Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Have anyone made their own character controller?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 19:35
Hi

After searching the forums it seems to me that the conclusion is:
The character controller is pretty useless if your doing something more advanced then moving a box around on a flat terrain.

Some people mentioned multiple times that the best way to go was to make your own character controller thingy.. So I was wondering;

Have any of you made your own version of the character controller?
If so, could you please share?

I am using DGDK, but DBPro code is fine, I'll just convert it

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 22:50
What problems are you having with the character controllers?

I don't have Dark Physics but I'm familiar with PhysX, a character controller is just a special refined version of a kinematic actor.
So, make a kinematic actor and see what commands are available to handle interactions with the rest of the simulation, it all depends on how much control dark physics gives you.

Or perhaps you can dive into the PhysX controller source files and change its behaviour from there although I doubt any issues stem from the PhysX SDK.

Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 00:31
Well, when I have made the character controller and want to set it to a new position..

am i supposed to

a. set rigid body position
b. set object position
c. both, a & b

??

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 01:27
There should be two ways to position a character controller, the first is the one you will use most, it will check for collisions and stop/slide the controller if needed.
Then there should be a command which set its position without testing for any collisions, sort of a 'teleport' behaviour which you will use to reposition your character after they die etc.

Sorry I don't know the Dark Physics commands, does it not tell you which commands to use in the documaentation?

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 01:53
Anyone know how to make the controller jump and not fall so extremely fast?

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2010 16:28
that's a new one, normally its how do I make it fall fast, must be a big difference between basic and gdk.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 20:21
It all depends on what units you use If your objects are large they will appear to fall slowly and vice versa.

bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 02:35
Thats stupid because it doesn't seem to me that the actual gravity has anything to say and the size varies a lot from game to game...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:12:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:12:31