Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Asteroids 3D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 23:01 Edited at: 15th Dec 2009 08:53
Finally finished with my second retro remake, Asteroids 3D!

It's fully featured, including changing camera angles and a special Dark Mode like in my Space Invaders clone, where you can only see by the light of your shots.

Thanks to everyone who helped out on this, particularly Outscape for his mini-tutorial on squeezing out system resources.

There are a few bugs, but I feel the game is releasable. Bugs are mentioned in the readme, and if anyone thinks they might be able to help, please do drop me a line.

I hope everybody enjoys it!

Sanba Games: Because We Can

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 09:36 Edited at: 15th Dec 2009 09:42
well, it ran way too choppy for me to get a good look at things. i played a few levels, tho (how i completed levels, i don't know), and it was fun in the top-down mode (3d mode was pretty confusing to me). it really didn't feel like asteroids™ movement, tho. is there drift, etc? otherwise, the particles killed my FPS and i think i saw asteroids spawn out of the middle of nowhere once or twice (the one time i remember, my FPS dropped to ~10 before they showed. no particles around to cause the FPS drop so, dunno...). also, in top-down mode, the thrust trails go "down" (below the ship) instead of behind it, i think. and, i won't rehash the bugs you already mentioned in the readme.

<shrugs>

thanks for sharing

oh, back: replayed it and remembered one other bug. i think you know it already but the ship can outrun the laser shot. and, yeah, there is "drift". i also noted that the particles weren't so much causing the lag as i thought. maybe it's collision or something else.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
SanBa Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 10:03
That's weird, I ran it on a computer with lesser specs than yours and it ran at a consistent 30 FPS. Can anyone else let me know if it's running too laggy on their systems?

Oh, and do you mind explaining "the thrust trails go "down" (below the ship) instead of behind it?" I looked closer and I'm not sure I get what you mean. It seems to be coming out properly for me.

Sanba Games: Because We Can
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2009 16:05
Well, it keeps around 38 fps here all the time.

I like the spaceship, that looks futuristic, while maintaining the original classic design.
Also, the big asteroids maintain the frightening sensation of the original.

I was able to stay around for some levels in 2d, re-charging shields with some little things that were appearing.

First person view was more challenging, as you have to be aware of your speed direction and look around all the time to avoid incoming asteroids.
I suggest including the 2d top view in the 1st person camera mode, as a little radar in one corner of the screen.

Dark mode was challenging as well, I wanted to turn on the front lights of my spaceship
Game pro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 12:38
Quote: "That's weird, I ran it on a computer with lesser specs than yours and it ran at a consistent 30 FPS. Can anyone else let me know if it's running too laggy on their systems?
"

For me, it runs fine unless you go into turbo mode(ie while holding the upkey).

Check out my developer forums at:
http://archaicstudios.net/forums
TazMan47
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded your Asteroids 3D game and I must say I really enjoy playing it. I've always enjoyed Asteroids and this one will remain on my computer for daily play. Thanks.

Are You Rapture Ready?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 14:03:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 14:03:19