Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Mega Mash Mothers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 13:39 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 20:29

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted a WIP for a long time... It's about time this one got out.

Small intro...

My first DBP game...

I'm making a Super Smash Brothers Clone, only I will be adding new features such as being able to smash the B attacks (In the old one you can only smash A attacks). B attacks will also be different in the air, plus all of the Smash attacks from A and B buttons can be performed in the air.

Also, this is NOT going to be a happy game like the original, heck no. This game is going to have blood and gore in it, so be prepared

This project has been in progress for more than 16 months.

==================================================================================

Level contributions

This project is open to any levels or maps from anyone. Feel free and let your imagination roll to make fantastic maps for Mega Mash Mothers. 3 things should be considered:

-Any special effects you want in your map (like acid rising, tornadoes, ships flying through the level...) just write a short description for them and I'll code them.

-The background (if any) should not be included in the model, I code it separately. Just include (if any) the background image.

-You don't need to model anything to do with ledge grabbing, slip through the floor, walls or ground, just a brief description where you want the players to hang on/where not, where the players should slip through the ground/where not, and where the players should slide down a slope and where not.

==================================================================================

Credits

-The Crazy
--->Mewtwo Model
--->Knucklefist attack animations (all a-attacks on ground, down-a air attack)

-Southside Games
--->Battlerig level
--->Frostbite level

-Neodelito
--->Bigtoes Model

Big thanks to everyone for contributing!

Latest Screen shots

videos

Mega Mash Mothers - Update 12 - Distortion
Mega Mash Mothers - Gravity Problem
Mega Mash Mothers - Update 11 - Battle Rig
MegaMashMothers - Update 10 - Knucklefist's Attacks in Action 1
Mega Mash Mothers - Update 9 - Mewtwo Jump animations (set 1)
Mega Mash Mothers - update 8 - Mewtwo
Mega Mash Mothers - update 7 - Attack Animations
Light problem
MegaMashMothers - Update 6 - Spawn Engine
Smoke Problem
Mega Mash Mothers - Update 5 - Smoke
Update 4
Climbing Up
Update 2
Basic Moves

Downloads

Update 4-----------------------

-Lightmaps
-Distortions
-Other cool effects
-Fighting system (WIP)

Mega Mash Mothers 02_08_11.7z - 33.02 MB

Update 3-----------------------

-Complete re-write of player control using state/event method
-A wip Menu
-Attacks (wip)
-Collisions (wip)
-Mewtwo included
-10 Players activated!

RAR 26.78 MB - http://www.mediafire.com/?mmwlgkymv3m
ZIP 34.79 MB - http://www.mediafire.com/?n3mut4n1yfo

Update 2-----------------------

-JoyPad Plugin
-Hang off the edge
-Smoothed Camera

ZIP 4.73 MB - http://www.mediafire.com/?z20nmyzejtn

Test Version----------------------

-Basic Moves

7z 1.19 MB - http://www.mediafire.com/?jrdgod5dnmn
RAR 1.24MB - http://www.mediafire.com/?vwnzy2omd3m
ZIP 2.47MB - http://www.mediafire.com/?jyynwydgkjy

Note : Test versions can only be played with a Joystick or Gamepad with 1 X and Y main Analog Axis. Enter to change characters, Space to attach stick to limbs.

Enjoy!

TheComet

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow looks really awsome, I'd love to contribute whatever I can. I'm also a fan of smash bros series.
I predict DOOM
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah man this is sum auwzum juice stuff, man, sixteen!
dat mario looks amazen, u rock!
i lovz it man keep it upzorz!

Hay
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 21:24 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 21:26
Wow I just watched the video and this looks just incredibly awesome!!!
I'm a big fan of everything nintendo (thought about making a metroid prime remake) and I would be honored to contribute all I can to this!
Just tell me what you need and I'll try to fit it in my shedule!

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 21:56
Thanks everyone for your nice comments!

I think it's great that some people are showing interest in contributing to this project! If anyone has a level/map lying around that they'd like to share, I would happily include it into the game.

There has been further progress, not much though. I have animated the character to hang on to edges now. I have also set up collision so there are edges he can hang on to and edges he cannot hang on to:

~More Coming

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
What are you using to model your character?
t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2009 23:54 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 01:39
Yea, a SSB remake! I have spent many hours on that game. Hope you finish.(Fox was my preferd player)

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 07:25
@Ashingda 27

I use AC3D to model, and Character FX to animate.

@razerx

I could never stand fox... He yells too much, just like Link. I kick ass with Pikachu.

TheComet

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 12:28 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 12:29
Has anyone played SSB Brawl? It's awesome, so much stuff packed into it...

@TheComet:
What type of graphics are you after? More N64-ish (low poly, yet good looking) or rather as detailled as possible?

EDIT: And please enable keyboard controls! I have no gamepad at my computer!

