Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Comprehensive 2d platform tutorial?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello there sorry if i'm repeating old questions, but i'm a complete beginner at DBpro and would really like to learn how to code 2d games, most likely tile based platformers. I have found various beginnings into this such a zenassem's very detailed yet unfinished tutorial on the subject. I also dabbled with Reapers great side scroller tutorial but due to its absence of a 'world' for the player to exist in it's usefulness was limited.

My question is simple. Is there a comprehensive tutorial covering this topic inside or outside this forum? I'm surprised with how limited DBpro tutorials are for 2d games as i have always seen them as the gateway into larger projects.

I'd love to hear any recommendations or advice regarding this. Thank you very much. And again sorry if i'm overlooking something obvious i have somehow missed.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2010 00:23
I have a simple 2d tilemap tutorial on my website here: http://zimnox.com/dbcc/?page=tutorials

If there really isn't a tutorial on the subject, I might have a go at writing on, but I am currently in the process of writing a 2D platform editor and game engine as we speak. It's in the WIP board.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
diamondeye
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks very much, i'll be sure to start working through your tut. This looks like a great place to start! By all means i don't know the community that well so i can only speak for myself. but i would sure find it interesting if you wrote that tutorial.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2010 09:30
There is Bruce, a 2.5D remake of a classic 80's platformer (Bruce Lee), it's quite a long tutorial and not really ideal for complete beginners, but it should be worth reading:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_82.html

That's issue 82 of the newsletter, it has a link to every instalment.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
diamondeye
Years of Service
User Offline
thats great Van, thats a real gem! thanks to you boh for your great advice.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:31:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:31:27