Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DarkGDK] Auto-Steer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 01:11 Edited at: 6th Nov 2009 01:19
Lately I've been reading up on alot of AI systems and how to implement them in games, so here's the second project I've decided to work into a useful add-on for DarkGDK. It's basically a c++ versions of the algorithms presented here:

http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/

As of now I only have the avoidance and standard seek/flee target behaviors completed, but I plan on organizing it so that you can create herds and flocks, or issue paths for an agent to follow. It would go well with my pathfinding algorithm but it's currently setup so that they wouldn't work together so I might fix that sooner or later.

Just to note, it is designed for animals/creatures/people. The agents move backwards or strafe at times depending on the behavior, so it wouldn't work with vehicles which have specifiable turn radii.

Features and Progress:

= done with no extensive testing or nearly complete
= in progress
= haven't begun
= phased out

smoothed directional changes
darkGDK linked objects
seek / flee behavior
nothing + stand ground behavior
collision avoidance
specifiable agent mass, maxForce and maxSpeed
following / avoiding behavior
flock behavior
herd behavior
path following
kinematic collisions

Note: Unfortunately I can't upload videos so there isn't much to actually show except some screenshots of behaviors being carried out.

Screenshots

Two agents avoiding a predicted collision with each other

Simple implementation using agents linked to native darkGDK objects

Attachments

Login to view attachments
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 01:13
More Screenshots...

Attachments

Login to view attachments