Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2010 15:51 Edited at: 20th Mar 2010 15:51
Hi,

I've decided to have another look at a game I started ages ago. It's a 6x6 skid steer vehicle. Now it works fine, as it's fully controllable, but the collision detection on the wheels are set to capsule. This means it drives fine over terrain, but if you go near a verticle surface like a wall and hit it side on you hit an invisible bubble to the side of the tyre. I've tried the other collision types which tend to work, but not smoothly:

Sphere-Works but it makes the vehicle like a hovercraft to control.
Convex-The wheels are juddery and feels horrible

I also tried making new wheel models including higher polygon with slicks, and with a bubble on the sides to try and fill the invisible bubble, but neither worked. Does anyone have any ideas on how to have a better setup for the wheels?

I've included a screenshot of it with one of the experimental wheels.

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

Login to view attachments
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2010 18:00 Edited at: 9th May 2010 14:34
I've rethought my game a bit and while modifying the vehicle I enclosed the wheels to get around the collision problem. Encasing the wheels means that if I hit something the body hits before the sides of the wheels.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:48:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:48:28