Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 20:19
I have three questions:
1. What is the best method to create a 2D backdrop for a 3D game, now that "texture backdrop" is gone. I just want a wraparound 3D stars view.
2. What would be the best method for creating outer space levels without hardcoding them?
3. How could I create a view where the player's ship is followed from behind, like over-the-should, but the camera doesn't turn EXACTLY as the ship does, so it looks like a camera following the ship?
Thanks for the help.
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 23:10
1. Use a skysphere, or skycylinder depending on the camera view you have. Generate the starmap at run-time, it's easy enough to do (a bunch of random dots) and it saves space since you aren't using so much external media.
2. Outer space levels as in what? Space generally contains nothing except ships, enemy ships and giant balls of burning gas and/or rock. I'd advise against trying to model a planet, but if you give more information about the levels we can help.
3. You could use the set camera to follow command. You can smooth this so it isn't always stuck rigidly behind the ship. You can also do it using complicated maths commands.
SpaceInvader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 21:53
What I meant on #2 is that I need a away to position ships and have different evetns occur. A map editor wouldn't really work since, as you said, there's not much out there except ships and big rocks.
Thanks for the help.

Dreamora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 00:10
3. Save your 4. last shipposition or so and set the camera position to this coordinates, followed by a "point camera" to the actuel ship coordinates, this should have the effect you like to have

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 00:14
2. Use an array of 3d coordinates for your initial ship positions, and move them based on some rules. To trigger events, you could have two sets of coordinates for opposite corners of a collision box, then when the player enters the box events can be triggered.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:14:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:14:31