Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 22:53
I am trying to make a level editor (for indoor levels). I have made a 2d screen where you can place boxes. Once you try it out in 3d, each box from the 2d version is made into a 3d box.
However, when many boxes are side-by-side, you can see gaps in between - how can I get rid of these visible join lines?
I need to be able to do this to make long, straight walls with no join lines between each individual box.
Can anyone help?
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 23:14
Well, if you want to make long straight walls, why not make it all one box?

The joint lines may be a problem with your 3D Card or your texture.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 02:29
There do seem to be some tearing issues with dbpro. Putting two plains with a seamless texture next to each other in dbpro shows a faint tear line and the matrix tears frequently for me along the joins. I've got a GeForce4 MX440 64MB and updated my drivers about 1 month a go, so I dont know whether it's the card or dbpro, but there are issues.

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 03:48
That will happen in any 3D Engine (Jedi Knights hyper use of the LOD Surface Objects in particular a good example)

What you'll need to do is put what you create into a memblock and effectively weld the vertex together as single points and use that mesh - otherwise you'll have to live with them.
It is an after effect of a sped up ZBuffer Class within DirectX, I suppose the team could work on a new ZBuffer to combat this ... but the price would be speed i'm afraid.

However that aside the matrix doing this is quite parculiar

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
david
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 13:37
It is probably alright if I texture them with seemless textures, but I want the collision to work. Using 'automatic camera collision' does not work, as it will go through the joins - even though they look miniscule.
Is there any other way I can do the collision?
By the way, it would be very hard to make them all one block as the level designer is not made to do this.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2002 17:28
Well, if your array was 10x10 and each "block" is 10 wide, then your position would be:

100-(x*10)-5,10,(y*10)-5

The -5's are there to get a central point, as when objects are position it is the centre that is positioned.

With that code I get no gaps.

Now, onto collision.

Automatic camera does nothing except not work over here so you will have to have a workaround. With DBP this is easy, quick and fast:

Basically you make a sphere to go round the camera and position this at the camera. Then check for collision with this sphere. Checking for collision with the camera's position is too late as when the camera overlaps a shape it will be able to see inside.

Hope this helps.

I love Star Trek.
Especially the Episodes with Starships in.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:47:40
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:47:40