Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / character controller without using phy character controller(almost going)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2010 22:24
Well after bashing the code to death have almost got it do the moves it needs.

I have back and fore wards, strafe left/right, and almost rotate left right, it sometimes work and then rolls around.

here the code its the modified version of the character controller demo with dynamic body instead.

if someone wants to have ago at getting the last bit going then you'll have a working system.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 00:41
Is it possible to have an exe available for the non DB users?
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 17:03
Thanks HowDo. I was trying to run this, but I must not have it in the right location, as the media is not found. I found the character controller code, but it was in the Tutorials section and not in the Demos. Can you tell me specifically where it is located?

So many games to code.......so little time.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 17:14
@Moraldi

I think its possable but it will only show some of what going on.

@LBFN
you should find the rest of the media for this at

C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Professional\Projects\Dark Physics\Demos\Character Controllers

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 19:05 Edited at: 1st Sep 2010 19:26
In my Demos folder, I only have folders for Cloth, PhysX, Rigid Body and Vehicles. Nothing for Character Controllers. I'll have to look around TGC to see if I can find it.

EDIT: Got it figured out. The code starts out okay, but gets all messed up when I move forward and then try to turn.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 20:05 Edited at: 1st Sep 2010 20:06
Yeah agree, I can see in the physX Debugger that this happen because the object lean forwards instead of moving forward, so instead of beginning on all for corners its only on the front two the back is in the air, so when you turn left right it spins at an angle.

tried with kinematic but there not control with this command set.

I even move the mass to lower to the ground but still no joy.

not tried making a material that slippy.

this demo should be in the downloads in your order history and the comp one.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 20:19
ok this fixes the camera problem it had it now follows were the object goes.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 20:32
backing up a bit, what's the list of things that the character controller does not do or you can't seam to make work?

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 18:01 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2010 05:43
Still spins uncontrollably for me.

Quote: "backing up a bit, what's the list of things that the character controller does not do or you can't seam to make work?"

I only tried your code because I recall there being issues with the character controller and I thought it would be nice to have an alternative.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 19:36
that what I was trying to achieve but its not that easy, as others have found, plus we do not seem to have access to some of the dll commands power on some commands set.

found out that the character controller is a kinematic object but we cannot make something the same with the kinematic command set.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2010 03:07 Edited at: 5th Sep 2010 16:29
The more I think about it, it seems that the number of games that need physics control of a player is less than I expected. It appears that writing a work-around for the character controller is going to be a tedious process. Since the initial games that I hope to write with DP do not require a character controller, I hope to revisit this someday later.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:34:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:34:41