Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Darkvee's 2D shooter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 06:07 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 09:13
New! Darkvee's 2D shooterV 1.1d 2010 By Joshua T Garland

I added more player controls
I fixed it when the player respawns the ufo's don't shoot at you
I added a menu highlighter
you can now navigate through the menus without a mouse!
I added some music to the main menu
I added some sounds to the buttons with joystick, and some with the mouse
I Fixed some buggs.
I added joystick support, so now you can use your controller
Fixed some sync problems now it really runs smooth. lol
Fixed a bug were you die, and its game over the ufo's will run into you then you blow up. lol
Fixed the invisible thing when your invisible I had people complain it was on to long so its fixed now.
I fixed alot of performance problems now you get an extra 60 fps!
I fixed some collision bugs.

You can't tell it in the game, because i'm using a 60 refresh rate.
However I did test it, and it got over 120 fps with the 60 refresh rate off.
When I first took refresh rate off the game ran 60 fps. lol
After the performance enhancements now you get an extra 60 fps or more depending your pc.
I'm also on a very slow laptop.

I added a new feature. Now the game automatically pauses the game if your at the main menu or in game.
when you get ready to hit alt, and tab to go to a different window or something.
Also you can hit the start menu in game and automatically pauses the game.
To un-pause it just use the M key for both the main menu, and in game.

This a 2D shooter that challenges the player.

Its basically a arcade shooter that takes your coins.
The good thing is you don't need coins for this game

You start out at level 1 stage, and each level has 4 stages.
For each stage you make it passed the ufos increase, and fire rate increases.

This keeps the game always challenging so you don't get bored.
The game is like the ufo's adapt to you. So its always challenging you.

You also start out with each level 3 power bombs. Make sure you use them wisely, because it can save you big time when your in trouble.

The score starts out with 100 then increases each time you make it through a stage.

I got all my idea's in the game, and I
I made this game for me, and I figured I would share it.

Make sure you read the readme file that's included with the game.

I also included shortcut keys in the game also.
For example hit H for help to see how you play during game or at the main menu.

I would to get some comments on this I would like to think what everyone else thinks.

If its possible I like to have alot of people commenting on this thank you.

I would also like to think my friend Boom for putting the game on a good server.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

darkvee
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 19:15
hey Vee

Upload some screenshots so people can see that this is a quality game. You have done yourself proud with this one, hopefully you learnt a lot whilst on the devhat IRC network

Well done

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 23:20
wow, looks awesome !

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 05:02
downloaded and played it. it's pretty addictive! the graphics are great. controls work well. it's very fast paced and fun... really good job on this........

gamer, lover, filmmaker
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 05:58 Edited at: 26th Jan 2010 06:10
Wow!!!! Comments!!!

Hi guys thank you so much!
I should have uploaded screenshots sooner!
I finally have some people commenting on it.
I uploaded some screenshots to it.

You don't know how much this really helps me it has made my day!!!

Thank you Mnemonix! for the comments about that its a quailty game, and about being proud of myself man thanks!!!

Thank you Valle! glad you saw it as awsome! looking game thanks for that comment!!

Thank you Seppgirty! glad you found it pretty addictive, and the graphics worked great too! I'm very glad you had fun on it.
I put alot of effort into it thanks man!

Thank you guys you really made my day!!!

Mnemonix I have learned alot on devhat, and didn't have others in the lobby really supporting me. They really didn't like to help me. They thought it was a like chore, and thought I was a noob. I was a noob I will admit, and I was kind of hard to teach, but I thank everyone in the lobby who put up with me. I owe Geecee3 alot of respect his the one that believed in me, and helped me out alot I owe him alot thank you so much Geecee3!!!

I also owe ZKAT for tutoring me when no one else did it.
I paid money for it. Finally all the hard work, and all the money I sunk into learning to program finally paid off!

What really made it happen was my never quit. I had this attitude that was never going give up. I was really was really determined to learn.

I found out why it took me so long was, because I program for maybe 1 hour a day. Geecee3 told me if you really want to learn. You need to program alot more. He told me to try programming for hours. So each day I program 10 or more hours a day.

I finally got really good , but I know there is more I can learn,
but this is a very big milestone for me. Its a goal that I have finally reached!

