Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / CSG difference with sphere as brush bug?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When I run this test code it works fine when I use a Cube or a Cylinder to "difference" the box target. When I try to use CSG difference with a sphere on the target box a weird outcome arises. Here's the code:

A bug or not a bug.....maybe mistaken programmer, who knows. Hopefully someone on this board does

Home is where my souped-up computer is...
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 11:57 Edited at: 6th May 2010 17:18
I tried to get this one before, if you use a sphere you end up with a ring, and if you use a cone and rotate the x angle by 90 and then run the code you end up with a part cone cut out and over cut out with the rest of the box.

if these two do get fixed then it will make for cutting out parts in object 99.9% correct.

edit
if I scale the cylinder before I do the cut out I get the result I hoped for :-

however if I just use the cylinder without scaling I should ens up with a hole inside the box and should not be able to see it unless I cut the box in half.

When you use the above code it works but if you look you can see blue background inside the box, which I should not be able to see, as the cutout is smaller than the box there should be no circular hole on the faces of the box.

this code shows a cut out, however I should not have a cut out a above or below the cylinder on the box face, you should see a small hole which is curved insided.

edit2
after some experimenting the point of a cone works OK but not the base, working out how far the non visual part of the cone base goes.

edit 3
made sphere in AC3D saved as 3ds and that worked ok, but a cylinder and cone with closed ends when CSG ended up with the box part having parts of its face missing when part insterted to make cutout that do not go all the way through the object.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 17:29
here is some code and some objects in the zip file, one cylinder and cone with closed ends and a sphere saved as 3ds.

here the code that will show the box faces breaking up.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JoeOh
Years of Service
User Offline
HowDo, so you already posted a topic on this? I tried to search for a previous mention of this and got squat.

Home is where my souped-up computer is...
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 20:54
may have been a direct post to Lee about it doing the above.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:14:38
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:14:38