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 13:33 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 13:38
Quote: "What type of graphics are you after? More N64-ish (low poly, yet good looking) or rather as detailled as possible?"

I was heading for N64-ish graphics, but that can be changed any time. I only fear that it will start to run slowly on various machines when increasing graphics, and I'll have to add timer-based movement or LOD or something... I think the gameplay is much more important than highly detailed graphics.

So yeah, N64-ish.

And don't worry, keyboard is soon fully supported including mouse and gamepad all with a nice menu to configure it.

EDIT : If you are making a level, you needn't worry about any grabbing-on or collision. I'll take care of that. If possible, add a background image in with the model, but don't implement it with the model. If you'd like to add something like the tornado in hyrule-castle or acid like on planet zebes, just give a brief description.

TheComet

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 14:52
Quote: "I think the gameplay is much more important than highly detailed graphics."

Yes, me too! Just wanted to know...

I will start working on a basic Mario Bros themed stage later.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 15:24
Looking cool, and it is nice to see another CharacterFX advocate .

One thing I'd like to say is get your collision working perfectly first. It should be the first thing you do, because it's probably the toughest part, forget AI and graphics - collision detection is a project killer. If your dangling guys from edges, then your collision detection will have to be spot on. So I would suggest you get that working perfectly, so your totally happy with it, then go onto the other (hopefully more fun) aspects.

I'd hate to see this get so far then be lost because of seemingly uncontrollable issues, like collision problems. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2009 01:17
I thank you in advance, Pauli!

Quote: "One thing I'd like to say is get your collision working perfectly first. It should be the first thing you do, because it's probably the toughest part, forget AI and graphics - collision detection is a project killer. If your dangling guys from edges, then your collision detection will have to be spot on. So I would suggest you get that working perfectly, so your totally happy with it, then go onto the other (hopefully more fun) aspects."

That statement is perfectly true. In fact, the collision is the first thing I did get done. But I think the animation control is much harder to program than collision, to be honest... Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to always do collision first.

Luckily I learned how to go about with states and events in a program at school, or I'd probably be screwed right now.

TheComet

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 15:01
Yeah man this is sum auwzum juice stuff, man, sixteen!
dat mario looks amazen, u rock!
i lovz it man keep it upzorz!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 14:41
Lol, thanks. Erm, what does that mean? :-|

TheComet?

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 17:34
Looks great, I like the title ! Keep it up!

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 18:15
Very well done! I'm amazed! I plugged in my old Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad just to try it out. Very slick. Good job.

Your mother has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good! But one question, how are you going to do the difficulty, because Mario on the handheld consoles were ridiculously hard.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2009 13:39
Thanks everyone

Progress has continued, nothing I can show yet though. I have come across a problem whilst working on my joypad plugin. The "set control device" command is WAY to slow to control multiple joysticks at once. I don't know how to go around this. It's probably going to be some DLL or I could open separate program windows for each joystick which then pass the input information to the main program. But I don't know how fast that will run with 10 Joysticks...

@Master13

I'll probably do the same as on the N64 with a level from 1-9. I have no idea how I'll program it yet, but it's going to be tough to get anything near something that is hard to beat...

What handheld consoles are you referring to?

TheComet

CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What handheld consoles are you referring to?"

Nintendo DS, and GameBoy Advance Marios.

http://csgm.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=63340546
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2009 14:55
Quote: "It's probably going to be some DLL or I could open separate program windows for each joystick which then pass the input information to the main program. But I don't know how fast that will run with 10 Joysticks..."

You can do this with the GLFW dll - I can't remember exactly how. It's a really powerful gamepad system though; you don't need to restart the app every time you add a pad.

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
TheComet, this is just an idea, but the attacks should be simple calls right?

The AI in SSB is based on combos, distance, and player location. How often the shields are used, how fast they can get calculated, etc. I'm basically saying pulling of timing and combos based on location is what makes the thing difficult. It also made the game super-easy once you figure out that's all they do.

But Melee has a tougher AI than SSB, can't help you regarding that.

FS

Signed
------
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 13:50
Quote: "Nintendo DS, and GameBoy Advance Marios."

I never played those... I didn't know there was a SSB on the Nintendo DS, I'll have to look at that!

@ NeX

Thanks! I'll try to implement that into my game.

@fs

The attacks in my game will be set up the same way as in SSB64. Each attack refers to a number. So I can just say player_move=16 and the player will do an A-smash up. When I was tinkering with a hex editor to look at the machine code of SSB64, I found that exact variable. Every move is assigned to a value. So once I get that done, the AI shouldn't really be that hard to do. Just like you said: Distance, location and angle calculations.

@ All

I have almost completed the Joypad configuration menu. It supports any input from any joystick and also supports the keyboard. I would have added the mouse, but DBP didn't like it, so I took it out again. But seriously... Who would use a mouse to play SSB?

