Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Stick Strike : Mission Suicide

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 10:13 Edited at: 21st Nov 2010 12:11
Hello everybody,
i present to you one of my new games.
This one is very inspired by Stick Suicide 2 (from Valle).

It's a stick shooter game that will have a storyline and a deathmatch mode.
The game is wanted to be humouristic and to have a nice style (but still with sticks...)

It won't be an online game.

There is no demo available for now but you can watch movies of the project on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCtl7gWDCyA

At this stage, the game core is almost completed.
What is left to do is :
level editor
AI
storyline editor

The demo is out !
Here is the link to download it : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PXYGWUZD

- When you launch the game you have to choose your display mode
- To move : right/left keys
- To jump : up
- To crouch : down
- to fire : left mouse
- slow motion : right mouse
- to change weapon : mouse wheel
- to zoom : ctrl + mouse wheel
- favorite weapon : 1-9
- save favorite weapon : ctrl + 1-9

Please, correct my english
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 13:55
Cool! - looks like a very fun game.

One thing though, you shouldn't call it a FPS, just call it a shooter - a FPS is a First Person Shooter, people might expect a stick based FPS to be 3D.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 15:03
Well, this just looks too awesome!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 16:34
That's awesome! What are you using to do the physics? Wall jump is superb.
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks !

@Van B : you're right, i change this right now

@Dr Tank :
I used a combination of box2D (for advanced physics) and my one system (for dot physics, raycasting, en player movement, because it's faster).
The player can do backflips too

Sry for mybad english
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 18:28
AWESOME! haha looks very fun, i really like the slow motion!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2010 18:46 Edited at: 28th Sep 2010 18:47
Looks very cool. Just make sure you keep it:
- simple
- lots of blood
- completely customizable

That is what made the original stick suicide so fun, don't get bogged down adding complicated features which don't add much

Is there a possibility of you adding in multiplayer after you have finished the main game? Playing online would make this extremely addictive!

[b]
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
@Diggsey :
It will be simple but i want to add a kind of storyline.
Lots of blood : of course
Completely customizable : there is already a weapon editor, and there will be a level editor too

I really wanted to make it multiplayer, but i don't have the skills to do it yet. Maybe i will try to do it later but i think i will have some problems with the code structure.

Sry for mybad english
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
I first thougt the walls were completely destroyable, but then the holes started to fade away... why? It is just a small jump from here to make it that way, and would add much to the gameplay!

Of course there is the problem - which i just thought about when almost pushed enter - when a vertical obstacle is shot into pieces, they should all become their own particles in the physics simulation, which now is a not so easy task. However if everything is done, i would give it a shot if i were you, sounds like a nice challenge.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2010 01:26
Looks incredible. You rarely see such graphical/animational detail in games, especially when it comes to the ones made in DBPro. Apart from that, I'm a big fan of storytelling, so I really hope that you will finish it. Without wanting to put you under pressure of course.

Quel: I highly doubt that the current system can in some way be expanded to support real destructible environments. Seemingly shot impacts just create some sort of what you'd call Decal in a 3D-game. Changing the level geometry would certainly be much more complicated.
However, your "if everything is done, i would give it a shot"-suggestion sounds reasonable to me.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2010 02:03 Edited at: 29th Sep 2010 02:04
This looks amazing-- definitely far better than I expected going into this thread. The slow motion is awesome and the artwork is superb. The sounds also fit very well--where did you get them? Also, how did you make the animations so smooth? Lastly, how are you handling your particles--Do you use individual objects with animated sprites on them or something else? Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just very curious about how you pulled this great game off .

Bravo, I look forward to playing this

Guns, cinematics, stealth, items and more!
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like you got the sounds off of Counter Strike.

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to turn back for a bit more to the destroyable walls...

The art style and the overall look could be taken to a new level with some mid gray stylish vector like backgrounds, and the destruction of walls could work like the ground blowing up in the 2D Worms games, which kinda simulates a 3D-ish 2D ground... so it wouldn't be funny if the pieces wouldn't become their own particles, since they are still connected in the third dimension. Just think of it, how much more could this game be than those other stickman games out there, when you must flee away from something/body, and you just blow your way out... could be a nice addition to the story mode two, a little puzzle side to the gore.

If the decals are achieved by placed white sprites, may i suggest for you to study memblocks? I finally had the energy a week ago for it and i did miracles since, things i couldn't even have dreamt of being in my game before. One of the perfect areas for memblocks is the hole placing into walls... and basically anything else...

