Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Function wierdness * Failed to 'CFileBuilder::AddPCKToEXE'

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 14:15
Why does this code fail to compile and run with the error above:

The editor highlights this line:

It will compile successfully with f4, but the exe will crash. It will fail to build and give that error with f5. Everytime.

DBPro and Dba files attached in zip file

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 14:20 Edited at: 25th Aug 2010 14:23
[edit] I'm thinking this is an editor bug ... the problem swaps back and to from f4 to f5. It'll compile one way then not the other on opening and closing the file.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 14:29
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2010 22:28
Thanks for pointing that out I was too sleepy to think of how to search that. I was convinced it was that function doing it as if I remove it from my code it all goes away and that small code crashes every time with either f4 or f5 alternating ... while all my other codes never give that error. I'm gonna hunt up a version of the old editor as I am convinced it's an editor issue.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 01:24
I think there's a problem with your code. I've just tested it and my guess is that there's an undetected stack overflow resulting from the recursive function call. The following snippet is the same as yours except for some additional code to print out the nesting level and wait for the spacekey (yes, we both like the spacekey ) before continuing. I gave up after the nesting level reached 186. Without the checks introduced by my code I guess it causes a stack problem. It compiles every time without problems for me on Vista 64bit with U7.5 - and with the new editor.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 01:37 Edited at: 26th Aug 2010 02:02
I know there is an error in the code logic LOL. The exe silently crashes. My question is why it fails to build sometimes from that project. If I type that exact code one char at a time into a new project, with the new editor, the compiling error goes away. The exe still silently crashes ... but it compiles fine 0_o Also Codesurge compiles that exact project repeatedly without fail yet; using either the ctrl+f5 or f5 key 0_o

[edit] Anyone know where I can find a copy of the old default IDE? I want to use it instead of this new one. I used Blue IDE exclusively before pretty much, with the default ide as a backup, but it doesn't work at all with Windows 7

I would use codesurge as my default ide, but you HAVE to either save the project before compiling/ set the options to do so ... or it won't compile. I do alot of change this and test kinda stuff and it overwrites my old stuff each time BLAH! I don't wanna save till I'm ready

[edit2] If you change the top part of the code in that project to this (adds a + 2) it won't crash any more when running the exe, though the compile error still exists.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 02:19
Hmm. Not sure what to suggest. I don't get the same compilation problem with your project - but then I followed the advice of someone on the other thread, something to do with AV or security permissions I think.

Vaguely recall some of my old exe files won't run now - but that could be for any number of reasons.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 02:58
Just went back to the old editor with the unofficial patch and all my compile problems have so far went away. I tested old codes and that project that was causing trouble before. They can say all they want about it being this or that, but if the old editor works and codesurge works ... I think the new editor should work too without disabling everything on my computer 0_o At least I have it working now

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 13:27
Quote: "At least I have it working now"

Good - but these niggles are annoying especially when there's no official explanation.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 20:25 Edited at: 27th Aug 2010 14:10
Well so far I'm still error free on the original ide. I just wish it wasn't so slow on large files LOL. I have been editing in Synergy and compiling with the old ide on large files LOL.

[edit] Just had it happen for the first time with codegurge. Still hasn't happened with the old default ide.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 02:11 Edited at: 29th Aug 2010 02:14
It's irrelevent of the IDE; it happens when the compiler cannot overwrite your program with the new compiled one. Usually it's because the program is still running, and windows has locked the file, preventing it from being changed.

If for example your program has a serious error, even once it has shown the error, windows can take a while "cleaning up". You will probably find that the program still exists in the process list of task manager.

It may appear to have something to do with the editor because you do something slightly differently when using it which means that the file becomes locked for longer, or it may be that Synergy does some crazy thing which involves accessing the created .exe, but I'm fairly sure that CodeSurge doesn't.

[b]
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 12:32
Quote: "It may appear to have something to do with the editor "

Sounds like something (in the compiler itself?) isn't checking that the way is clear before attempting to compile. This IS a relatively new problem - whether it's a change in the compiler or the editor I really don't know. Could it be due to a change in Windows itself - which might give the appearance that DBPro is at fault?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 12:47
It's strange to me indeed. I got blue IDE v1 to work and compile and it gets that error just as often as the new ide. It never gave me any problems before. Yet I still haven't had it happen even once with the old IDE. Maybe it's so slow it has time for everything to work out LOL. In any case I am deving in Blue and compiling in the old IDE with the unofficial patch. So far no errors yet. If I get one I'll let ya know.

Roland Maurer
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same problem (Failed to 'CFileBuilder::AddPCKToEXE'). I'm not sure, but it might be related to the fact I changed the AV a few days ago (migrated from McAffee to Avast). Nothing else has changed (neither the IDE, nor anything in Windows, XP by the way).

This is DBPRo 1.075,
running on Win XP SP3
the editor is DBPro Editor (Synergy), Build Jun 23, 2010.

Of course I tried to disable the AV, to no avail. I also closed the directory, and followed all the above advice, I think (except I did not reinstall the old IDE).

No project compiles anymore. The error happens every time. I'm stuck with an academic research project (no game) which I can no longer modify. This is very bad for me and my students.

Any further idea? Many thanks.

Roland Maurer
FPSE, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 11:59
You say you've followed all the advice. Did you try the advice given by NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret on this thread:

Failed to (etc)

He suggested adding the DBPro compiler to the exceptions list in:

Quote: "Control Panel->System->Advanced->Performance->Data Execution Prevention->Add Exception"

I think that was the one that worked for me.

I still get the problem from time to time on one of my machines (at least I suspect it's the same problem - it's hard to reproduce it when I need it like now ) but I just keep hitting the compile button till it compiles. I'm so used to doing it that I forget I still do it (note to self: make a note next time it happens and post back here).
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2010 22:45
Quote: "at least I suspect it's the same problem - it's hard to reproduce it when I need it like now "

Well, what do you know? I've been compiling on both my machines numerous times since I said that and the problem hasn't occurred once. Compiling has been clean (except for my bugs of course ).

Perhaps it happens when some automatic background task is taking place and I've just been lucky for 36 hours?
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 14:36 Edited at: 14th Nov 2010 14:37
I have found that by simply closing the project window stops the error (Altho I have added DBP to my list of AVG exceptions).

The problem lies where Windows is accessing the file to update the size and creation date at the same time as DBP is trying to write it. Closing the project window stops this from happening.

It took me many weeks to notice the connection between leaving the window open and getting the error.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2010 01:19
Interesting.

So why are some people experiencing this and not others? Is it a timing issue, of various processing threads perhaps?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:59:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:59:39