Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] Squadron AIU - Dark Storm - Full Game

Author
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 20:17 Edited at: 16th Jan 2011 20:19
@KeithC

Good question. I had tried to get some of the gaming sites like Gamersgate which do sell indie games to release it, but I have had no luck getting replies from anyone. So I thought if I can't sell it , I may as well give it away for free.

I have worked really hard on this project and I'm really proud of how it looks, but I would prefer people to play it than it set on my Hard Drive doing nothing.

Plus it has done really well on Indie DB with 83 downloads in the last 24 hours.

This is the first in a series of games so I am planning the next one which is going to be allot more ambitious. I have started the background document and hopefully will have most of the concept artwork completed soon.

So watch this space as the saying goes.

DC

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 20:23
I'll give this a spin later on

I reject your stereotype of Wisconsin and, in fact, live in a city.
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 23:41
Well I cant seem to run Dig site alpha... I get an error or it gets stuck when loading... been about 12 minutes and same spot but its not locked up. I will do a review for this game later.

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 23:52
Quote: "Well I cant seem to run Dig site alpha... I get an error or it gets stuck when loading... been about 12 minutes and same spot but its not locked up. I will do a review for this game later."

Go to the Setup.ini and type in anywhere underneith something

Systemmemorycapoff=1 that will do it.

Putting fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 23:59
@Gorlocks suggestions

What is the error message that you do get?

Are you able to play the mission at all?

What level is it and does it happen if your attacking a bad guy?

Please let me know I would really like to make sure that it is working 100% or as close to it as I can get.

DC

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 02:17
I've got a bug. In the configuration for New Berlin Docks (I haven't tried the other levels), changing the use key just changes the forward key. I was changing the lean keys to Q and E and the use to F, but when I changed the use key, it changed the forward to F.

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 03:32
@le shorte

Thanks for that, that is a very strange bug. It is the launch tool that I'm using which is Gamestarter 2.3, but never thought to test it. At the moment there is no fix for this, but I think the next project I will not use it and make a custom one. The only way I could see fixing it is to open the setup.ini and changing it that way, but it would require you to know what the key number is.

DC

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 04:33 Edited at: 17th Jan 2011 04:40
@ deathcow

It happens on the very first level when the level is loading. It just gets stuck.

Edit: the error is "error: "ERROR" is not a valid key name"
it seems to go away when I mess with the settings.

I did put "Systemmemorycapoff=1" in and it does get past that point but the when the level starts it sais "FPSC game has stopped working"

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 05:11
srry for double posting but I got it working and here is my review!

Story: 8/10

Game play: 2/10

Graphics: 7/10

Environment: 9/10

As said before that it is an FPSC game and nothing mind blowing really. The environment was excellent though!

The thing that ruined this game was the AI. They would aim bot and do so much damage. I mean there are in some rags and you are in a suit of armor. They practically kill you when you fight them. I know that you had the characters spawn at certain points so there would be no lag. It was kind of obvious that they would spawn because they weren't always hidden (ie they would spawn right in front of you. No iron sights which was a bummer.

Final tip: The game is good but really work on the AI!

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 14:08
@Gorlocks suggestions

Thanks for the review I am glad you took the time to give an honest review. I had planned to have the iron sights enabled, but they messed up if you right click to pick up objects. So I decided that it had to be disabled. I agree with the AI was not what I had wanted, but I had tried the new darkai scripts. The next game I will have to learn a good bit more scripting to take advantage of darkai.

DC

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 16:37
Sorry if it says earlier in this thread, but are the missions supposed to be played in any particular order?
And also: What is the average loading time for New Berlin Docks?

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 17:11
@le shorte

You don't have to, but I had placed them in order for the storyline. However no one has noticed that the second mission is not connected to the main storyline. Well if you count the in game posters.

The new Berlin Docks can take abit longer than the other two missions. There is alot more detail in that game.

DC

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 18:03
The reason I didn't notcie was because I couldn't pass the first one. I got so far and lost all my lives . But np on the review! Keep up good looking games!

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 15:06
I have updated the main post to include the reviews of users.

DC

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 11:21 Edited at: 19th Jan 2011 11:22
Interesting.

Thanks for the free release!

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2011 01:35 Edited at: 27th Jan 2011 01:36
@D0MINIK

NP I hope you have enjoyed the game.

Working on the next game now. I have a screenshot of the main lunch screen if anyone is interested in knowing. I will be creating a new WIP thread shortly.

You may notice sample is spelt wrong. Just in case anyone wishes to point it out.

