Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why DarkBasic?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I bet someone else has asked this question, but I cant find a post like it. Why would someone want to choose Darkbasic or darkbasic pro? Also I am planning on making a MMORPG, maybe not MMO but an online rpg. What programing tool would I want to use, and could you also give me examples from other programs like Basic Blitz? I am looking for a easy to learn program, that still gives great graphics and easy to use. Like that progressive commerical, can you give me the name of 3 competing programs and what makes them good? I dont want to buy the wrong thing and waste money. Thanks in advance!

-Martin
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
Many people use DarkBASIC (reg,Enhanced and pro) because Its easy to leanr, use and its extremely powerful! many pople have created and copyrights hardcore proffesional games using DarkBasic...Everyone knows C++ is better but it is very difficult to learn but if you learn it and you like DB better you can use DLLs made with C++ in DB Tribes 2 was made with the Torque Game Proggramming...it costs only 100$ (I don't have it so I can't say its good) but if you want to know more about it go to www.garagegames.com . I recommend DB(E,P) for everyone
Young_Noob
Years of Service
User Offline
I chose DarkBASIC for the same reason alot of poeple did, because it is a very powerful 3D engine with a code that is quite easy to learn, although i a still a newbie, i find myself getting addapted to this 3D engine quite quickly.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 04:12
and could you also give me examples from other programs like Basic Blitz?

I warn you now- NEVER EVER MENTION THAT AGAIN HERE! Just a warning

Dark Basic is both powerful, and easy to learn! Man! Look at that gallery!

If your new to programming, dont make a MMORPG right yet. Start simple. A popular choice is pong, or a text game! Start small- get big!

I have been using dark basic since july, and you can see my website at http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com to see how far I have got in just 5 months! And of course, the help from a very great person on my dev team (you know who you are )

Dark Basic is both easy to use, and powerful. Paired with a good 3d modeller (milkshape, 20 bucks US [url]www.milkshape3d.com[/url]) you can make really, really nice programs! Plus, you have all of us nice people at these forums to help you out if you get stuck Right guys (and girls)?

If you have any questions, contact me on one of the instant messengers below.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Philip 1337
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 18:36
I a have heard of a program called RPG Maker 2002
Is this what you are looking for?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 23:26
hehehheh thats not really a programming language

RPGamer

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 03:58
Um, RPG Maker 2002 is also 2D only, and of course, not online or multiplayer in anyway.

KTMartin: You are obviously VERY new here, so
First: Welcome to DB!
Second: No, we cannot compare 3 and tell you which one to buy. Why? Many of us are biased towards DB, and maybe have not used anything else, also, some people might not like you talking about BB, and the owners of these forums don't like advertising/promoting certain other game making alternatives...
But if you still want a comparison, theres something you should learn about and try: DEMOS!!! They are available for DB, DBP, BB, BB3D, T3DGM, etc.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 04:15
Ya I never bothered to even try RPG Maker, just didnt sound worth it.

PS- This post was in November- I havent seen him around

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 04:20
rofl
thats like the tenth noob we've scared away since... I forget

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 13:41
10th!!!! No more than that!!!

RPGamer

roswell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 20:49
Hee hee. He sounds like a Progressive Auto Insurance customer.

"Can you give me your quote, and the quotes of some of your competitors? Ya know...don't want to work too hard."

Zooker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 00:37
Why is everyone so scared to try a different language or even mention one. That's silly. Different strokes for different folks or different uses. One could use cobol and proably do a much better job in a business application. Games are for us Children young & Old, but why limit yourself to programing one thing or one language?

It took Years to Make Me this Stupid!
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Ugh, you guys gonna get this post froze quick if you keep mentioning the "competition" lol.

RPGgamer is right, Ya can't just jump into making a MMORPG, there is so much to learn before you should start with that.

Start small...my first real program was a cube that rotated on x and y axis and when you presses some buttons it changed the texture of the cube and the backdrop color lol.

I am the very disease you pretend to be.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 14:02
Why is everyone so scared to try a different language or even mention one

No one is scared to try a new language (Im learning C++). Just, a lot of us here dont want commerciallising for other products, and some of us just dont like hearing Blitz Basic

MattIsFun
Years of Service
User Offline
You could use C++ and then supplement with DirectX or OpenGL (which I have tried both of). Then you can drown in thousands of line of code for DirectX, or you can drown in compatability errors and hundreds of lines of code with OpenGL. Why not choose DarkBASIC, which gives you the power and flexability of DirectX, without the.. bad stuff.. trust me, I've tried to learn DirectX at least 3 times over the course of the last couple of years. I've always failed. That doesn't mean you would, it just means that that's why I chose DarkBASIC.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 22:46:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 22:46:19