Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / A new podcast theme song I wrote --- any good?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2009 07:12 Edited at: 13th Oct 2009 07:16
This is only 1.5 minutes, as it's supposed to be short and "video gamey". Let me know if you like it

http://www.jeku.com/jake_jensen.mp3

It was written using Reason 4.0.1 and my new M-Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard.

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 07:32
So, either it's really good or everyone hated it and is scared to speak up? I've left it almost two weeks without a response, but I'll let it die now if nobody wants to comment.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 12:57 Edited at: 25th Oct 2009 12:58
Well, what do you expect with a name like 'Jake Jensen'?

Well, it feels like the song is sacking* behind a bit at times.
I suppose it might do in some kind of abstract video game (that's what I imagine anyway). The sounds are decent, but a bit too trancy in my oppinion - it seems like you were going for a restricted '8-bit sound', but some of the sounds (especially the pad, but also the overdrivenly fattened lead) are just too detailed to make that soundscape. Also, what's up with the poorly sampled drums?
Maybe you should have tried something of a more analogue origin there as well, or at least turn up the cut-off filter on them.
On the theme, it is rather simple, but then I imagine it to some sort of "small children's game", wherein the music usually is like that, so it needn't be a bad thing.
Anyway, that's a nice ending chord you've got there

By the way, what happened to your avatar?

* Probably not a proper english term.
What I mean is that the tempo is lagging behind a bit at times, or at least I get that impresson. Might be because some sound fades in too slowly a well.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
It sounds a little unfinished, it has got great potential it just needs a little polishing

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2009 20:20
Thanks for the constructive feedback

Quote: "Well, what do you expect with a name like 'Jake Jensen'?"

Well that's how they wanted the contest entries named-- first name last name.

Quote: "Also, what's up with the poorly sampled drums?"

Well, for the most part (aside from the drums and the 2nd half's lead), I used real sounds sampled from the NES and the Commodore 64. The drums are real Commodore 64 drums

Quote: "It sounds a little unfinished, it has got great potential it just needs a little polishing"

I need to find someone who can assist me in finishing my stuff. 95% of the things I write are only 1-2 minutes in length, and they're not properly finished or even mixed. Would be great to team up with someone to form a group--- perhaps I'll try Craigslist.

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2009 03:50 Edited at: 29th Oct 2009 10:44
Quote: "95% of the things I write are only 1-2 minutes in length, and they're not properly finished or even mixed. "

Might it be that it's not necessarily that you're unable to further improve them but it's that you get bored at some point while composing the song and do the finishing touches in a hurry thus a poorer result?

I sometimes feel like that, the song just gets tiresome and it's no fun to continue working on it so i just stop working on it out of boredom or i finish it in a hurry. But at times that this happens for me i take the opportunity to experiment with new things, try to push the limits of what i can do and it usually ends up with me creating a new song that was both fun to make and i can be proud of doing something i hadn't done before. And after doing something like that it always feels easier to go onto working on new songs with the new knowledge i obtained, to further study and master. So i guess it might be time for you to try something new, something you might find exciting

Edit: that is of course if anything i said made any sense at all...

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I need to find someone who can assist me in finishing my stuff. 95% of the things I write are only 1-2 minutes in length, and they're not properly finished or even mixed. Would be great to team up with someone to form a group--- perhaps I'll try Craigslist."

Hey Jeku, if you're ever interested in trying to collaborate on an flstudio project you can add me on msn and we can chat, kisi_er_ekki_cool@hotmail.com

Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 00:53 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2009 01:00
I like it. The intro is awesome.

It is rough, but I like the "8 bit" feel. In my opinion, the snare is too loud. Also, you may want to quantize the lead some more. In some places I felt it was a little off.

Edit:

I just checked out the two tracks on Jeku.com. They are even more awesome! I love "Isolation." You made them, right?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 02:11
Quote: " 95% of the things I write are only 1-2 minutes in length, and they're not properly finished or even mixed"

ya im pritty much in the same boat.... i write some neat stuff but it only lasts maby 30 seconds then repeats....lol

I cant waite till im finished up with qmidi3 its gunna practicaly write music for me.....lol

SMD3DInteractive

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 05:06:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 05:06:10