Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Y should i buy darkbasic proffessional??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you please try and sell darkbasic pro to me - i am deciding at the moment between blitz basic 3d or darkbasic proffessional - i have some decent experiance with programming.
I would like you to tell me as much of the good stuff about darkbasic proffessional as possible

p.s I hope this is in the right forum
www.mintratech.addr.com/sig.php[/img]
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 01:46
How good a programming language is can only be defined by how good the programs you make are. Darkbasic has unlimited possibly for games if you put the time and effort into making them you can create highly detailed games with lots off effects and what not.
Now as for DB its self, its extremely easy to pick up, I learnt the basics in less then a day and was making good quick games in a month, and I have to go to college as well. The language has lots if commands that can be used with ease to handle objects, images, bitmaps, 3d position sound, music, multiplayer internet commands, ftp commands, texture effects, collisions, and much more.

That sold it enough?

Skid
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 01:52
DarkBasic Pro can do close to everything C++ can, only in an easier language set and not quite as fast (but almost being a DirectX Compiled) ... there are a few things to be updated after all the little kinks are out, but really is a very professional level language.

only real score against it right now is, it still has a few major gremlins running around it - but Lee is beating the little buggers quicker than you can count them

if you require stability now, then i'd go for Blitz3D ... if you want a language which can adapt and grow with you into the future then i'd go with DBpro.

Especially as you can actually create your very own built in functions using C++ which I'm aware there is actually a few update functions in the works from third parties

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 01:53
I agree with skid about DBPro being very easy to pick up if your not a complete novice and it has very powerful 3d commands, BUT! its full of bugs at the minute If you buy just prepare yourself to be annoyed and prepare to produce lots of 'work around' code. I'm sorry but i can't lie!

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7, WinXP Pro
Gink!
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I'm asking the same question "Why should I buy darkbasic professional??"

I have the trial version ( with patch 2 ) - and the amount of bugs is well, kinda amazing !

I know this is what I want, its too similiar to STOS ( programming language I used to use ( alot ) on the Atari ST ) to forget about - but even simple commands such as

SET DISPLAY MODE 1024, 768, 32
( and any difference is width/height/res I can think off )

causes errors!

Anyone experiencing the same trouble?

I'm running Windows ME, 192meg of ram with a 64meg 3D Prophet 4000XT

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 13:10
That command works fine for me. In fact, that's the first command in all programs I write.

If the program isn't actually crashing, but you're just seeing wierd things, chances are it's a conflict with your graphic card drivers or something. I'd go update them to the newest versions.

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
Gink!
Years of Service
User Offline
The first thing I did was update my Graphic Card Drivers., plus reinstalled DX 8.1

And no - your right, the program isn't actually crashing, but I'm not seeing wierd things.
Its giving me an error message, saying something or other is wrong with the DBCompiler

Nikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 17:06
I think you should go for DBP. Plenty of bugs now. But have a greater potential than Blitz. And Blitz will probably not be supported when blitz max is released, right?
-Nikkoz
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 17:25
Best bet is to download BOTH DBPro and BB3D and try them, IMHO DBPro still has waay to many bugs in it to be entirely useful. Also check out the forums and see which your most comfortable with.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 22:49
Patch 3 and 4 are due before the years end. They are both major fixes.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 08:30
Who cares about Blitz... we're getting our SDK for plugin Functions WOOHOO!
Bugs... Ha i laugh at thee, now we can all help kill the blighters.

(at this point Lee is gonna step in and say thats not what the TPC SDK is for and crush my spirit )

Oh and the note of the Set Display Mode height,width,bpp
... make sure you turn OFF the Window Mode FULLSCREEN or it'll take whatever Res you put and stretch it fullscreen.
also there are only certain resolutions graphics cards are capable of - however windows aren't restricted to

but colour bit modes are restricted to 16 or 32

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 08:31
lol that was wrong its Set Display Mode Width,Height,BPP
(dumbass me, need more caffeen for this new 48hour days )

Ravey
Retired TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 10:44
"Patch 3 and 4 are due before the years end. They are both major fixes."

Sounds good - has this been announced officially?
Patch 3 must be imminent then.
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 11:30
Despite the teething problems with DBPRO its shaping up to be a good develeopment platform so id go with dbpro UNLESS you need somthing to complete a project immediatley, in which case id look at doing somthing in c++ etc.
And yes a patch is coming before xmas so a lot of fixes are in this one - stability and consistency seem to be the things they are working on at the moment so im looking foward to beta testing it.

Be afraid..be very afraid were all being watched!!
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 12:43
" "Patch 3 and 4 are due before the years end. They are both major fixes."

Sounds good - has this been announced officially?
Patch 3 must be imminent then."

Patch 3 is due out before the end of november, Lee has confirmed this. However you will not see patch 4 until 2003, this is the patch that will contain the new 3D pipeline afaik!

Dazzy
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 12:49
What errors did the SET DISPLAY command cause ?

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 02:54
isn't the new 3D pipeline going to be in patch5 to fixx most of the BSP stuff?

Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 20:01
"isn't the new 3D pipeline going to be in patch5 to fixx most of the BSP stuff?
"

you could be right, but going on the posts here and on rgt I got the impression patch 4 will see the new pipeline and the DBO model loading stuff, then patch 5 will start the migration to DX9

Dazzy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 21:07:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 21:07:54