Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Odd Blox!!

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 15:39 Edited at: 28th May 2012 14:50
Hello YTPSupp!

Here is my first full completed game Odd Blox! (formerly known as Bildin Bloks in the WIP forum)

The Demo was going to be attached but although it is only 39Mb it will not upload for some reason so you can download it below. It includes some minor fixes and a much smaller download (was over 200Mb!!)
http://www.filefront.com/15531641/Setup.zip/

...and more info can be found at my website:
http://www.grot-software.com

This is the Demo which can be upgraded to the full game after purchasing an activation code (via PayPal) and includes most of the features of the full game.

The full game (when purchased) will also include a few updates I have in mind for the future including the ability to strap a rocket to your blocks (not to your b'locks as that is not recommended)

Here are a few recent screenshots:

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 16:09 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 17:05
Downloading !

I am curious though as to how you are handling the issues involved with an unlockable version. - How are you getting round people giving others their codes or finding out what the code does to the game and replicating it?

(Feel free to E-mail me rather than reveal it here xD)

EDIT:
After downloading, I installed it and wanted to play it but it didn't make a start menu folder thing...

Then when I opened it after taking over 9000 years to actually start the applications (due to being like 273mb big) it looked good and asked me to press enter, so I did and it told me it couldn't load the sound at line 1680

Improvements:
* Package the content in another file, not the .exe otherwise it takes forever to start up
* Make it load the sound at line 1680 xD[b]

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.clickteam.com/eng/installcreator.php
You should get that Amazing for creating installers!

---
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 21:02
Looks good. Frankly though I'm happy with mine for what it's worth...

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 16:31
Yours is great, looks like Windows Installer actually.

I have the Clickteam Install Creator Pro and Installshield Premier 2009, Clickteam is much easier to use.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 18:57
cool game

one of the best GDK/DBP game's i've seen ( well, didnt see much anyway =p )

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 23:17
Thanks for the comments guys here is a gameplay video on youtube for those who want to look at it before downloading over 200Mb!! (I'm working on a smaller download BTW!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISnW_S1zW_U

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 11:24 Edited at: 18th Mar 2010 18:50
I just wanted to say a big Thank you! to everyone who has helped and/or followed this project. I couldn't find everyone whose code I've used but I did try!!

In no particular order...

Thank you;
For your code:-
IanM (Matrix utilities mainly)
Evolved (Shaders)
Torrey (Audio plugin that will be massivly reducing my download in the near future)
Spooky (various fixes and solutions)
HowDo (Help with Dark Physics)
EDIT: Cloggy (d3d plugin)!!

For your support and advise in the forums:-
C0wbox
Sindore
Butter fingers
Sixty Squares
Caleb1994
zzz
TheZachadoodle
mike5424
CoffeeCoder
Inspire
Plotinus
demons breath
Outscape
Hassan
Bizar Guy
Mobiius
Plystire
Gunslinger
Sven B
Orion1024
Zotoaster
BatVink
blobby 101
Green Gandalf
KISTech
Duke E
Eduardo Henrique
chafari
RUCCUS

For your music (over 50% of the in game music):-
Kevin Macleod

EDIT: New download in first post (reduced from over 200Mb to under 40Mb!!)

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 13:32
!
Did you fix the bug at line 1680 though?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 13:54 Edited at: 8th Feb 2010 13:55
Quote: "I installed it and wanted to play it but it didn't make a start menu folder thing... "

It doesn't add a start menu folder thing... only a desktop icon. Did it do that?

Quote: "Then when I opened it after taking over 9000 years to actually start the applications (due to being like 273mb big) it looked good and asked me to press enter, so I did and it told me it couldn't load the sound at line 1680"

Sorry about the 9000 years thing (that should be much better now!!). I've noticed that if you open other windows or generally do anything else while the game is loading it occasionally does not load some things properly. I may try to stop the user from navigating away from the game while it's running but that would annoy me... I think it's a bug with DBP.

Quote: "
Improvements:
* Package the content in another file, not the .exe otherwise it takes forever to start up
* Make it load the sound at line 1680 xD
"

I've done this with the music as it was the main problem here, as for line 1680 does it always die on the same line? If it does then it could be a corrupt file? Try the new download...?

Thanks again for your help!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 16:19
Quote: "It doesn't add a start menu folder thing... only a desktop icon. Did it do that?"

Well I don't use desktop icons - I wanted it to make a start menu folder so I could drag the icon into my quicklaunch. - So I had clicked don't make a desktop icon.

Quote: "I've done this with the music as it was the main problem here, as for line 1680 does it always die on the same line? If it does then it could be a corrupt file? Try the new download...?"