Now people are starting to look up to me more then a noo,b so this is a very good feeling to have you can't ask for more.

darkvee
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 08:25
looks good!

but you might want to make the edges of the buttons ( in first pic ) alpha channeled, would look much better.

but yeah, it looks nice

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW MORE COMMENTS!!! KEEP THEM COMMING

Thanks Hassan
I'm glad you like it!

The picture on pic 2 for some reason its showing pixel's that look square. It doesn't show that in the game.

Only thing you might see is the explosions it might some some pixels, but thats it.

darkvee
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 16:58
Good job, Vee

NaGaFailMo.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to see less repetition in the graphics, but it looks good.

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Pincho Paxton! thanks for taking your time out man, and posting your comment!

I really appreciate it.

darkvee
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 23:29 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2010 23:30
Hi guys I was going to tell you I released a new version!
It fixes all the lagg, and collison problems if you experinced it.

If you had a movie playing or hit alt+ tab, and did something then went back you would have some lagg issues, and some other nasty problems.
Now there all fixed thank god. lol
I also added a new feature. So check it out.

darkvee
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 14:40 Edited at: 21st Jan 2011 05:53
thanks Jimmy

darkvee
Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 01:30
"Could not load sound at line 4022"

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
I dunno what to tell you Valle. After I saw your post I had others and myself who just downloaded it, and played it. They said it worked fine with no errors.

darkvee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 05:22 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 05:23
nice little shooter, darkvee. i'd be happier if i could set controls up to something like arrow keys and z+x for fire buttons (and why don't people add gamepad support? it's not too difficult ). there's a little jerkiness in the scrolling, too, that makes me think you're not using the vsync flag. ie,

set display mode 1024, 768, 32, 1

it really helps smooth things out for some users (like me).

so, maybe give us control(s) and vsync options? high scores would be nice, too

otherwise, it's fun. thanks for sharing!

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 15:44 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 21:50
Hi Virtual Nomad thanks for comment!
I'm very glad you liked it!

Sure I can add gamepad controls no problem, and I will use that set display mode 1024, 768, 32, 1 as you suggested.

I will admit I never used the VSyncOn before, I always used timerbased movement.

Yes! The VSyncOn really did helped lol thanks!

darkvee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 18:51 Edited at: 7th Feb 2010 18:57
some new issues arise with the 1.1b release. here are some thoughts:

0) the orginal download was much faster. this time through it seemed to be capped at ~80k

1) thanks for adding gamepad support. i enjoy playing it much more now.

1a) while the gamepad is in for gameplay, it should remain functional within the menu system as well. it's inconvenient to go from gamepad to mouse to gamepad, etc.. other games work this way, and it's equally annoying. with the basic menu system in use here, there's no need to rely strictly on the mouse.

2) VSync =

3) after about 3-4 times through, my ship disappeared from the screen, never to return. i believe it was to do with the (new?) "would you like to continue" prompt as it occured during a restart. also, the "continue" prompt only showed up once or twice? do i need to get to a certain score to be able to continue? i'll try to re-create the missing ship and see if i can provide more feedback on this issue.

4) why disable the ESC key? also, i understand why you added LeftAlt = Pause but it should also Un-Pause, and RightCtrl = QUIT?

that's it for now. thanks for the update

back: re: issue # 3 above. from your other thread:
Quote: "Fixed the invisible thing when your invisible I had people complain it was on to long so its fixed now."

you mean "invisible" as in when you flash/re-spawn? regardless, it's not "fixed", as far as i can tell <shrugs>

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 18:58 Edited at: 7th Feb 2010 18:59
Good game, but some things...

1.) The Player Bullet Collision is really annoying.
(Red = how it is | Green = how it should be)

2.) Please add a health bar. 1 Hit = Death is Contra like and not good.

3.) Add items like health, new weapons or something.

4.) New Game should start at Level 1 Stage 1, and not the last stage you visited. (Well, if you don't add a health bar and items, it's better how it is.)

5.) The Score resets every Stage. What's the point of the score then?

But i like your game. Keep it up.
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 22:49 Edited at: 7th Feb 2010 23:25
Hi Virtual Nomad
Quote: "i understand why you added LeftAlt = Pause but it should also Un-Pause, and RightCtrl = QUIT?"