I have been addicted to StarCraft lately, so the menu sort of turned out to be a StarCraft menu... If you have any suggestions for changes in design, graphics or feel in the menu, please comment.

Screenies:

I have also worked on the hanging-off-the-edge move, and this is what it looks like:

More to come~

TheComet

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 13:57
If you want a nicer bitmap font I have a tool that comes with GLBasic which allows you to turn any ttf into an antialiased bitmap.

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2010 21:39
Let's say I'm a complete n00b in that area... Does this mean I have every letter from the font in a .bmp format? What advantages does that have? Sorry if the answer is that obvious...

TheComet

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2010 22:15
Oh, are you using the built in text functions? The text you've got on there looked like a bad bitmap font - no antialias and very hard to read owing to it being too chunky.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jan 2010 22:22
I Predict DOOM and Profit said the exact same things...are they the same person?

Anyhoo Comet, this looks great! Would you mind sharing how you created hanging-on-the-edge collision? I've always wondered how one would implement such a thing.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 00:02 Edited at: 10th Jan 2010 22:01
Quote: "Oh, are you using the built in text functions? The text you've got on there looked like a bad bitmap font - no antialias and very hard to read owing to it being too chunky."

Ah, sorry... Yes, I am using the built in text functions and a crunched up font... But thanks a lot for offering your help! Do you have a better suggestion for a font?

Quote: "Anyhoo Comet, this looks great! Would you mind sharing how you created hanging-on-the-edge collision? I've always wondered how one would implement such a thing."

Thanks!

The way I did the hang on edge is I placed hidden plain objects at the edge, and I cast a ray in front of the player a bit in front of their hands downwards. If the ray collides with a plain, I position the player at the collision point and play the hang animation until the A, B, or Joystick is moved. The animation does everything, I just have to keep the object positioned there until the animations are completed (If you look at the image where mario is hanging in the animation program, you will notice that his hands are at position 0, and his whole body is beneath the floor. If I position him at the collision point, he will look like he is hanging.)

TheComet

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 00:31
Well that technique sounds simple enough! Great idea! I think I might try and implement it in my platform game for NaGaCreMo.

Btw, I don't have a joystick to test this out...if I did I so totally would! Keep up the good looking work!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2010 20:08 Edited at: 16th Feb 2010 20:12
Update!

I remapped the lighting of Mario and the level (took AGES), and added a nice background:

I don't really like the background, so for now it's a place-holder.

Many of you complained that you didn't have a joystick to test, so luckily I also completed the JoyPad Plugin. It allows you to set the controls yourself before the game, and you can also set it to use the keyboard. When exiting the game and restarting it, it will load the last settings you configured.

Please be aware that you must have plugged in all joysticks before starting the app. Multiple Joysticks are not available yet, but you can have a 2 player game on the keyboard and the joypad.

I also smoothed the camera to give a smoother game feeling.

Here is a video showing the Joypad plugin, the "hanging off the edge" move and the "out of bounds" ring:

The Video

And here is a download of the game:

The Download

Enjoy!

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2010 01:28
Another Update!

Mario now has 6 different climbing up animations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdHOqGbj4HA

TheComet

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2010 01:34
Looking Good Comet!......coming along quite nice,there. I'll have to download the game and test - but the youtubes look nice.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2010 01:40
Actually looks really good dude! I'm impressed =]

Want to work on Desolation? Click my sig!!!
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2010 03:17
Me luz dis.

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2010 23:27
Looks wonderful!

Good luck!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 02:44 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 11:12
Thanks a lot guys!

Does anyone know a good lightmapping program?

Right now I am going through the optimization process (remove and shorten unnecessary code, get rid of surfaces on models that won't be seen, smooth animations and add more expression, reformat textures etc...), and I think it paid off, since the frame rate went from 65 to 66

I got around to animating the edge balancing move, where you go to the edge slowly and the character leans over it, almost falling off. I also got the shield up and running, but it needs some more polishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikzn0oqCrVE&feature=channel

Now this level is very special. The first model I made of it was 4 years ago, I included it in a game I called "Kirby Smash", which was my first attempt to make a ssb clone. It failed. Miserably.

Anyway, I recreated and styled it a bit more, and this is how it turned out:

More updates coming~

TheComet

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 17:14 Edited at: 21st Feb 2010 17:15
Hey Comet, try gile[s] for lightmapping:

http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=giles.about

Oh, and by the way, edge balancing looks nice =]

Want to work on Desolation? Click my sig!!!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 19:57
Hi, Comet, this really looks MEGA, dude! Awesome! Nice animations and interaction with the world! Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
Kryogenik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 20:48
Wow, man. This looks nice. I really like the animations on mario. I can't wait to get a demo of this What kind of time frame you thinking of finishing this, want to play this really bad! Anyway, keep up the good work.

