Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / need a level code

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i need code to put in to make my fps. i need a premade code to a dungeon or haunted house or somthing eery to that effect for the game. if you can help it'll be much obliged.

brandon v.

Solid Snake: Unfortunately, killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 04:34
You are not going to get a lot of help, if you just ask for complete code that you can drop into your game.

If you ask for some instruction on HOW to build a model (I think that's what you are looking for) for your game, or even where to start, You will get A LOT more help that way.

See, if you just ask for premade code, it lets us know that you aren't willing to try and do it yourself, and if you don't want to do it yourself then why should we want to do it for you? lol

When we see you are willing to try, then we will help.

New Site! Check it out \/
the gamerton valencia
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried. What I need is to see how others have made levels because all my levels or environment codes i have made always end up with errors even though i feel like its right. I need to see a code that works so i can find out whats wrong with mine

Solid Snake: Unfortunately, killing is just one of those things that gets easier the more you do it.
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2010 12:08
It might help if you uploaded your error-filled code for us to look at - we might be able to spot where you're going wrong.

From what you're saying, it sounds like you are either struggling to build a 3D dungeon model, or you have a 3D dungeon and you're struggling to write a program that lets you move through it - which is it?

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
the gamerton valencia
Years of Service
User Offline
It's both actually. I had a level with a perfect code but i couldn't get the fps model to work with it. Soooo i made a whole new code and then the new level didn't work. i'll get the code when i get a chance

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2010 19:38
More to the point, are your programming skills advanced enough to attempt an FPS?

If you only started programming when you joined the forums a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't think so...

TDK

the gamerton valencia
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been in my programming class all year. But the difference is we were left on our own to build a game. I don't have skills, but i'm trying my best

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I would honestly suggest a 2d game, there is a LOT to learn there that can be transferred to 3d later.

However, to answer your question, you are going to want to model your levels in an external 3d modeler and then load it into your program with LOAD OBJECT.

However, 3d is going to require you to put together your own collision detection, FPS will require ray casting for tracing the shooting paths. This can't be done too well natively in DBC, so you would want to get sparky's collision dll.

Again, I would advise against it, unless you have been doing this kind of thing all year.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 00:12
Quote: "I don't have skills, but i'm trying my best"

I'm sure you are. I wasn't trying to put you down - just letting you know that an FPS is a very big project - even when you know what you are doing.

Quote: "But the difference is we were left on our own to build a game"

Does it have to be an FPS? As BN2 Productions says, you have more chance of finishing a 2D game than a 3D one if you are new to programming. If it's for school, I would imagine your teacher is going to be more impressed with a less graphically impressive, but finished and fully working 2D game than a flashy but non-working 3D RPG!

I've just put some new tutorials on my web site at www.tdkman.com - including 2D Pong. (Most of the other 2D programs in the series like Breakout and Space Invaders are also finished but I've not yet completed the tutorial text to go with them yet).

TDK

owlman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 11:30
I agree - as confucious said - don't give a man a fish .. give him a fishing rod and set of instructions .. then he can feast ..

if effort>reward : gosub home : endif
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 08:08
Why do people have this idea that there are codes that add things to a program? It sounds like they want a four-digit number, "what's the code for super-awesome flying machines?", I'm not making fun I just don't understand where this thinking comes from.

Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 14:24
I suppose it comes from drag-and-drop computer programs/games etc. All you have to do is say what you want, and the program does it for you - build an armoury in an RTS game, create a vast 3D realm in FPSC, use wizards in MS Word to design your leaflet for you.

If you become too used to that, then when you take up proper computer programming you will just think "what button do I click, what text do I type, to get the computer to do what I expect it to do automatically?" or (more accurately) vist TGC forums and ask - "What's the code for...?"

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 18:22
I totally agree, obese. It just shows how non-programmers see the world. They have no idea what's really behind the game and what effort is required to make something worth playing. Sudo make me a sandwich indeed...

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:19:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:19:13