Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Our Solar System (Visual Demo Like Thing)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 09:00
Well after several days of pulling out my hair I think ive got something worth posting about . This is my first Project to reach this far in development and thanks to my many hours of work and stress I have learned ALLOT about DarkBasic pro. Though now comes to testing faze . Since this is my first Program to reach this far I know theres gonna be allot of problems visualy & in the code. Basicly what I would like is for anyone to tell me what they think of it so far and if they had any problems.

What this project is, is just basicly our solar system and the planets in it. I have looked up sizes and distances and have made the rough conversions of the planets and there distances. The sizes of everything im almost positive Ive got egzact though the distance I wasnt sure about conversion since it was measured in a diffrent system. Basicly I did this every Earth Radii i and the size x*10, for every A.U. I measured it in x*100. I have lots of ideas for this but I think this is enough of something to start with and of which i can start getting any bugs and problems outa the way as I move on to parts of my project.

Future Patches:
-Make Walls collision (right now have them not collisioned so i can test better)
-Make Planets Spin
-Make Planets Rotate Around The Sun
-Make the Sun give off Light
-Lots & Lots of other Stuff

Thanks in advance .
Download Version 0.2 @ http://www.bloodnest.net/URhere.zip

"Heaven won't Have me & h3ll is to afraid I'll take over"
http://www.bloodnest.net
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 09:55
Hehehe one quick note:

UPKEY = Pitch UP

DOWNKEY = Pitch DOWN

LEFTKEY = Turn Left

RIGHTKEY = Turn Right

SPACEBAR = Move Forward

Sorry no move backwards key yet =)

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 22:26
You could do to set the sync rate a bit slower - for us with fast PC's it's a nightmare to control

Otherwise good

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2003 03:51
Nice one DarkSin but I feel your scale is way off or the camera FOV is distorting things to look closer to each other/bigger than they ought to be.

Also you might wanna check out Redshift (if not already) for some inspiration on where to go with this.

"My ignorance amuses me..."
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 08:58
Darksin, I'm interested to see your work as I've written my own little random solar system generator. Its not to scale but I'll post it here later after work.

It has a sun which gives off light, planets which rotate around the sun and which themselves spin. It also has moons and rings around gas giants.

I'm going to try and put a few comets in, just for the hell of it!

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie?
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 09:01
Well after many hours of pain in my brain, and confusion im finaly nearing the completion of version 0.2 . I almost have finished setting up the planets to rotate around the sun, have them spinning themselves, the sun giving off light and the planets being affected by it, and a few other small tweaks. I should have it all to where i like it in a few days. Though i havnt worked with the fov yet and probably wont in version 0.2 since everything has been so very hard for me to learn already lol . I was able to figure out everything basicly by myself after lots of work but i had to look up and figure out the numbers on the planet rotation around the sun.
Once i get version 0.2 finished ill post it here for you guyz to download and try if you want.

Thanks for the comments!

@Sonic What is RedShift? and how do i see it? Tried searching on google but i cameup with ALLOT of stuff

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 09:05 Edited at: 25th Sep 2003 09:07
ok wow... i just posted my comment and saw your comment Philip that was posted just 3 min before myn... hehe

Id like to see your system it might help me figure out better to do with myn... i was planning on adding some stuff but only after i got the required stuff for a system down hehe (thinking of adding cool easter eggs too) Anyways hope to see it tommorrow (going to bed soon)

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 20:46
Something else that is worth checking out, and I find inspirational, is Celestia. This is a free-ware Universe display programme - it can be found via a web search. Its bloody impressive.

As for my own meagre effort, see attached. Use the arrow keys, return and ctrl to move about. Moons orbit planets and Planet 4 (or 5 - I forget) has rings as well.

Its not to scale and its still very much a WIP. I'm developing it for use in a game.

Philip

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 21:21
I had a look at your code Darksin. Its great to meet someone else working on the same thing. I think you've got the relative sizes of the planets roughly right. The distances between planets don't look right though. This is probably because you are approximately the size of AUs. I seem to recall an AU is the distance between the Earth and the Sun but I could be wrong.

