Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Colour Blending

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 06:51 Edited at: 10th Jun 2010 06:52
Hello everyone,
I've been experimenting with colour gradients.
When I made gradients with only three or four shades I wasn't happy with how the colours looked, the first few colours looked too similar. I think this is just the way we perceive differences in colour, the brighter colours are the more easily we can distinguish between them.

Anyway, I made a gradient using SIN and I think it looks much more balanced to the eye. Here are lots of gradients, the first line is normal gradient and the second line is sine gradient.

Does it look better to you?
Something else I was wondering is those gradient rules in the select block, is there a way to do away with the select and just use a FOR loop with them? There is a definite pattern to them but I can't work out how I could do it.
The select is a massive improvement on what I had earlier, it was about 300 lines long!

Cheers

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the first line better. The scond line seems to change too quickly.

Quote: " is there a way to do away with the select and just use a FOR loop with them? There is a definite pattern to them but I can't work out how I could do it."

I dunno, how about a rotating list with a pattern? Something like
255 255 g g 255 g

As the list rotates to the right, three values fall into place. The list wraps around until the final value is 255 g 255.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 01:27
Quote: "I like the first line better. The scond line seems to change too quickly."

Really? I thought it looked more balanced.

Quote: "how about a rotating list with a pattern? Something like
255 255 g g 255 g"

hmm interesting idea Latch, I'll give it a go.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 01:47
Overall I think I prefer the linear gradients. I found that with the sine gradient, the lighter colour seemed to dominate the darker colour.

Having said that, out of the blue to magenta lines I thought the sine gradient looked nicer.

But either method creates a nice effect.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:17:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:17:12