Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / The bugs that *me* cry ..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 14:06
This is stuff I think needs priority for patch 3, because it's ruined a host of game ideas:

1. Free flight rotation and z rotation. Please fix this soon. It's ruining all my even slightly complex physics engines and games.

2. Polygon collision is unreliable. This has ruined my space strategy sim!

3. It's impossible to scroll the texture on an object that has been loaded in as a .X This is ruining my other game. Every time I start a new game another new bug halts my progress.

4. Something is also wrong with the lighting. I know it's set up strangely, so maybe I'm making a mistake. However, when I delete all lights and put ambient light on 0 and make light 0 a directional light that points down, I still get very obscure lighting. I dont think it calculates it correctly.

5. Get ground height() has a strange offset which causes some problems.

Anyway, that's what's ruining my dbpro experience. Any chance of those being sorted in patch 3?
Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
TheNVS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 20:09
hey, let this topic be where you could post all the bugs that was found and post any idea that needs to be added/fixed. if you have a bug, read all the bugs found here and if that bug was not descibed, post it here. just keep it plain and simple. if Fallout does not say "make your own bug topic" and the db team does not mind, do it.

i think that darkbasic pro needs to run programs a lot faster as of when you press F5 and executes like how darkbasic v1 does it instantly. just to make programing a lot faster. i think it might be a little slow becasue of the program making a new window or something.

TheNVS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 20:11
i forgot to say that one of the good things of doing this is to see the known bad bugs posted here, fixed in the next patch.

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 21:56
TBH, this thread really aint helpful, simply saying something like "Polygon collision is unreliable" does not mean it is broken, How do we know whither it is DBpro or the coders mistake? Post some code. And for all that i know i cant see how it is possible that unreliable polygon collision can stop you working on a game, there is a lot of other stuff you can do in the meantime.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 22:03
We really do need a list of all known bugs,it would also stop people asking the same questions.

JimB

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 22:33
ya, but we need a bug forum for this, these shouldn't be all over the main board!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
TheNVS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 01:03
a forum would be nice for bug finds. it would be a lot better. but if the darkbasic team are too lazy(a joke) or have a reason not to make another forum(or maybe they never thought of it) then we could just make just one topic full of a bug list. the darkbasic team do want to make this forum neat and i think this might help. that way as JimB said, it would stop people asking the same question and maybe stop making a topic that they found a bug and many other good reasons. like i said, just claim your bad bug plian and simple like a list. i think this would help good in the future but i also think someone is going to say bad about this idea. btw, i used Fallout topic instead of makning my own because since he said "The bugs that *me* cry ..", this might be a good bug list to post at. and we would like to see these bugs fixed in the patch three. i feel there is going to be a lot of bugs, so darkbasic team, good luck.

to get the bug and idea list started,
i suggest that the programers be allowed to have several windows in dbp window so that they could switch projects like in darkbasic v.1(the 1 and 2 buttons the the exit button at the topright)

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 10:27
Double integers passed to DLL's aren't passed correctly and corrupts the next passed value.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 20:16
Rich recently said, that some free weekend he will implement a bug board and move posts to it!

so its only a matter of when he has time

Dazzy
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 23:19
Good - They do need to be all in one place...

Yes, I really am THAT good...
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 00:35
I haven't found any bugs that hinder my game programming progress at all!! *gasp!* That's probably because I implement orientations and velocities and collision manually using sin and cos and such like (if at all), and I can usually find different ways to code things.
TheNVS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 02:10
Dazzy, it is great that Rich is going to do so. since you said(that he said) that he will move all the posts(bug) to that location in his free time, we could continue the bug list at only this topic(another if this gets full) if you need to spill out that bad bug that you hate. becasue a lot of people makes a topic about something that does not work. and the db team or Rich does want to keep this forum clean. i will wait till the forum is made and not post any bugs(i have patients). plus if you guys see a programer that posted another bug topic, tell him to post it here.

though, i have been thinking how the bug forum is going to run successfuly. i mean, it would be annoying to click on one topic and load the page just to see the bug. it might as well be a special forum or board so that bugs could be easily viewed. once the bug is fixed, Rich could delete that post or writing(if the forum is specail) or say it is fixed.

TheDarthster, damn you. you live a happy life without going through bugs that are driving people crazy.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 14:37
Lee confirmed the poly collision problems, so it's not me!

The bug board would be cool.

And also Darthster, for the zrotation problem, 3d maths would not help you. zrotate object simply doesnt work. You can't rotate an object on it's own z-axis currently, and I've spent hours scribbling down formulae to come up with a mathematical work around, but I don't think it's possible using the current command set.

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:53:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:53:31