I didn't want to try again because it took soooo long to load.

I may try the new download at some point and let you know though.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 16:46
Quote: "I wanted it to make a start menu folder so I could drag the icon into my quicklaunch"

I'll look into adding this as an option in the installer... just for you (and I guess anyone else who wants it)

Quote: "I may try the new download at some point and let you know though"

I would really appreciate it if you did as I've been unable to replicate this problem exactly... Pleeeease?

The new download is under 40Mb now and loads much quicker!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 17:25 Edited at: 8th Feb 2010 18:15
Oh 1 more thing, could you resize the last screenshot in your first post, so it doesn't mess up the forum layout.

The line above the download link in the first post read for me:
Quote: "It includes some minor fixes and a much
200Mb!!)"

I was like, wuh? Until I realised I needed to scroll right a bit to read the rest.

EDIT:
K I downloaded and tried the new version and instead of going to the main menu I got a black screen for about 30 seconds then this:

As well as this I also noticed it installs the game in the directory above the one I chose (which is probably the cause of the sound loading error for me (because I moved it into the right directory last time))

Either way I can't even replicate the error because the program doesn't start now

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 17:43 Edited at: 8th Feb 2010 17:46
Quote: "could you resize the last screenshot in your first post"

LOL yeah sure, I'm on a nice big screen and it looks fine here!

EDIT: Done!

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a neat idea, but it's not much of a game. I really liked the ability to explore the whole room, place blocks anywhere, and destroy the menu. The whole project is very well polished.

A few comments:
-Let mouse click select menu items
-I couldn't see anyway to go back or quit, besides alt-f4
-Don't center the mouse cursor while the game window doesn't have focus
-A lot of times the camera spazzed out
-It's hard to tell the difference between similar looking blocks from the menu pictures

Also, why are you trying to sell this? There isn't a huge market for games like this, and all your hard work will go unnoticed because half the game is locked away.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 09:45
Quote: "It's a neat idea, but it's not much of a game."

Well there are three games in there but I'm guessing you mean in general...

I'm not really expecting everyone to like it and I know it's an odd game (hence the name) but the games that are in there aren't too bad (are they?). Really I'm still learning DBP (although I've had it for a few years I only started playing with it about six months or so ago) and I wanted to finish something as a bit of a learning process.

Quote: "The whole project is very well polished."

Thanks, it took a long time to iron out the bugs (there are probably still a few as this was a large first project).

As for your comments:
Quote: "-Let mouse click select menu items"

Good idea, and a relatively easy fix!

Quote: "-I couldn't see anyway to go back or quit, besides alt-f4"

That's something that needs sorting out, you just need to press 'q' but maybe I didn't put it in the help system, sorry!

Quote: "-Don't center the mouse cursor while the game window doesn't have focus"

I guess that's a pretty good idea. I wasn't checking for focus and just assumed people would quit when they were done.

Quote: "-A lot of times the camera spazzed out"

I haven't had that happen to me... could you give an example of when it happens and I'll look into it?

Quote: "-It's hard to tell the difference between similar looking blocks from the menu pictures"

That's true, I'll try to make it more obvious.

Quote: "Also, why are you trying to sell this?"

...well I kind of figured that selling games is better than not selling them. Personally I like money, it helps buy other stuff like food for my kids and I'm always short of it!

I make games for fun but if I can make money and have fun at the same time then all the better!

Quote: "There isn't a huge market for games like this, and all your hard work will go unnoticed because half the game is locked away."

I agree the market is small and so am I but I'm having fun learning how to sell it as well as just making it. If any of it goes unnoticed I'm not doing it right am I? I'll work on letting people know more of what's in there!

Thanks for the positive and negative feedback (I need both) and I hope I answered your questions!

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well there are three games in there but I'm guessing you mean in general..."

I just thought the game could have used something like a puzzle campaign mode.

Quote: "I guess that's a pretty good idea. I wasn't checking for focus and just assumed people would quit when they were done."

The mouse being centered was only a problem because my firewall had a pop-up that minimized the game, and I couldn't move the mouse to close it.

Quote: "I haven't had that happen to me... could you give an example of when it happens and I'll look into it?"

It's probably just me not used to the controls. It seems the camera always ended up pointing straight down and rapidly spinning in circles.

Quote: "...well I kind of figured that selling games is better than not selling them. Personally I like money, it helps buy other stuff like food for my kids and I'm always short of it!

I make games for fun but if I can make money and have fun at the same time then all the better!"

Makes sense. It's just that you limit your player base with a price tag.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 12:08
Quote: "I just thought the game could have used something like a puzzle campaign mode."

