll probably working on the garisonning system next. (Either that or the king/queen mechanics.)

Here's a screenshot to prove the knights work, even if they are another stretched pawn:

Knights. (Also showing that you can now take enemy pieces)

And here's a brand new download button for version 0.02 (which includes non-moving stone towers xD):
.zip

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 00:36 Edited at: 13th Oct 2009 00:38
I once started a Chess game with archers, and trees. The trees were blockers of moves, and the archers were long distance moves like a Queen, but over a piece (But not over a tree). So a sort of Queen/Knight.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a friend that will be very interested in this. Tagging it for email updates.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 03:19
@ Pincho Paxton
I was considering having archers, with a true-ranged attack, but all new units are uncertain anyway. They may be added, they may not; it all depends on how far along this game gets before I decide, "Enough's enough, I'm releasing it. "

@ GIDustin
Why in particular would your friend be interested in this? (Chess isn't that great xD)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2009 01:46
Version 0.03
Update time

We've decided to cut out the units riding knights, because we couldn't get them to "ride" the knights in any sensible way without it just looking stupid.

Here's a screenshot showing the kings, queens, knights and mages all in action:

All the units work properly now

And here's a brand new download button for version 0.03:
.zip

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 15:39
Downloading this one too...
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 16:01 Edited at: 17th Dec 2009 16:06
You're not supposed to bump this WIP. xD

I cancelled it because it's a lame idea and hardly anyone cared about it.

<Hopes no one notices this WIP and it sinks back down where it was...>

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 07:33 Edited at: 18th Dec 2009 09:22
@C0wbox

I have seen 2 cases now where you post a WIP about a game you're making, and then you say it's lame and a piece of crap that Soharix pumped out into existence, and will be cancelled. You are only assuming that people don't care about it. And I think I'm speaking for most here, this game is not lame!

Sure, it's in its early stages, but it is an original idea, and if you get your finger out of your rear and put your mind to it, this will turn out to be a great game.

I hope you don't take this wrong. I like the look of this

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 10:05
I think it could be really good too although I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Have more confidence, you wouldn't have got this far with it if you didn't like the idea at some point!!
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 10:13
cancel this, stick with your mamo xD

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 10:25 Edited at: 18th Dec 2009 10:26
Well, I'm not sure if Cowbox has read this yet, but this project has been cancelled since October and I think it's unlikely that Cowbox will want to restart it at the moment. I do agree with you that this could have been great though.

Bottom line I think is that Mamo is our current project and we will be focussing our efforts solely on that for the time being, but who knows? when Mamo is finished there's every chance that we could go back and finish off chezz

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 14:16 Edited at: 18th Dec 2009 14:28
Despite this game being horribley incomplete and not being worked on, I don't even like Chess that much, so let this WIP drop as it was meant to 2 months ago.

I also don't like being seen to have multiple WIPs and not finish them it makes me look like a big forum-noob. (Out of my 9 WIPs, 3 reached red stage, and those 3 and 2 more have been canceled - I don't like doing this.)

Please stop posting on this WIP; I canceled the project for a reason and Mamo is currently Soharix's only concern, I will not say it again, nor post here again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 14:13:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 14:13:05