Just throwing ideas at ya, don't get offended, it is already a heavy core for a good game.
LandShark
User Banned
Posted: 29th Sep 2010 04:36
This is.... Awesomazing (combo of awesome and amazing in case you didn't know). This is an epic idea
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
@Quel & Mr Kohlenstoff :
It is actually decal. Years ago i started a clone of Worms with a complete physic engine and destructible walls using memblocks. But it can't be applied here for lots of reasons:
- physics are already hard to compute and sometimes cause FPS decreasing (and blood too). Adding such complex geometry will definitely make the game very slow.
- the way the code is done now isn't compatible with it
- i want to keep the possibility to have huge levels without any loading time. Working with memblocks will decrease performances and need a lot of memory (one image per wall for fast computation)

To be honest, i first thought of making walls destructible, but i dropped the idea because of its complexity. A solution could be to turn fake holes into real holes, but with a box shape (when the fake hole fade, a real hole is revealed but with a box geometry).
To replace destructible walls, i thought of special walls or windows that can be smashed into pieces, but not with real physics and dynamic hole (for example, you can destroy a wall but not partially)

@Eminent :
you're totally right

@Sixty Squares :
i created a keyframer to edit animations. To get smooth animations, i apply a simple linear interpolation that is not based on basic coordinates but on polar coordinates.
The blood is made of small particles (a simple pasted sprite) and the fragments falling from the walls are pre-computed particles system (i created a software similar to particle illusion in which i design the effect and then export it with an alpha channel. Thus the resulting effect is just an image sequence).

Sry for mybad english
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2010 04:49
Thanks for answering . That polar coordinate thing is very clever, I never would have thought of that. When you save angles from your keyframer, do you use linear interpolation on the angles and calculate new positions for the limbs on the fly, or do you export enough frames so that it looks smooth? In other words, do you call COSINE and SINE and interpolate the angles several times per loop without much lag? Or did you pre-calculate these values?

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
The interpolation is done in real-time.
This allow me to have smooth animations during slow motion and to store less data.

Sry for mybad english
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2010 11:50
Quote: "do you use linear interpolation on the angles"

Quote: "In other words, do you call COSINE and SINE and interpolate the angles"

Wouldn't that be a cosine-interpolation, not a linear one? However, something like cubic interpolation would probably look even better, while running a bit slower of course. Anyway, the animations are already looking great.
Another question, do you use motion blur? I'm not quite sure after watching the video several times. It's just that everything looks extremely smooth, which could also be due to antialiasing, if you're using that.

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a linear interpolation but in a polar space centered on each join. This is not the same thing as a cosine interpolation.

I don't use motion blur nor antialiasing.
It may be the video encoder ?

Currently i'm fixing some bugs

Sry for mybad english
Sepnon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2010 20:33
looks a lot like stick soldiers II
nice ;]
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2010 02:16 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2010 02:17
@Graphiboc: Thanks for the response! Good luck on this project .

@Mr. Kohlenstoff: ...
I'm not a scholar when it comes to naming interpolation functions in mathematics. By
Quote: ""do you use linear interpolation on the angles""
I meant something like this:

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2010 09:23
Simply amazing...

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2010 18:14
Fantastic animation. Would love to play a demo...?

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
The demo is out !
I have worked on the level editor (not available in this demo) and on AI.
Currently there are 46 weapons but you can add more using the weapon editor (not available in this demo).

Here is the link to download it : http://www.toofiles.com/fr/oip/documents/zip/stickstrike-missionsuicide.html

The explanations are in french so i will translate the most important part for you :

- When you launch the game you have to choose your display mode
- To move : right/left keys
- To jump : up
- To crouch : down
- to fire : left mouse
- slow motion : right mouse
- to change weapon : mouse wheel
- to zoom : ctrl + mouse wheel
- favorite weapon : 1-9
- save favorite weapon : ctrl + 1-9

Enjoy !

Sry for mybad english
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I have no idea how to navigate that site. And, it only lets me download some random htm document.

Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
you have to click on the file icon (just underneath the text "Téléchargez le document en cliquant dessus") then ont he file name : "stickstrike-missionsuicide.zip". You choose save in the dialog that open and that's all

Sry for mybad english
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
This game is AWESOME!!!! Im so addicted.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2010 21:31
This game looks epic, from the video I've seen on facebook I can tell that it's spectacular, I just want to see how those other characters shape up. I'd be downloading now If I weren't on my mac.

If you ever need any stick animations, I've been using flash for 5 years and I'm confident that I could make you some really nice animations for this project.

please, email me at wray2u@gmail.com

imageflock.com/img/1272671763.jpg[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

I uploaded a more recent version with the level editor included and a funny introduction.