Codesurge is so awesome, thanks Hyrichter.
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 00:43 Edited at: 4th Mar 2010 03:52
man im working on a smash brothers clone too. started a year ago and i have most smash brothers 64 maps redone, i also have some melee and brawl stages. i released a video about the game... fraps lags it too XD lol .. i have advanced a lot since that video... tell me if you are interested and we can make a great game together. only prob is, im making it in DGDK which is faster.

hi
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 16:04
@ FireIndy

Thanks for the link! I'll give it a go

@ The Slayer

Thanks!

@ Kryogenik

Thank you! In the first post on this page, there is a demo download. It is under the section "update 2".

Quote: "What kind of time frame you thinking of finishing this, want to play this really bad! Anyway, keep up the good work."

...You can't time Art...

This may take as long as SoulHunter, because I have HUGE plans. But I estimate maybe 2 years? I have no idea

@ Cetobasilius

I will have to consider it first. Can you give me a link of your video? Can you program DBP? My e-mail is in my profile, please give a response.

@ All

An awesome idea struck me with this game. I won't tell anything yet, only thing I can say is that the idea is similar to the idea Rare had when making Conkers Bad Fur Day on the N64...

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 18:07
I've just played the demo in the original post, and it's pretty cool. I don't really have much to say considering it still seems in early stages, although control-wise I'd like to say a couple of things...

I've never been a fan of the way running is handled control-wise, it'd be much better if when using the d-pad you could hold a button to run (or walk, allowing the default to be set in the options), and when using the analogue stick pushing far to one side will result in running.

Also, allowing jump to be mapped to a button would be nice. I realise the original (and no doubt the sequels) use 'up' for it, but having it on a button would feel more natural to me personally.

Anyway, I like it so far. Seems pretty smooth and it seems like you've got a good base here.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 22:53
@Benjamin

Thanks!

Quote: "I've never been a fan of the way running is handled control-wise, it'd be much better if when using the d-pad you could hold a button to run (or walk, allowing the default to be set in the options), and when using the analogue stick pushing far to one side will result in running."

I agree with the d-pad, but the problem with the analogue stick is that it will be become way too hard to then walk at a slow speed. I always found it easy that a smash to the left or right would enable running, and a non-smash to the left or right will only let you walk. I will consider your suggestion of course, and will and add it to the menu to give it a go myself.

What I admire about Nintendo is that they could squeeze tons of moves into just four buttons, where if I look at Playstation, you use at least 8 different buttons for the same amount of moves. I want to try and keep it to the way Nintendo had it.

Quote: "Also, allowing jump to be mapped to a button would be nice. I realise the original (and no doubt the sequels) use 'up' for it, but having it on a button would feel more natural to me personally."

The original (N64) did have the jump move mapped to a button, it was the top 'c' button. I don't know about melee or brawl though... Anyway, the demo SHOULD have a jump button enabled... Did you download the "Basic moves" demo or the "update 2" demo? It should be in the "update 2".

So thanks a lot for your feedback and everyone else's feedback, I really appreciate it!

TheComet

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 13:31
just looked at ur banner so i thought i would check it out, i have to say: iam amazed! it looks very good, although, marios head COULD use some improvements, but not necessarily since it looks good=) and if u have done the textures on the castle and mario then u DONT SUCK AT TEXTURING, it is awesome!

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 06:27 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2010 09:32
i have a video but its version 27... here is the video... dont have a name for it yet. ive named it after me lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUph3iiVFw

the game version right now is 52... will upload video soon when i finish some items code.

Fraps slows the gameplay and animations a bit. lots of new things are done... i saw your work and it is good. Maybe we can work separatley and share some tips/models(i use cfx for animation too) although my game is aimed to melee style graphics.. and some sort of mix between killer instinct and brawl fighting style... with combo breakers and final smashes and all that sort of things. although my game is right now capped to 6 players but will have up to 12 online. wont say more so you dont get too excited! :p i made/replicated all maps in the video + many more. and i have other characters too... im working on the code as i said and have not updated other characters. hope we can talk later

hi
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 12:18
@ Cetobasilius

I am impressed by your level design! Did you use lightmaps or real-time shadows?

Let's do a I-could-improve-this-on-your-game-and-you-could-improve-this-on-my-game thing. I think you need better animations on your characters. PM me and we can discuss this matter further.

TheComet

Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 00:48
hehe ive sent u an email... check your inbox i know about the animations fraps doesnt like them! it slows it down a lot! when ive advanced further ill let you be the first tester! (aside from me and my friends )

hi
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2010 22:05
@ Everyone

Thank you for all of your nice comments!

Progress speed is slim, but I finished my light editor, and this is what the levels look like all lit up:

Next up : The "Spawn-anything-anywhere-engine", short : SAAE.

TheComet

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice keep it up!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:13:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:13:21