Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Slowing down a Dark Physics simulation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I have been working on a rigid body character controller substitute for some time now. The seemingly last hurdle is the fact that if a very small force is applied to the rigid body, it will not effect the rigid body at all even with linear damping and friction set to 0. If I increase the force, the character would move too quickly for my needs. I have tried playing with PHY SET FIXED TIMING and it does slow down the visual speed of my character but if makes the rigid body's motion all jittery. So in general, in what ways can I slow down a physics simulations while keeping a constant force applied and a constant 60 fps without jittery motion?

thank you.
Duke E
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2010 09:02 Edited at: 6th Jan 2010 02:31
You problem is not the timing but probably the friction on the surface (i assume you use a box type dynamic object that you push over the surface?). When you apply force it will stick at low speeds unless both surfaces are frictionless. Can't have the floor frictionless though, other object will behave like they are on an ice-rink
Try a different method for applying the force? I have no documentation handy but some of the commands to apply force handles differently. "Phy Set" and "Phy Add" force behaves differently if i remember correctly.

I tried this method a while back but i wanted the CC to move over other dynamics not plow trough them so i discarded the idea quickly. Ended up using the standard capsule CC.

Edit:
Remembered "Phy Set Rigid Body Sleep Linear Velocity", if this is not set the object will go to sleep and not move at low speeds.

Regards

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:12:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:12:47