Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Boxman (working title) - First Person 3D Platformer + Level Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 23:09 Edited at: 15th Dec 2009 22:45
CUBID (old title is Boxman)

First Person Platformer + Level Editor

UPDATED December 15th, 2009

*ORIGINAL POST BELOW*

Hi all,

Here is the WIP demo of the game I'm working on - Boxman (don't worry - it's a working title). Basically the point of the game is/will be to go jump around platforms/blocks, collect coins, avoid traps, use teleporters, etc...

While I plan to include several levels in Boxman, the game will be built around the Boxman Level Editor (let's call it the BLE for now). With the BLE, I want players to be able to put together fun, expansive levels (though limited to 16x16 for now) quickly and easily. In fact, the two levels that are included with this demo I put together in about 5 minutes each (I know, you can't tell by the ingenious design ). The BLE currently allows texture choosing, multiple levels (with blocks being able to be above or below each other in complete 3D space), and player placement all within an easy-to-learn 2D grid-based editor.

Currently, I have the jumping and collision engine down (thanks Sparky's Collision DLL, and Sparky!), the level editor down (with saving and loading), and the loading and generation of levels down (with much help from TDK's file handling tutorial). From here on I'm going to be working on adding more objects, making gameplay smoother, adding a decent HUD/gui, and improving the graphics (I want a cartoony look, but I think I definitely need to improve some of my textures).

So, without further adieu, here are some screenies, and attached is .ZIP file which includes the game, the level editor and two "sample" levels (really, just samples - no actual gameplay).

PLEASE tell me about any problems you have (the more detail the better though), or if you have any criticism, questions or even praise (haha).

Thanks for checking this out!

-scutheotaku

PS : This will be my first actual DarkBasic game! Yay!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 23:24
Looks good man, cartoony games are the best

It reminds me of the style of games I used to try and make with the John series, so I'm a fan. xD

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 23:36
Looks cool. Can you elaborate on what sort of traps/puzzles/powerups you'll have available?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
scutheotaku
Years of Service
User Offline
@C0wbox
Thanks, I agree - I love cartoony stuff And, John looks pretty cool - I'll check it out.

@tiresius
Thanks. On the traps, I'm going to start with basic "arrows coming out of wall" traps and "killzones" and go from there.

Also, NOTE : The version of the editor I provided probably won't work due to a pretty newbish mistake I made (pretty bad, since I'm definitely no newb at the program I made it with, haha). Attached to this post is the fixed editor (not zipped or anything, so you might wanna Right-Click>>>Save Target As).

Attachments

scutheotaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Attached to this post is a screenshot of the shader I'm using at the moment (it's the relief_mapping shader that comes with DBP in the ShaderDemo). I really like the look of it (it has a cool plasticy look, but it's pretty slow. It also screws up the lighting (though I don't quite have a full grasp on the built-in lighting - it seems to not work right sometimes?).

Do you guys know of any other shaders that would be faster but look similar? I looked at the free shader pack that's on the forums, but nothing really had the same look, if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

-scutheotaku

PS : You should see the grass texture with the shader on (and in good lighting). It looks awesome

Attachments

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 11:17
Try adding this:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=162570&b=8

That will correct the slightly blurry surfaces when viewed at an angle or at a distance.

scutheotaku
Years of Service
User Offline
@kaedroho
Thanks for the help, but it seems you linked back to this topic?

CUBID - a cartoony First Person Platformer + Level Editor
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=162570&b=8
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 21:26
heh, i think he meant this

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Die by something special
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2010 16:11
Looks maximum fun and better than the best,with one word FANTASTIC!
But what it is gonna be,Fps,mmorpg or a 3D game?
I wish you luck.

That hit me!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-28 21:26:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-28 21:26:56