Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dark Basic Console - WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 07:30
Well as discussed in the DBClassic forum in the Playstation, Xbox, games thread, I started playing around with making a DBConsole.

So here is what I have done.

I have taken an old server with a

P3-700
512mb ram
SCZI everything
2 - 40gb Hard Drives
Windows 2000 ( I will do a 98/xp when I order MSDN again)
40x CD ROM
8 4 24 CD-RW
Matrox G400 Dual Head with TV Out (this will change to a 128mb Gforce4 card eventually)
NIC Card
Sound Blaster 64 (I think, its an older card)

I am atm modifying the Win 2k front end. When done it will load the following screen if no CD is in.

Its a mock up, because the actual screen is just windows buttons, I want to animate the swirls.

If a CD with auto run is placed in the drive it will auto run the game. Now, if the CD is taken out while the game is being played, the console will reset to the screen above.

Im setting up a few dev rules, basically all games have to save to drive D and like this

d:\(companyname)\(gamename)\savefile

The save files will have a 128x128 graphic file with the logo of the game. (like Xbox, PS2)

Im hoping to beable to release a couple of cut and paste DBPro commands so the saves, rule base are basically all done via cut and paste, no extra coding really needed.

The games will not install onto the Hard Drive, but run from the CD. The reason for the CD-RW is you can DL the image file or compressed file, and use the interface to burn the CD rom.

There is an OS Updater, and Hardware updater built in to the front end. And they are exactly like they sound, they DL windows updates, hardware updates and install.

Im also doing a community, where you can chat through the console, or PC, I want to set up an entire chat system, private rooms, forums, etc. Easy to do, but im not looking at replacing these or LLRGT boards.

Now I know this console can run any pc game, or even *GASP* Blitz Basic 3D Games, but this isnt a project to make money, its a fun in the sun, hobby thing. I may also release the same easy to use codes for DBClassic, and Blitz Basic 3D. Because im going to release the how to do this, and source code.

Eventually I want to have a complete instruction list with how to take a PC and do it. Install your OS and install the front end and completly have your own Dark Basic Console. (name will probally change)

I have forums setup now, and a basic web site (im doing a flash one so just did a basic front page one)

Please go and talk about what I have there for this and my other topics. I wont really be talking to much about it, just have updates with go to my web page.

The DBConsole threads are the very bottom of the forums.

http://matedit.com/forums/index.php (other great DB forums)
Current Project - Legends of the Sword - On my WWW
Check out profile for more information
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 07:40
Also

The connect to DB Server is for multiplayer games, I have an idea for a connection service like gamespy.

Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 09:19
It sounds very interesting, I look forward to watching your progress.

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 16:31
wow. I have an extra pc and some OS's so if you need any help (in other words, I really want to help) just squawk

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 12:36
hehe I responded to your posts on my forums Mattman.

Ill take any help, especially if people want to help out with any of the community side of things. But until I really get the front end done and working,and have something to show, I wont really look for help, beyond comments, and all in my forums.

Iam spending 25% of my development time on this, my current project (Legends of the Sword) is getting 50%, and the other 25% is between working on a network code, and beta testing a couple of games.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 18:09
please make it pro not classic so it will have a longer life...

-john D.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 20:14
it can run any and all exe's i think

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 00:03
im building everything in VC++, it can run

- Dark Basic Pro
- Dark Basic Classic
- Blitz Basic +
- Blitz Basic 3D
- Any PC game

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 00:04
Also you will see me use DBC alot, and I try not to, but its not Dark Basic Classic, I mean it in Dark Basic Console.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 01:36
If you want send me the OS. My dad and i want to put linux on a spare computer of ours and use it as a server but maybe i can do this first

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 01:44
Once I get it done np.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 03:53
Interesting project. Looking forward to when you release a white paper for developers. Standardizing on resources and installation would be a handy thing. Will the console support management of save files and such should the user want to clean house?

Hard coding to the D: drive can be a problem for many users with multiple hard disks (like most developers and power users.) If the console can manage files via an alias (ie \\DBC_Drive\\), a registry entry, or similar function call, that would be a good thing. Perhaps an INI file on the root of C: would be more universal?
--
TAZ
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 05:47
Once I get everything worked out, im taking a page from TDK_mans book and making a skeleton program in Pro and Classic, something they can drop into their programs, or drop their program into for easy integration into the console.