After viewing the introduction, you will directly access the level editor.
Press [enter] to play when you are in the editor.
Be careful that all the modifications you will do to the level will be saved after pressing [enter]

Here is the link : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RD8RG8YW

@Bugsy:
thx a lot for your proposition. Actually, the game uses its own keyframer to build animations. However, if you want to do animations with the keyframer, i could send it to you. Do you have any idea of animation that should be added ?

@Eminent :
Im glad you liked it !

Sry for mybad english
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2010 19:26 Edited at: 4th Nov 2010 19:28
I just played your latest demo

The game was very slick, and I really like all the effects. Some suggestions for improvement:
- Have only 2 or 3 weapons at a time, and add a key to throw away the current weapon, so that you can pick one up of the ground. At the moment you spawn and then desperately scroll through the weapons to find a good one, meanwhile the enemies are killing you.
- A short time of invincibility after spawning.
- Surviving as only a neck is just a little unrealistic, aside from the fact that you can sometimes not see/hit enemies when they are just a neck
- The wall jumping seemed a little buggy at times.
- For throwable objects, perhaps holding down the mouse button could increase the power of the throw when it is released?

[b]
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
@Diggsey :
- i will implement a max amount of weapons just like you suggested. This won't be limited to 3 weapons, the user will have the possibility to choose the max number of weapons that players can hold. However, you have the possibility to "favourite" a weapon and then use the corresponding shortkey to use it (Ctrl + 1-9 to favourite, and 1-9 to select the weapon).
- i will as well add a short time of invincibility.
- once again, you're right : surviving with only a neck will be disabled
- what do you mean by "a little buggy" ? Works fine for me and for the computer players as well.
- i also thought of increasing the power of the throw using the time the mouse is hold. Will be done in the next version.

By the way, since you are the creator of the box 2D wrapper, do you have some tips to decrease computation time for the physics ? There is a lot of stuff provided by Box2D that i don't need. I just need static/dynamic object with box or circle shape, and the "join" constraint.

Sry for mybad english
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
hell, at times i survived with only an arm or head.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 01:01 Edited at: 5th Nov 2010 01:05
You can gain a small saving by combining shapes into a single body instead of joining two bodies together with a fixed joint (creating/deleting shapes is a fairly fast operation)

You could try calling 'b2SetSafetyCodeEnabled 0' at the top of your program to see if you get a performance increase, but be aware that if you use an invalid ID the app will likely crash instead of showing a helpful error message.

Make sure you have sleeping enabled on the world. That way bodies that have come to rest can be left out of the simulation.

If it's still slow, try reducing the number of iterations for b2StepWorld (the default is 10)

As for the jumping being a little buggy, it seems that sometimes when I hit a wall and I'm holding jump, I jump off again. Other times I seem to get stuck on the side of the wall, and sometimes the player seems to vibrate when that happens. I have to let go of jump and then press it again to jump off.

[b]
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
@Eminent :
that's impossible. You can survive with a neck, shoulder and arm, but not only a arme. It's the same thing for the head : you can survive with a neck and a head but not with the head alone.

@Diggsey :
Thanks for the tricks i will try disabling safety code, and reduce the number of iterations.
For the jumping i know ths problem, i just don't have figured out yet how to fix it.

Sry for mybad english
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Then my version must be bugged cuz everytime I lightsaber the AI or get sliced myself, I survive with a head.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 17:27
Quote: "Do you have any idea of animation that should be added ?"

no, but I think that the current animations could be improved and look a bit slicker and more real. (or unreal if that's what you're going for)

imageflock.com/img/1272671763.jpg[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
Kryogenik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 23:04 Edited at: 8th Nov 2010 23:05
First off, incredible graphics, especially for DBPro. Awesome gibs and cool sound effects gives it an atmosphere you don't always find in games in these forums, and makes it really fun. Just a few critcisms:
1. Make it so you can control the player with WASD. One of my pet peeves with any shooter game is having to have my hands right next to each other because you can't use WASD. But thats not hard at all to add, so whatever.

2. What's with the level editor at the beginning? Have a menu where you can select whether you want to play a level or edit one.

3. People get stuck in the floor, especially when they lose limbs. Speaking of which, how can you live without a head?

4. Make it so their is a spawn recovery time, or whatever you want to call it. And if there is one, make it longer, because I died 5 times after spawning next to someone with an rpg and getting killed instantly.

5. More about losing limbs. Its kind of a cool feature, but makes it so hard to move around you might as well be dead, you know.