Like a series of puzzles that gradually get harder? Nice idea but it's not really a puzzle game, the whole thing is more based around building stuff and knocking it down. Maybe that's not your thing!

Quote: "It seems the camera always ended up pointing straight down and rapidly spinning in circles."

Actually I think I have had this, I'll try to limit the position of the camera so it doesn't cause this to happen! Thanks again!

Quote: "you limit your player base with a price tag"

True but I don't expect people too young to be able to afford it to be interested anyway. I don't expect to make many sales anyway tbh it's more of an exercise of the whole process for me. If there were enough people interested in the game but thought the price was too high I'd consider dropping it but I'm not getting a lot of feedback since it was released so it's hard to judge.

Maybe once I've plugged the game a bit more I'll have enough of a response to make a judgement...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 12:12
Quote: "I downloaded and tried the new version and instead of going to the main menu I got a black screen for about 30 seconds then this:"

@C0wbox, Can I ask you to try uninstalling the original and then reinstalling the new one (just delete any install folders)? That should fix it!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 14:48
Quote: "Can I ask you to try uninstalling the original and then reinstalling the new one (just delete any install folders)? That should fix it!"

Oh don't worry, I did that anyway. - So that's the response from a fresh install.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 21:21 Edited at: 12th Feb 2010 22:10
Looks like this might be a problem with the installer... I'll work on it and post a patch!

EDIT: It seems you can't launch from the installer for some reason but I'm still working out why. It should still launch from the actual executable or the desktop shortcut, @C0wbox does the executable run OK other than from the initial install (it does for me!)?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 22:52
Fixes done for V1.02 thanks @Jimpo!
Let mouseclick select menu items
Escape key can be used for quit
Mouse released when the focus gone
Similar sized/shaped block images differentiated (with a plus/minus sign)

As soon as I've fixed the installer I'll post the new release!

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2010 02:19
Looks fun! I might download the demo some time.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the creativity in this game especially the physics.

MY GOD YOU CREATED HEAVEN!!!

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 12:01
Thanks dude!

I'm glad I'm not the only person that likes this game!!

I'll be doing an update in the near future so if you want a slightly improved version keep your eyes open. I may even be releasing the full version for free...

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 22:12
Quote: "I may even be releasing the full version for free..."

Please?

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 23:20
It says that I don't have the drivers to play it...

Even though I did download the PhysX drivers.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 09:49
@Mew151, I don't suppose you could upload a screenshot of the error message or copy the exact text? It could be that your graphics card doesn't support the shaders or maybe you don't have the up to date PhysX driver... without the exact error I won't be able to help.

I'd really like to help sort this out!
baxslash

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 16:40
Downloaded the demo and it crashed my computer

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 16:53
@LBFN, that sounds pretty serious but I didn't think that it was possible for a DBP exe to crash a computer (unless you write something really stupid)?

What exactly happened?

Did you get an error?

Did you even run the setup/game or did your PC just crash after you downloaded the demo like you said?

I can only help if you give me more info I'm afraid (in my experience computers crash for some pretty unpredictable reasons and it's more than likely a coincidence that you downloaded my game then your computer crashed)

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 23:26
Quote: "
Thank you;
For your code:-
IanM (Matrix utilities mainly)
Evolved (Shaders)
Torrey (Audio plugin that will be massivly reducing my download in the near future)
Spooky (various fixes and solutions)
HowDo (Help with Dark Physics)
"

Thanks for the thanks! Love to know how I helped as I hardly post anything these days due to work taking over my life.

Boo!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2010 19:05
I've decided to drop the price to a slightly more realistic £2.99!
http://www.grot-software.com/purchase.html

As a thank you for those of you who've helped produce the game (named in an earlier post) I'll provide a free FULL version on request (E-mail me)!!

Also another update is imminent but I'll produce a patch as it's fairly minor updates at the moment!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 11:53 Edited at: 1st Apr 2010 11:53
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 13:22 Edited at: 1st Apr 2010 13:22
Grats !

's more than I managed (Guess I've got to finish Soup for that...)

xD

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 18:30
Just downloading Soup, looks fun!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 16:27
!

It should be more fun when it's done though. <Gets on with Soup now I've arrived and set up my PC 480 miles from home... xD>

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 22:05 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 22:06
EDIT : wrong thread, sorry.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " EDIT : wrong thread, sorry. "

Epic Failure XD

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 03:57
Oh, the error message?
There is none. It opens the default browser to the Driver website.
And then the application crashes.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 21:05
Quote: "It opens the default browser to the Driver website."