Ya there is a save system that when followed they can easily clean house, play around etc.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 18:14
The skeleteon program sound like a good deal. One suggest is to be all the variables with DBC or something like that so there is a minimum of conflict. That way people can bring in existing code as well.
--
TAZ
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2003 01:09
wow this is sounding very cool

-john D.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2003 01:16
Thanks John Darkeye, Im putting in all my experience in working with companies designing software into this.

Plus Im stealing ideas for the front end off of the Xbox, MS rules in their front end for the console.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 18:19
However I seriously doubt that you will actually manage to deliver the stability of consoles since you are using computer hardware components(right?). You say it will play any game which means it will be prone to errors,unless you're playing a game which was written specifically for that hardware, limiting the chances of errors to almost zero. I would guess you're trying to use the components that are genrally most error-free with games,however errors will be unavoidable, and no offense but the only error you see on xbox and ps2 is when the CD is not in

-john D.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 22:30
Everything you said was covered above Dark or on my forums.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 23:28 Edited at: 16th Sep 2003 23:44
hmm well i read the first post but didnt get some..oh well I'll see the forums i guess...well i dont understand in the first post you say something about easy codes you will release...? is that part of the answer?

-john D.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 04:39
If anyone has any questions please check out my site forums. Ill be answering more questions there then here.

John Darkeye im adding your questions to the boards now.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 05:08
I posted at your forums in discussion section, for db console.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 05:30
hehe I replied

good thoughts to btw yellow.

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 09:46
**** UPDATE ****

Im getting my new copy of MSDN Universal in about a month, after some financing comes in, etc. So I have stopped coding right now.

I have something else im working on for this. Hopefully by November 15th I will have something to show.

Im doing most of it in .NET and SQL Server 2000.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 16:28
And there is another project we are working on, somwhat with the console. I will not give details, but Fale might IF you are interested e-mail Fale or I

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 23:33
Lemme guess, you're building a console 2.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 00:25
no For those of you that visit the LEvel 10 forums, it is titled NGB, remember it? And please do not post info if you know any as I do not know what Fale wants to tell people...

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 00:49
Then why'd you post...

NM

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 07:25
Mattman its your project. I just offered to help you.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 20:07
ok. What we are doing is in C++, is creating a new BASIC language, Next Generation BASIC (NGB) IF you are interested, e-mail me for info

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 03:57
Interesting, but do you think you'll be able to do it? You've already got jingot racing, darkmesh, and school going, let alone, if you're doing the programming in C++. Sounds great, but I'm just saying I hope you've read as many book as I've read on programming and game engine design.

gamedev.com
gamestrata.com(something like that)

Best of Luck.

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 07:48
Ill be helping him out. But Mattman is pretty bright. There are a few others helping out.

Even if this is just a theory project, its fun to do.

He does have a full plate tho doesnt he. Lol. Not a big deal with time management.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 16:25
Quote: "For those of you that visit the LEvel 10 forums"

where are the level 10 forums?
sounds very interesting

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 16:29
It's at falelorn's site, www.nearc.com

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 16:30
ah right cool, thanx for the quick reply but shouldn't you be programming the next basic language j/k

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 16:33
lol. I just got up.

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 18:04
Lol @ ReD eYe

koolaid 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 13:00
hmm someone said a db console wouldnt be possible that there was a strong chance it wouldnt happen how is this coming along?

KOOLAID
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 00:00
its coming, slow, but surely.

Basically Im waiting for my MSDN to come in, which was supposed to be here last week, and now they are saying next week. Thats the major hold up.

The hardware side of things- I have dropped. Its just to expensive for anyone to really do, unless you have the spare computers sitting around.

The software - Is coming along nicely. The software will be a shell that controls everything. and runs the game in a window or full screen. Think windows in side MS Windows. With the community side of things planned, not implemented yet.

Im looking at chat rooms, forums, code base, game showcase, built into this shell.