6. Make the maps bigger, it would be so win.

7. Networking isn't all that hard, just use multisync. You could probably use the TCP version because the game probably won't need a whole lot of networking power. Use net host(playernumberhere) to start the server and connect("IPAddressmindthequotationmarks") to join it. To put variables into a packet (the messages that go over the network) just do this

If you are a client, you can only send messages to the server. Clients call net send to send the packet to the server. Servers can call net send playernumber to send data to a specific client if they want. Just a mini example, lets say you wanted to chat in game.

Server:

Client:

I'm not sure if that will actually compile, but it might. I haven't used multisync or DBPro for months, so I sort of forget it. This should at least provide some pseudocode for you. Just some notes about that code.

You should always tell the player that joins which player ID they are. The first one to join is one, and the second is two, and so on. I forget why now, but trust me, tell the clients which player ID they are.

When you send a message, you have to receive it in the same manner. For example, if you send 2 strings, and then a byte, you have to receive two strings and a byte to get it to work correctly, like this.

The obvious limitation of this is that if you have to know whats in the message before you really read it. Having one big packet that has every variable thats going to be passed around in it is a bad idea. Instead, have specialized packets like sendshoot(), or senddeath() with corresponding ID's which you can define as constants at the beginning of the program to make it more user friendly. Like so:

Of course, your messages don't have to be that simple, but you get the idea.

MPInput is a function I made/copied that is a lot like the standard DBPro input function except it doesn't stall the game when called. You put the x and y coordinates you want the text to show up at and any text you want to show up before what your typing, like "This is what your typing: " You make a string equal the result of the function to get just what your typing for stuff. You wouldn't want the message you send to people in chat always start with "This is what your typing: "

The whole business about the down, and typing variables is just me being lazy. It basically makes sure holding enter doesn't make you enter your message before you start typing. You can do it however you want.

Multisync comes with tutorials, so check it out.

8. You don't spawn with a weapon, which sucks. Even if you just get a pistol, its something.

I didn't play stick suicide, though, so maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about. If some of my criticisms aren't true and I just don't get something, then my bad. Good game, sorry about the long post XD

gpDirect3DDevice->DoSomethingAwesome(FPS_GAME)
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
@Bugsy:
as i said, if you want, i can give you the current version of the keyframer so you can modify any animation you want. What are the animations you had like to improve ?

@Kryogenik:
thanks for your comment. I will answer your questions point by point :
1. The controls will be totally customizable when the menus will be done
2. It's the same thing : for now, i didn't do any menu, the game start with the level editor so you have a preview of it. That's all. Of course, when the game will be finished, you will be able to choose to edit or load a level, and change the settings of the game.
3. If you have no legs, how could you walk ? The spirit of the game is to have fun loosing and make loosing limbs. You can survive without a head, and your head will then sprout again. By the way, i didn't precise it, but there are some weapons that need to have both arms to be used. That's why sometimes you can't use a weapon or pick it.
4. done
5. yes, it's hard to move arround when you have no legs, and it's hard to fire, when you have no arms. The goal is to manage to survive until your legs or arms grow back. There is no games without challenges If you don't want to keep stuck in the ground, juste use the down key to commit suicide.
6. The level editor allow you to create levels of any size. In the future, i will include lots of big levels. But currently i'm working on the game core.
8. In the version you have, you spawn with all the weapons, just use your mouse wheel. I think i will add an option to choose if players spawn with a weapon (fixed or random), or not. As Diggsey suggested, i added a max amount of different weapons you can carry by category of weapons. By the way, now the power of the throw for grenades increase when you hold the mouse button.

7. I'm not against the multiplayer thing. I worked on converting stick suicide into a multiplayer game using multisync. My problem is to ensure that each computer will see exactly the same thing at the same time. I think i will work on it when the game will be completed. Thanks for your advices.

I also worked on the way sounds are playing and it sounds better now.

Sry for mybad english
Graphiboc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2010 18:45 Edited at: 15th Nov 2010 18:46
New version !

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=31C5D5BD

what's new :
- the game has been optimizing a lot (it now run at full speed everytime on my computer)
- you can't fire through walls if your weapon stick out anymore
- you respawn without any weapon
- you can carry only two weapons by category of weapon (middle-mouse to drop the current weapon)
- i added an invincibility time when you respawn (bullets go through the player if he is still transparent)
- i added a functionality in the weapon editor : some weapons can have bullets that go through wall and are slowed down by it
- you can control the power of the throw by holding the mouse button

Please, correct my english
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool effects, I like the way the player's limbs fall off.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 23:08:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 23:08:50