I told you in the help file to hit M to un-pause the game when you do that. Also if you use the start button or the alt, and tab you can un-pause it from main menu or in game with joystick button fire D.

Yes Right control equals quit.

Quote: "you mean "invisible" as in when you flash/re-spawn? regardless, it's not "fixed", as far as i can tell <shrugs>"

Hi the invisible timer is lower now it was 5 seconds its 3 seconds now.

The scoring system you start out at 100. Each stage increases to 5 points , but its not about your score its about how far you can get.

After it says game over you should be able to always contuine on your last level, and stage. Just hit start game again ,and it loads the last saved spot.

ANyways

Quote: "after about 3-4 times through, my ship disappeared from the screen, never to return"

I'm not sure about this I never had this happened going to check it out thanks for telling me.

Hi Gunslinger i'm glad you liked it
I just looked over my code to make sure, and its using sprite hit. It's doing pixel collision, and not bounding like you showed in that image.

The only thing I can think of is when a playerBullet hits a ufo it disappears, so thats why you don't see that bullet passing through it. I made it that way, so it like acts like a real bullet if it hit a plane the bullet would disappear with that plane.

Quote: "New Game should start at Level 1 Stage 1, and not the last stage you visited. "

There is a big reason why. It would be impossible to go all the way from the first to the last level, so that's why I made it save your game after you hit start again.

Thanks for the comments!

darkvee
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure? Hmm wierd, thought the ship exploded without a hit...
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 23:28 Edited at: 7th Feb 2010 23:52
Only thing I could do is make it explode faster then it does, so its more of instant then like a delay. I figured if a bullet hits a fuel tank then there is a delay before it explodes. I sometimes over think stuff. lol

I think I fixed that problem now when you shot the explosion plays alittle bit faster. I think what happened the time delayed was to slow, and made it look like it was using bounding.

I still havn't found the bugg the ship disappears, and doesn't come back.

Can anyone be my game tester? i'm on msn messager at coolsurfer72@hotmail.com

darkvee
Rasdini
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Darkvee,

Cool game, like the action. Did you check out my game StarField. It's near the bottom of the screen or pushed to next page. I would like your opinion, and perhaps some tips on increasing frame rate. If you try starfield, it has some slow down issues that aren't that bad. Maybe there is nothing that can be done as it is all with 3D objects.

Thanks,

Rich

Richard
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Rasdini that's awsome man! I'm glad you like it.
Sure I will check that game out right now.

darkvee
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys I just wanted to let you know i'm programming the joystick as we speak , so you can navigate with the joystick through the menu's, and we did with the mouse.

I added a highlighter so you can see what your doing.

darkvee
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright it's done I just uploaded the new version.
Check it out!

darkvee
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 18:28
Quote: "its using sprite hit. It's doing pixel collision, and not bounding like you showed in that image"

'sprite hit' IS bounding collision like what is shown on the image...

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 18:49 Edited at: 9th Feb 2010 19:23
Quote: "'sprite hit' IS bounding collision like what is shown on the image..."

Hi Diggsey
I just checked to make sure in my DarkBASIC Pro Game Programming Second Edition by Jonathan S. Harbour book, because your a good programmer.
It says sprite collision is bounding collision, and sprite hit actally does perfect pixel collision.
So what are you talking about?

darkvee
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 18:53
Your book is wrong.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 19:47
Hi darkvee, I would like to say that your game is good, but it could have some improvements, like give the player the opportunity to change the keys (I prefer the arrow keys and spacebar to shoot), set the difficulty level of the first levels a bit easier, and when the player dies you should try to let the bad guys disappear aswell, because when the player respawns, the aliens directly attack you. Other than that, I like it.

Good work! Keep it up!

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess you are right. I didn't figure that guy with his programming experience he would have made a mistake like this. lol

darkvee
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Slayer thanks for checking out the game, and telling me your thoughts.
I'm very glad you thought it was good.

I can add the arrows keys, and space bar that's no problem.
I can change were the ufo's don't shoot at you when you respawn.

The difficulty settings suppose to be hard like a arcade game that takes your quarters.

The cool thing is you can always continue to that level, and stage after it says game over. Just hit start again to go to that last saved place.

I will try to have improvements that has the features you talked about in 1 hour or less.