DC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2011 01:55
looking great! Hopefully you can get the AI right! I just hate aimbots!!

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2011 02:04
@Gorlocks suggestions

Hopefully. Lee has stated that he has fixed a bug in the DarkAI, which will help in someway. This game is going to be onboard a starship so it will hopefully be all CQB.

DC

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2011 17:06
@Deathcow: I sent you an email concerning an issue I had with your game.

-Keith

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 19:35
Thanks KeithC

Heads up everyone it appears that some anti-malware software is detecting three files in the full game as malware. The files are named squadron1.exe, squadron2.exe and squadron3.exe and they are used to start the games.

They are false positives and are not Malware.

The three files are in fact batch files converted using a program called "bat to exe convertor" from http://www.f2ko.de/programs.php?lang=en&pid=b2e.

I use spybot to check for spyware and malware and it has not detected anything.

DC

i see dead people
Years of Service
User Offline
i have only played a bit and so far i think its great, well done sir
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 19:45
@i see dead people

Thanks for playing I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm looking at doing a major rework now that 118 is coming close to being finished. Watch this space.

DC

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2011 18:46
gozzy1999
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 21:30
omg amazing please kepp posting more games cuz im addicted to this like i am addicted to crack

Andrew gosling
Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Elite: Dangerous
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 23:09 Edited at: 17th Oct 2011 23:10
Deathcow, this game is amazing! This game absolutely beats the tar out of Virus 2! As an FPSC game, this thing just screams professional, I love it!

Now for a long over-due review:

WARNING!!! This review is a game spoiler, DO NOT read if you want the game to remain a surprise!

Design: 8/10

Technical Design
- The installer up front was very impressive. Even more impressive was that it had an uninstall option!
- The launchers which allowed you to unite three separate games with continuing story lines into one mega game was just stunning to me. Did you write the launcher yourself or use a template? What language did you use?
- The menu pages were rather plain. I didn't really care for the drawing of the AIU Trooper; it would have been better if you had taken a screen shot of your best looking location of the game in question (with no enemies in the picture or any other evidence of attack), and have in large lettering the name of the location. For example, in New Berlin Docks, you could take your best screenshot of the spaceport - maybe the outside area or the Customs Service and Passport area - and have in large lettering across the top left corner "New Berlin Docks". These are just ideas to dress up the actual game menu pages; I can see you tried doing some of this through the launcher application, but used videos instead (which is good).
- I like how you have the win/lose pages the same. The only problem I have is that it makes it feel like a demo, although it does still fit the whole game nicely. I think it wouldv'e been better, though, if you made the win game screen different from the others and maybe perhaps institute a password system (if possible) which would keep the player from jumping ahead in the story like I did...

Level Design
- The atmosphere is incredible. New Berlin Docks really does look like a civilian space port with schedules, plants, customs and passport area, and billboards! Dig Site Alpha was also great with containers, boxes, wires, storage tanks, and all that good stuff.
- Lighting was very good; the colors fit the overall feel of the game. I did think it odd how there were lights without light sources, but it is not a major issue.
- The custom segments, including the arched wire corridors and excavation tunnels were incredible. Did you use Morphtactic's hive pack?

Game Play: 5/10
- The games ran at about 15 FPS on my computer, which typically is bad. However, you had so much eye-candy that the player forgot the game was going a bit slow! Also, the framerate was consistent, (a huge accomplishment) which kept it from feeling slow all the time.
- Enemy fights were a tad boring in some levels, and in Dig Site Alpha, they were placed so well that I was continually dieing, and lost right at the end! I was terrified in that game. Dig Site Alpha was a little too difficult, I suggest that you not have enemies spawn behind the player so many times. Although, it was kind of fun being on my toes all the time!
- I got totally stuck in New Berlin Docks, I think in level 3. I would jump down the gantries, and I would go through the long hallway, go into the computer room that has the windows facing a sort of office, and that is where I got stuck. I had no clue what to do. I tried stacking boxes to get into the vent several times, which finally worked, but that area did not seem to serve any purpose other than to torure the player with stacking a ton of boxes just to get back upstairs and onto the other side of the blocked gantries. I eventually just jumped onto the gantry railing, jumped up onto the box barricade, and jumped over and onto the other side. Not easily done, but it was worth it that much to me to get to the other side without stacking boxes.
- I could not pick up one of the guns in New Berlin Docks.
- I am not a big fan of Zombies, but Russian Science was AWESOME! The enemy placement was what really scared in the game; you check a wide open area and find it all clear, then you wander into it and there was a zombie behind you! