Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Which is easier in DBPro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all,
I am looking at making a 2D game that would be of the original Zelda board. In doing animations for things like the angle of people walking around would it be easier to program in a 3d object or a 2d sprite with all the angles? I like sprites more just because I'm fond of the cartoony look, but in my mind 3D would be easier if you don't have to program the angles to show. Of course I am assuming you can put 3D objects into a 2D game.

Gadget
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 16:26
Quote: "In doing animations for things like the angle of people walking around would it be easier to program in a 3d object or a 2d sprite with all the angles?"

I have made games that could have been turned into a Zelda clone, but have not made one per se. I think 'easier' would depend somewhat on your abilities. If you have the ability to draw 2D sprites in such a way that the animations look realistic, 2D might be the way to go. If you are a decent modeller/animator, then 3D would probably be easiest for you.

I think with 2D, you are going to spend a lot of time drawing/creating sprites. Using tile maps should not be too hard to do, so the coding part should not be too difficult.

With 3D, you would need to model, UV map, rig and animate your characters and provide collision with everything. I think moving the camera would tend to be easier than using a 2D tileset, but the collision checks with 3D would be more involved than checking a tileset array.

If it were me, I would probably go with 3D, as I am better at modeling than I am at drawing (which isn't saying much ) but it really is a personal preference.

Quote: "Of course I am assuming you can put 3D objects into a 2D game."
I believe with DBP the sprites actually are 3D plains.

Good luck.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 17:16
Hey LBFN, this topic is double posted in DBPro chat as well, I've been responding there, but we're both on the same wavelength with the 3D technique. Maybe you could re-post there and join our little discussion, I meant to lock this one but forgot.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Zyronagon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 02:13
Quote: ""Of course I am assuming you can put 3D objects into a 2D game.""

Not that I know of. An easy way to put a 3D object into a 2D game, however, is to render each frame of your animation (walking at different angles) individually, and then resize the frames to your model's size and use them for a spritesheet.
The way LBFN put it, he's expecting you to make a 3D game, when all you really want is 3D sprites.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2010 20:07
Quote: "An easy way to put a 3D object into a 2D game, however, is to render each frame of your animation (walking at different angles) individually, and then resize the frames to your model's size and use them for a spritesheet."

So, your definition of 'easy' is to create / obtain a 3D model, rig it, animate it, capture screen renders of the different animation positions, and resize them so that they are usable sprites in a game. From my experience with the process (yes, I have made a game by doing this) I would definitely not define it as 'easy'. Doable, yes, easy, no.

Quote: "The way LBFN put it, he's expecting you to make a 3D game, when all you really want is 3D sprites."

That is not what I said. I drew comparisons between making the game in 3D versus 2D. My statement:
Quote: "If it were me, I would probably go with 3D, as I am better at modeling than I am at drawing (which isn't saying much ) but it really is a personal preference."
was regarding what I would do if it were ME, and left it up to him as to what his personal preference is.

So many games to code.......so little time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 03:18:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 03:18:47