Also the dev rules are less harsh then they originally were, basically no hardware now, so anything goes.

Things have slowed down on this, because the resume project (to boost my resume) is now an actual project and because of funding, I have switched to Torque (which may become GameBryo), ICE, SpeedTreeRT and have a team now. Of professionals, and a working budget. I have to put X amount of hours a day into this, before anything else.

But if anyone wants, our web designer is working on www.thronesonline.com and www.level10games.com while just coming soon pages are up now, actual game info will be there soon.

And the console if not finished by January may never be done, I may have to move to Tulsa Oklahoma where our funding is coming from.

Lol,sorry, more info then you wanted but its actualkly a little slow right now.

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 04:46
Finally have my MSDN Universal Package, and after a my registration code didnt work, a quick phone call with MS got the ball rolling. Man they dont send everything they used to. Still can download everything tho.

Regarding the Console. Work is proceeding, I hope to have something for viewing soon, updated web site, and forums. Im really busy with my main project, in meetings, and when not in meetings, working my butt off coding.

While im not using DB or DBPro at this time (we had to switch to A6 Pro to make our demo, which got us funding). Nothing against DB tho, just not what we needed. Ill have the DB side up first before the BB3D side, (Community side) or anything else.

Ill post new info soon.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2003 02:35 Edited at: 29th Oct 2003 02:37
Tulsa Oklahoma, eh? I live in Oklahoma City and I keep on hearing interesting tidbits about game development in the Tulsa area. My current and most favorite book at the moment, is The Indie Game Development Survival Guide. It is just stuffed full of good advice about running your own idie projects. The author, David Michael, is from Tulsa.
--
TAZ
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 00:53
Cool, ill have to check out that book. I still love the idea of indi development, while its nice to have a real budget, I dont see the 30 million dollar games out there, to be better then the games that were made by a small team, or even a individual.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 19:56
keep up the work man

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 17:24
Sounds cool.

I do have one idea though. Is there seriously no way to make sure they dont play PC games? I was THINKING if everytime they started the console it checked for an update on the console, it could check for a certain code in the games you stick in, and if it's a PC/Game you don't want in there then it just won't run. I dunno how hard/possible this would be, it's just a thought.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 17:36 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2003 17:38
if it can run any program, there isn't much sense calling it a DB console, is there?

i don't know what else to call it but since it's more or less a gaming PC (almost like an XBOX when you think about it) i don't think it should be called the "DB Console".

and inkybro -- they have that in the xbox. and they've hacked the xbox already. so there really is no point in putting it in in the first place.

stop looking at me!
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2003 23:10
Ya ive changed the name, its now Unnamed Console lol

No name has really been decided yet, but ive been thinking of something different.

I havnt been able to work on it much. But its something I will work on until im done. I just got my MSDN package, im slowly catching up on alot of things.

Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 02:53
@DrakeX: Yeah, I saw those "mods", I wanna get one but I'm afraid I'll mess ym XBOX up

Genesis Rage
Years of Service
User Offline
thats why they have the 'solderless' chip... you just screw it in... i would have done it myself already... but i dont have a DVD burner... (you have to have one for it to work)

==Main Computer==
Athlon XP 3000+, 1024mb, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb 8xAGP, XP Pro
Battosaibry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2003 15:06
I have spare computers around, 3 upstairs, and 3 downstairs, + 1 laptop. Only 3 of the comps are fast, one my dad uses for testing stuff. He works on computers and hes a computer programmer thats how i started programming. One day he just gave me this book on Visual Basic and I read it, Anyone else know VB?

Make games, play games hey its a living!
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 16:56
real cool project you're working on , good luck with it and hope you can show us some more soon

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb ddr sdram
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2003 04:53
Long awaited update

Sorry to say things havnt been going well for me, and I have to put this project on hold for a few months until I get back on my feet and running again.

Im in the middle of a messy divorce which hit me out of the blue, and Ive had to move and throw alot in storage except one computer and so Im not developing until I can get my personal life in order.

I will be back here, sooner then later I hope, and if I have time ill unpack my dev computer and throw up some SS of whats done.

TTYAL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 04:47:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 04:47:53