I'll be very interested to discuss all this further with you as our two projects progress. I'm an open source fan so I am happy to swap code.

Philip

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 03:09
Thanks for your comments philip hehe i just got home and got a chance to try out your code... very cool . Do you have msn or anything? I dont have aim but i do have an account in it,if you have it.

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 07:03
I also made one and started making it into a space racing game. My DB Pro demo died, but I am recieving DB Pro on Monday. I will fix up a couple things and then post my code (with the media). Hope you all like it and learn something from it.

It includes:
-Random number of Planets (somewhere between 5 and 15)
-The larget the planet, the more detailed it is
-Terrestrial (non gas giant) planets have cloud cover
-Sun emits light that affects planets
-Planets have moons (0-10) depending on their size
-Gas giants randomly have rings
-Star sky sphere
-Blazingly fast (about 100 fps on my 300 mhz Pentium II w/ 32MB Geforce2)
-You can fly your space ship through rings that form a loop
(I had a nebula in it, but it is difficult to make a large nebula that doesn't make extreme slowdown)

I will post it sometime next week. I hope you guys like it.

Xander - Bolt Software

It doesn't matter if it is confusing, as long as it works
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 15:56
@Darksin, I do have MSN but I don't really use it. The best way to contact me is to email me at philip.young@netvigator.com

@Bolt, I'd be very interested to see it!

Philip

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 18:10
Actually Bolt's comment on speed is on point. In my programme speed is a serious problem. The giant star sphere costs me at least 30 FPS. I'm going to have to do something about that at some point.

Philip

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 20:36
Well that remark has got me working on the speed problem. I've recovered about 10 fps with object cull on by hiding all the distant objects.

But then if I texture the planets I drop down from a respective 41 fps to a measly 29 - useless.

I think maybe I will just have to drop the star sphere and instead move "dot" stars around with some simple maths.

Please do post your code Bolt, I think I'd find it extremely helpful.

Philip

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 04:39
I will be getting Dark Basic Pro on Monday, I can't post till then. Sorry.

Anyway, what are you doing for your background? Mine is a textured sphere, really huge, and is just placed at the camera's position all the time. Culling on it is turned off, so you see the inside. Your background could be causing extreme slowdown.

What are your specs?

My older computer:
300 mhz Pentium II
32MB Geforce2
192 MB RAM

My better computer:
1 ghz Pentium III
64 MB Geforce4
256 MB RAM

Xander - Bolt Software

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 08:05
Yes, its definitely the star sphere that causes the loss of FPS. It reduces FPS by about 30. I'm also using a very large sphere. See the attached for the relevant part of the code. Culling is also off.

My specs:

P4 1.3ghz
Nvidia Riva TNT 2 Model 64
384 meg ram

Cheers

Philip

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 11:01
I was wondering : Will you make them move in circles or, will it be ellipses ?
(For texture I took those of 3dcafe : just a suggestion)
For teacher's sake, it would be interestening to be able to stay on the earth and see the moon come in front of the sun (but the distances have to be more realistic)

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2003 14:38
I've tried reducing the size of everything in my programme by 100. That has not had any noticeable effect on FPS performance. I think I shall dump the starsphere.

@Damokles - at the moment in my prog they move in circles. Mind you, its easy to get them to move in ellipses. Its just a matter of applying an ellipse algorithm to the X and Y positions.

Actually standing on a planet would be bloody difficult to do. Most "games" actually cheat when making the transition from space to a planetary body. An altavista search will show a number of webpages containing discussions on this topic.

Philip

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2003 02:32
Sorry not getting back sooner. Ive been gone for a few days on a trip. I just now got back and am starting to work on my program again . I c theres been allot more disscussion since I left . I am also interested in seeing your program bolt . Well im off... i got ALLOT of work ahead of me on this program and id like to get allot of it done. L8ter all

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 10:30
Hey Bolt, i'm very intrested to see your project!!!!
can you mail me when you've upload your work???