Yes, that's what Dark Physis does when it an't find the PhysX driver or ompatible hardware on your system. Just download the driver, install it and the game should work as long as your hardware is apable of running the game.

Please let me know if you have any more problems.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried the game... For some reason I keep on restarting and saving and the effects won't change? Man, I wish I saw that cel shade...Plus I wonder where is the challenge? Like levels and stuff...? I'm just confused, my opinions may be confusing and boring ,but please listen...

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 11:26 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 11:26
@TheZachadoodle, sorry for a short reply but some letters aren't working on my keyboard...

Quote: "For some reason I keep on restarting and saving and the effects won't change?"

can you see if the "config.bbf" file changes when you make changes in the game (see if it's read only too?) as this file should change when you edit display settings in game...

Quote: "Plus I wonder where is the challenge? Like levels and stuff...?"

The games are all started by pressing Enter on Barbie mode (easy), Action-man mode (normal) or Brain-buster mode (hard).

Quote: "my opinions may be confusing and boring ,but please listen..."

If you check about the eighth post on the first page you'll find your name under the thanks "For your support and advise in the forums:-". I always value anyone's opinion (even if I don't always like it!

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 20:58 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 21:00
Quote: "I always value anyone's opinion"

Quote: "The games are all started by pressing Enter on Barbie mode (easy), Action-man mode (normal) or Brain-buster mode (hard)."

Its a bit confusing... But what I meant as in its like a free game but where is like all of the challenges such as, Ex: you must build something this high in a short amount of time or else you lose! You know that stuff. Not in terms of difficulty but game play as in challenging me until I get something right...Like I get the stack then shoot thing...But can there please be some way of rewarding and losing in this game?

----|I_/-.. Mhmyess....
----|o_\-*
http://www.formspring.me/TheZachadoodle
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 21:10
Quote: "But can there please be some way of rewarding and losing in this game?"

You know that you aren't supposed to win or lose sandbox games yeh? - Go play Gmod or something and you'll understand.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You know that you aren't supposed to win or lose sandbox games yeh? - Go play Gmod or something and you'll understand."

Then what is the point of easy,normal,and hard mode...

----|I_/-.. Mhmyess....
----|o_\-*
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 21:24
I can't answer that, I didn't make it, but surely if you're just building with blocks you hardly need to "win" or "lose".

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 05:52 Edited at: 11th Apr 2010 08:19
Quote: "I can't answer that, I didn't make it, but surely if you're just building with blocks you hardly need to "win" or "lose"."

Yeah that is fun but it just makes me curious ya know...PLUS YOU FAIL AT MAKING AN OPINION!!! HAR HAR HA DAR DAR DARRRRRRRR!!!!

(I'm just kidding)

LOLZ!!!

Edit: By the way...For some reason when I was playing the game I found out it was a bit difficult to exit out there was no exit button so I had to alt+esc my way out. The pause menu should probably be esc to get to it, because its easier to know instead of backspace.

Also, I think it might be a little easier and better if there was point and click menu.

I checked the config.bbf file and it did not change...In my opinion the light effects and everything should be in there when I start the game,its the ones who have low standard computers that should edit the stuff when they download the game and visit it first.

I love everything about your game its just that simple stuff has to be a bit edited ya know...

----|I_/-.. Mhmyess....
----|o_\-*
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 17:14
OK, let me clear up some confusion here...

There is a sandbox element to this game but there are also some games which you can play...

The first game is a build them up then knock them down game which is available from the start. You can play it by selecting easy/normal/hard and pressing enter.

You play this game until you unlock 'fantasy mode' which gives you a new block style available. If you select this style then the next game is available (you have a time limit to build a tower as high as possible (height not number of blocks this time). If you score high enough you unlock another blok style and so on...

I realise now that this is not at all obvious and I'll try to edit the menu to make it more obvious

It does say "Press Enter to Play" on the easy/normal/hard screen though...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 17:31
Quote: "But can there please be some way of rewarding and losing in this game?"

That would be the unlockable games and styles...

Quote: "I checked the config.bbf file and it did not change"

That's very 'odd' as it seems to work for me...

As for the default settings why not just manually change the config file anyway, it's all pretty obvious one you open it with a text editor...

I think most new games check the users pc capabilities and set up accordingly but this is only my first finished game guys so don't expect too much ok?

...must get a keyboard where 'x' and 'c' work as this took AGES to write...

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 17:32
@ baxslash
I don't think that's what TheZachadoodle wants, I think he needs something so he feels good about playing a game. (Like a nice big ending screen and some pretty effects... xD)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:09:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:09:27