Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / [DGDK] dbInk drops the frame rate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If colours are changed with dbInk in the main loop, the frame rate drastically drops. It seems that if this command is used several times with teh same colour (nothing changes), then it has no effect, but using different colours, it limits the FPS.

A simple project is attached. On my machine, the frame rate drops from around 2900 to around 340 in release mode. With another project that displayed 3D objects together with text (a simple clock application), I had even worse results: 1200 to 55.

Is that a DirectX limitation or a GDK bug?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 00:39
Neither, it's a GDK/DBPro implementation issue, and it's what Cloggy's plug-in/library was originally written to overcome.

What's happening is that whenever you change something that can affect the output of text (font, font size, bold, italic, colour), the GDK rebuilds its DirectX font. This, as you are finding, can be relatively slow.

Cloggy went the other way - rather than allowing the font details to change on the fly like the GDK does, you create a font and it never changes until you specifically delete it and recreate it, and if you did that, you'd find it's just as slow.

So, not a bug really, but a 'could try harder'
I'll make a note of it for future enhancements.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:16:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:16:08