Free Download for a Free World
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 21:25
I got Dark Basic Pro last night, so I started fixing up my program. Dark Basic 4.1 is a little different from the demo that I was using, so I have to modify it a little. I am getting everything worked out right now, so expect to see it in a few days, maybe a week. I may want to add some cooler effects, more options and more realistic planetary movement. Right now they move in circles, I want it to be in ellipses. Here is a big issue I am trying to figure out:

It has to do with scale. I can't remember what happens when you make the scale of things really big, but I know that if you make it too small then things move very choppy, because the units that things can move aren't indefinitely small. Right now my scale is pretty extreme. I think planets are about 1000 units. The ship is about 1 unit. The ship is scaled down quite a bit. The scale isn't nearly as extreme as I would like it to be, but it is as close as I can get it without having wierd things happen. The only wierd thing that is happening in my game is that lights don't effects the ship very well. Actually that may have to do with the model of the ship. Never mind.

I just got a good idea. I will post a screenshot of my program tonight. Or a couple screenshots. One big thing I have to do is make it so the player can't get too close to the planets or sun. I had a really good idea the other day. I think it would be a good effect to scale the ship down furthur as it gets closer to planets, to make them really big.

Any suggestions?

Xander - Bolt Software

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 21:35
Philip, I don't think cheating would be good. I tried it once. It was an experience to make light with a lemon and a light bulb ... but the light was so low, that some pupils couldn't see it. So I got a battery in the lemon, and it worked too well. The children didn't notice it, but scientifically it's wrong.

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 04:15
Quote: "Philip, I don't think cheating would be good. I tried it once. It was an experience to make light with a lemon and a light bulb ... but the light was so low, that some pupils couldn't see it. So I got a battery in the lemon, and it worked too well. The children didn't notice it, but scientifically it's wrong."

LOL!!!

heheh

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults. I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 05:52
You mean when he was talking about "cheating" as making the transition from space to planet? He didn't mean that kind of cheating

Your story was funny though

I hope you are being sarcistic when you tell Philip not to cheat...

Xander - Bolt Software

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 09:00
Just finished version 0.2 Though im not gonna release it untill ive finsished version 0.3A since I need to fix allot of the code & have a friend making some models of the planets & the sun for me. I also plan on fixing allot of the proper distance problems ive had and in version 0.2 allot of my planet size got messed around so im gonna have to fix that also... i also plan on getting the proper planet speed created. That should be about it for version 0.3A... version 0.3B will just mainly be adding cameras that follow planets & adding some easter eggs.

P.S. I will also be releasing the code with version 0.3A and for the near future plan on releasing the code with every update.

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults. I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 05:33
@Bolt:
Quote: " I will post a screenshot of my program tonight. Or a couple screenshots."

Where's the screen shots? Ive been looking forward to seeing them

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 11:02
Version 0.3A is now ready for donwload .

Single Exe: http://www.bloodnest.net/URhere.zip
Code + Media: http://www.bloodnest.net/sourceCode.zip

Please keep in mind that the code is gonna look really bad, sloopy and all around not good . I do relize there is a good amount of commands that can be made simpilar and ones in there that are not even needed anymore... but for the most part I think ive cleaned most of it. If you have any questions or suggestions go ahead and Email me them and/or contact me through msn (all the data is below this post), or just use this topic. I have a friend making me some planets & the sun so I should have much better objects for my solar system then just created spheres . Anyways I should go to bed... go school tommorrow . L8ter all!

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 21:17
Screen shots, yeah. Well, I am having trouble lining up the thrust effects to the ship. I will try a little bit more tonight. If they won't work, I will just take some screen shots without them. I really want to get them up tonight, I will try hard.

Later

Xander - Bolt Software

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 21:44 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2003 21:45
Interestingly enough, I've been collecting information from the web for a project like this, but mine was just going to be modelled on our solar system, so that I could get an idea of how big everything really is.

One thing though, I think you may need to shrink your sizes a bit Bolt, my programs have all worked perfectly after I've just shrunk them a bit - and you can't tell a thing! (up to a certain point)

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 05:57 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 06:23
Yeah!

Here are some screenshots of my space racer. It has quite a few bugs, most having to do with the scaling issue, so I am not releasing it yet. I hope these are satisfying, if not impressive.

Xander - Bolt Software

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 06:27
I have a question:

Does my new avatar show up for anyone else?

