Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Hangman

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 09:48 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 19:19
The classic american word guessing game:

Developing from the ground up in C++

Pre-Alpha build download - Website Download

game core
Score system
Different Difficulty
Themed Word-sets
UI
Graphics
sound

any suggestions are welcome

Simhood publishing - Releasing your imaginations

Attachments

Login to view attachments
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 18:25 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 18:26

I don't want to burst any bubbles but the WIP board is meant for projects either designed in a TGC product or heavily utilizing TGC content.

Also, are you really sure the origins of Hangman are american?
(I looked on Wikipedia and it looks more like Oxford to me (which is in the UK))
Could be wrong though.

thm120
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 19:16 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 19:18
Quote: "Also, are you really sure the origins of Hangman are american?
(I looked on Wikipedia and it looks more like Oxford to me (which is in the UK))
Could be wrong though."

meh ur probably right.. the only people who knew what it was when i talked to them were americans

straight from this boards description:

Quote: "If you've not quite finished your latest blockbuster, but still want people to comment on it then here is where you shout it out."

No mention of TGC or their products being involved in order to pass it as a WIP

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 19:28
Yeh it's an unwritten rule. - I don't know why they haven't put it somewhere, but usually people get moaned at for projects made in just C++ or just C# or something.

thm120
Years of Service
User Offline
if its any consolation to those who will moan.. this project was inspired by Dark GDK and might make a debut into the 3d world with Dark GDK as the "engine" once this has been finished

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 21:53
xD Don't get your hopes up, the WIP board has been asleep for about 24 hours, you're unlikely to get any haters just yet.

Quick, go put it in DGDK while they aren't looking.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 22:42 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 22:43
Not bad as a game, and a nice little console app as well. The problem I had was that the word could have been anything a lot of time when really you want to give the player some sort of support by having a random theme or something for each play. The so called Easy mode was often hard because something like -AT could have so many potential letters. At least if there was a category like "Animals" that narrows the range of possible answers - and in turn you could remove the number of lives the player has. Shouldn't be too hard to do if you liked the idea because I imagine the game gets its words from a list of some sort for each difficulty... so the same could be done for categories. Hangman with proper nouns like TV shows and characters is just as fun if not more so than normal nouns.

Also, if you did move into DarkGDK a hangman model or sprite growing with each wrong guess would be cool, instead of just the 'number of lives remaining' you have atm.

Quote: "Also, are you really sure the origins of Hangman are american?
Could be wrong though. "

I think you misread that article. It says that a book published in Oxford based on a number of (presumably worldwide) word games stated that the origins of Hangman are obscure. It could have originated anytime and anyplace where hanging occurred as a method execution, although Victorian Times is guessed at somewhere on the page. I can see the confusion as it says the "Oxford guide to ..." but lots of stuff have Cambridge or Oxford Press stamped on it, and doesn't mean it is Oxford centric.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 22:54
I didn't actually say "the game originates in Oxford". I just doubted its origins were American as the Wiki article indicates otherwise to me. But after all, people have been hanged in many countries, so it could be China or something for all we know.

thm120
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2010 23:17 Edited at: 8th Jul 2010 23:45
Quote: "give the player some sort of support by having a random theme or something for each play"
working on that as we speak, so far there will be about 4 themes, "Around the house" , "Animals" , "Cities" , and "Anything" more coming

i estimate this to take about 2 days

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 00:51 Edited at: 9th Jul 2010 00:54
Quote: "working on that as we speak, so far there will be about 4 themes, "Around the house" , "Animals" , "Cities" , and "Anything" more coming"

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing it

Quote: "I didn't actually say "the game originates in Oxford". "

Ah, that is a misunderstanding on my part then. I thought that is what you meant by "looks more like Oxford" when thm said it was a classic American game. No worries, either way I think I generally agree the game is likely to have come from Europe or Asia, but could have appeared from anywhere really (so potentially America I suppose)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 21:17:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 21:17:44