Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Strange collision bug?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 14:37 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 14:46
Hi,

I'm working on my game using PhysX. I'm finding that if I run it when I have quite a lot of other stuff running, it works fine, but if I run it along with certain other software the collision tends to be unreliable. PhysX Debugger and Lightwave 3D often cause my vehicle to fall into infinity either as soon as the game starts or after a few seconds. Without this software running it NEVER does that. Its slightly frustrating as I would like to see the collision detection now and having to close LW all the time is just annoying!

Is this normal?

Thanks
Nick
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 22:30
have you tried phy update 0 after the do then phy update 1 before the sync.
meaning hold all the phy update until everthing as be check and moved then run the phy engine.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 00:49
Hmmm I've just tried that with no success. This isn't a massive problem, it`s just making development slightly less efficient closing Lightwave all the time I think I might make a demo of this shortly as I've made some progress today.

Thanks HowDo
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 13:51
PhysX runs on another thread, so your simulation may not be finished when you are updating if you have lots going on.
I think this is what happens, PhysX will not slow your program down, instead, your physics simulation will just get less reliable.
Try decreasing the frame rate to give PhysX more time to simulate, or just have your computer doing less stuff

NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 22:02
Ahhh ok. I was just interested as I'm getting somewhere with this game and I don't want any bad stuff to pop up later down the line. It seems to be coping with just Lightwave Modeler open at the moment which is enough most of the time anyway Thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:44:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:44:03