Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Particle Engine?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just wondering how you would create a particle engine in the DB architecture. More specifically, would you make an array of sprites for all the particles, or would you make an array of "sprite info" (coords, images) and then have a single sprite hop around the screen to represent each of those particles, and so on.

I'm scoping out DB to see if it will fit my needs and just want to get an idea of how things like that are handled, so thanks for any help.
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 02:18
dbpro has particles
WarHunterX
Years of Service
User Offline
If you dont even know where to start, chances are you wont even have a chance at finishing it. Find a premade particle library.
neonfaktory
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, thanks for the help War. As a matter of fact I have already made a buff particle engine in OpenGL that handles my own 3-layer design TGA transparency sprites, custom color masks utilizing the 3 layer design, full alpha, color, and rotation tweening, dynamic or static particle lists, and optional particle grouping via emitters or arbitrary grouping.

What I was asking was how you would handle that within the limits of the DarkBASIC architecture. I've been looking for a way to do what I do easier, faster, and most importantly license free, but the more I inquire the more I find I need DBPro. Probably just going to stick with C++ and GNU Licensed stuff anyway.
Erusuwasu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 09:48 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2003 10:16
Well particles umm... sorry I'm no help there.

If your using DBClassic and you just want to know if it has the capabilities to do what you want, then you might try asking in the DarckBASIC Discusions section. One of the more experienced users will probably know.

Don't be to hard on MAD, he had no way of knowing what your skills are.

Sorry if this wasted your time. I hope someone can answer your question

I've got DBClassic and Photoshop Skillz and I'm not afraid to use um!
neonfaktory
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, I've had lots of "programmers community/help forum" experience and became slightly defensive on the behalf of people who are inexperienced and get responses like that telling them to give up or not even start thier goals.

What I was asking is kind of moot now though; C++ = free, DBP = $$$ . Thanks for the feedback though
Erusuwasu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 10:18 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2003 10:25
I didn't want you to get the wrong impression or make you feel unwelcome on the forum. I just wanted to let you know to take it easy.

DARKBASIC Classic is a powerful tool, and it may actually have the capability to do particles, however, I don't really know that for sure. That's why I said you might have better luck in one of the other sections.

Good luck

I've got DBClassic and Photoshop Skillz and I'm not afraid to use um!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2003 00:16
Pro does have particles. A demo of particles comes with pro..,,

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
We need a texture artist!
If your interested email me - Johnrocs@aol.com
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 13:09 Edited at: 4th Oct 2003 13:12
functions to create your 3d particles(planes), update their positions, and reset the variables.(called when a particle dies)

Each function handles 1 particle at a time, so its up to you to create the loops.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2003 21:50
Since this is in the 2D section, I think he is asking about sprites, not 3D.

Do you mean, how are sprites handled in DBPro?

Well, you'd need to make as many sprites as you have particles, you can't have one sprite jumping around the screen, unless you want it to be very flickery. You would make an array for the particle data as you said, probably a type, like...

Then you would assign initial values to the particles.

In the loop you would edit the data each loop, and then position the sprites for the particles like so...

You can do some other stuff to sprites, here is a complete list from the help files...

Dl the demo and see .

Brains are for idiots.

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 16:19:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 16:19:52