Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / So apparently the only controllable objects that respond to collision in a world are Character Controllers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 11:41 Edited at: 8th Feb 2010 11:47

Working on a 3rd person game and since I'm using a character controller for my player, he's colliding with my world just fine...

but now I'm simply trying to get the camera to follow him without it going through walls - so I attached a Kinematic rigid body it, thinking that would work but Kinematic Rigid Bodies go right through walls and collide with nothing. Dynamic rigid bodies do the exact same thing.

Last time I checked, rigid bodies of no kind are to go through walls, but the only rigid bodies that do not go through walls are character controllers.

I spent $50 on this???
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 13:17
have you tried putting a Kinematic sphere in the same place as the camera.
plus you would move it like so, move the phy sphere then update camera position to sphere.

dont forget that character controller is first person system only, so if you've move to any other view you are going to have to do all the working out.

all thou I think you will have to use the standard camera collision system.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
peterJBE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 12:52
@Christopher Reeves

Quote: "but the only rigid bodies that do not go through walls are character controllers.
"

Have you tried continuous collission detection(ccd)?
Christopher Reeves
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 12:56
Yeah I tried that too. It doesn't matter, I just won't use it for camera collision. I'll find a use for it, but it won't be for the camera.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2010 16:32 Edited at: 9th Feb 2010 16:37
Could you use another(small capsule?) character controller for your camera?

The only problem I forsee is the camera getting stuck in buildings when you walk out the door, so maybe a distance check every few loops then re-position camera controller if it is too far away.

EDIT: Is there no way to change your kinematic actors collision, so it does not go through stuff. I'm almost certain you can do this with physX as the character controller is just a refined version of a kinematic actor, I'm not sure about Dark Physics though.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 09:34
what i did is i used sparkys with dark phisics, so i used dark phisics for my guy then i used sparkys for my camera.

Christopher Reeves
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 07:11
Yeah that's what I ended up having to do as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:09:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:09:45