Xander - Bolt Software

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 23:13
@ Bolt nope

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 00:11
i don't think your host site allows outside linking.

~PlystirE~
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 04:08
Dang, they are really awesome too...

Please click on the following links to see the screenshots:

(the first four are a little older, the last four are newer with engine thrust graphics and better sun graphics.)

http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/screen1.jpg
http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/screen2.jpg
http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/screen3.jpg
http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/screen4.jpg

http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/screen5.jpg
http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/screen6.jpg
http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/screen7.jpg
http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/screen8.jpg

Xander - Bolt Software

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 04:34
It said that none of the files where found...

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 20:33
Crap. Try copying and pasting the addresses into the address bar. It should work.

Xander - Bolt Software

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 20:43
Nice looking screens.

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 06:54
Havnt had any updates so far... mostly waiting for my modeler to finish my models till I make any more improvements...

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 14:51
Impressive looking screen shots Bolt!

I'll be really interested to see the source when its uploaded.

I'm afraid my solar system routine has not advanced materially. I've been distracted by Lucasarts' Jedi Academy! I'm intending to return to my solar system code tomorrow. Once I produce an updated version I'll re-post it here.

Cheers

Philip

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 02:29
@Philip Good to see yea back... cant wait to see what yea add/modify

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 22:19
I have been working on two other games, one for the Alienware entry. I will finish up this code in a few days and upload it, with media. I can't really do anything else, sorry.

Xander - Bolt Software

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2003 08:34
Hey Bolt, no worries. Anything you upload will be cool.

Philip

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 04:59 Edited at: 17th Oct 2003 05:06
Yippee, I am uploading it now, by the time you read this it should be uploaded. Paste the following address into your address bar:

http://wave.prohosting.com/boltsoft/Spracer.zip

It was eventually going to be turned into a space racing game (Spracer, get it?), but I never finished it because of other games (I do that a lot ). I hope that someone else profits from my work. It took me a total of about a month to put this together, it was my first DB Pro project.

Keys:
Left/Right -> Turn left and right
Up/Down -> Pitch up and down
A/Z -> Accelerate, Deccelerate
Page Up/Page Down -> Zoom the camera in and out

A green target will be placed on the screen telling you where the next track loop is. There are also on screen arrows if you go too far one way. There are ten ships (I didn't make them. They are from Banshee Studios). Change the "shiptype" variable at the beginning to adjust which ship to use. There are a couple other variables at the beginning to change, including number of comets, and planets (it is randomly generated anyway).

The solar system is in no way attempted to be a realistic scale, but it is a good scale for flying in. Your ship scales down when getting close to a planet, but the camera moves with it, so it is virtually impossible to tell. This makes the planets look bigger when you get closer to them. Nice effect. There is no limit to how close you can get to a planet or sun, so go ahead and fly through It uses a sky sphere, some fog to obscure far away planets, nice thrust effects, planet rings and clouds, and some engine sound effects (they get kind of annoying after a while).

Feel free to mess around with the code, but I would appreciate it if I get some credit if you use it as a base engine for a game you are going to make. No big deal. Also, give Banshee studios credit for the ships, if you use those. I DID NOT MAKE THE SHIPS.

There is one annoying bug: if you try to pitch the ship up or down too far it flips over, and messes up a little. Maybe if the pitch# variable gets over 90 or less than 270, then the turn# and roll# variables should be inverted, not sure.

Hope you guys have fun with it.

EDIT: (when you put the address into your browser, a page will come up asking you to click the link to continue download, please do so)

Xander - Bolt Software

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 07:04
hmmm just downloaded it and ran it... VERY nice... i loved it... though my camera was not staying with the ship at all... it was hard controling since most of the time i couldnt see... other than that it looked GREAT .

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 03:18
oh... Dang.

At least it looks good. What version of DB Pro are you using? I made it in 1.41. Maybe the pitch and roll commands are different in the version you are using, mine doesn't do that.

Xander - Bolt Software

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 05:32
The newest version

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 15:20
Bolt, I have looked at your code and I am impressed. I particularly like the sun glare.

Philip

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 15:30:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 15:30:31