Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / HELP PLEASE! just started and wanna make a game like pong

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 00:07
hey people. id really appreciate any help you can give me.

no one replyed to my 2d megaman type game thing so i wanna start off with a pong type game seein as its easier.

so if anyone could give me a breif tutorial with some explanation in the coding, a site or just some hints where to start i'd really appreciate it.

thanks again

tricks evolve... spots change... trends fade... skateboarding is forever.
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 00:41
what have you got done so far? more then just saying I want to make a pong game, I hope.

start programming, post your code when you get stuck because it's not working like you think it should be and we will be glad to help you.

CTP
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 00:49
The reason why no one replied to your first message is because explaining a "mega man" type game would be extremly complicated. Since you seem like a newbie, advanced game programming logic would be counter productive.

But I will give you hints on how to tackle a pong type game.
(Ill try to make this completly newbie accesible)

Imagine the screen to be a massive coordinate grid (because it is). Now imagine creating a dot at the position x and y with x=100 and y =200. Your "dot" will appear at the coordinates 100,200. Now in order to move that dot, you need to change the value of x and y. look at this (desk code)

*this is not real code, merely logic or structure for code*
right now since i dont have access to dark basic pro I cant make a program that will run but the logic it right.

This displays the logic behind making the "dot" move to the right. Since "x=x+1" is in the loop, the posistion is constantly updated to 1 MORE than the previous x. Since this is done more than once a second, it appears that movement is occuring.

thats all for now, i will respond latter this evening to give you a program that runs.

Those who Fight with swords get killed by those who don't
outer heaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 01:38
hey thanks guys.
well, its a little too late right now for me to be posting code right now(its about 20 to 11 and my eyes are REALLy heavy)but ill tell you what ive done so far.

ive made a program that has 3 splash screens with background music playing. then when it gets to the playable part, the BGM changes and the main part of the program loads. basically you get to control a lil circle and move it around the screen.

i tried adding a background earlier but it slowed the game down so much. i dont wanna bother you guys right now on explaining how to make a background altho i dont understand any of the other background posts...ill just figure it out lol(hopefully)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 12:49
I whipped this up for ya while eating my dinner tonight. Look through it, and try to figure out what I did to get the end results. I put in some documentation. Learn what does what, then try to add things. Like scoring or better AI.
Erusuwasu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 10:42
The first site I ever found has a single player pong game on it. There aren't any remarks or comments, but if you go through it line by line and look up the commands in the book that came w/ DB you should be able to understand all of it when your done.

http://www.dbheaven.com

Lots of the guys in here know of the site. It's great for beginners!
Hope that helps outer heaven .

I've got DB Classic and PS Skillz and I'm not afraid to use um!
outer heaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 23:37
ahhh thanks for your help everyone.
rest assure that im gonna make the best damn pong game around.
heh heh heh....pong HERE I COME

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 12:07:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 12:07:22