Thanks for your comments The Slayer Keep them comming guys!

darkvee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 20:33
definitely no pp collision, darkvee. no matter because whatever you're using now is working fine. i haven't witnessed any collision issues.

re: latest update:

i'm hooked; very fun the graphics/fx on lvl 2 were very nice; i felt rewarded for making it past lvl 1 when lvl 2 was revealed (the lvl 2 - game over screenshot above doesn't do the graphics justice).

lvl 3 is another story. everything is green making it near-impossible to see enemy shots, tho i'm not giving up just yet. i'm determined to finish this game

for some reason, the first time running the new version and the joystick controls during the menu didn't function. i could hear the "click" but the highlighter never moved from "start". i played a bit, quit, then re-started and the joystick-in-menu worked fine (and stayed fine). thanks for adding this.

to follow up on what i thought was an issue with "continue game", i think what was going on was that i never completed lvl 1 - stage 1 . the one time it worked for me was probably the one time i finished the first stage. heh. so, sorry for mis-leading feedback on that. everything seems fine, now

also, i recorded gameplay into lvl 3 but won't be posting it since the results weren't an accurate rendition of the game (everything stutters too much in my recording ). the primary reason was to try and document the "ship goes invisible and stays that way" issue. alas, it never happened in the 10-15 mins i recorded, so that's a good thing what i did seem to notice a few times were enemy shots appearing at the enemy and never moving away/at me. the shots appeared beneath the ships so only a bit of the graphic was visible but i didn't know if it was some sort of "glow"/effect or, indeed, a case of shots getting stuck. point is, you might want to keep an eye out for this (it seemed to be only the lower enemies in lvl 1). it's probably untrue as everything else seems to work fine, but i think it's worth mentioning.

nice update looking forward to its continued progress.

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Just wanted to let you know i'm uploading the new version, and fixes .

darkvee
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 21:23 Edited at: 9th Feb 2010 22:57
Hi Virtual Nomad! thanks man for taking your time out, and posting again on here.
I'm glad enjoy the update.
I'm glad you like how the levels were made. The first level starts out kind of dull then builds up as you progress.

Also the game is unbeatable I made it that way so its impossible to beat. For example after you hit level 4, and stage 4 then get past it. It goes back to level 1 stage 1, but with more harder gameplay.
I made this type of game, so you always have a challenge.
Who knows it might build IQ logic up I dunno.

Quote: "what i did seem to notice a few times were enemy shots appearing at the enemy and never moving away/at me. the shots appeared beneath the ships so only a bit of the graphic was visible but i didn't know if it was some sort of "glow"/effect or, indeed, a case of shots getting stuck."

I will check that out I didn't notice it, but who knows thanks for letting me know.
Thanks for the comments

darkvee
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 21:24 Edited at: 9th Feb 2010 23:00
Its finally here the new version!

Quote: "I will try to have improvements that has the features you talked about in 1 hour or less. "

Aww! man its past an hour! lol
I can say when I fixed the player respawning it's alittle bit easier, because the ufo's don't fire at you.

darkvee
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
I checked that out about the glow effect or the bullets getting stacked. It's the glow on the bullets.

darkvee
NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2010 08:21 Edited at: 16th Feb 2010 08:22
Great word, would be cool if there was a menu in game so u dont have to press keys

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi NightX what are you talking ?
In games if your in a game you still have to press some key to get to a menu. You can't do it without pressing a key. It would look werid, and not behave like normal games.

Thanks for comments though!

darkvee
Lonnehart
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the game. It's pretty fun. But it's got some things I'm not sure about.

Lack of stage transitions. Instead of directly plastering the next stage on the screen right in the middle of the firefight, gotta try one of these. In a lot of games it can be just cutscenes of a fighter rocketing off to the next stage, but in older games (like Konami's Gyruss) you could stop spawning enemies, wait for the player to pass/destroy the remaining ones, then take control of the player ship and have it rocket off the edge of the screen. Then in the next stage the ship rockets in from the left side of the screen and the player is given control again.

I'll post more when I have time but I still enjoyed the game.

In the beginning there was nothing. There'll be nothing in the end...
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Lonnehart
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I figured people quit posting on here.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Ya I didn't really think of that. It could have been easy to do.
Thanks for the comments!

darkvee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 22:26:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 22:26:44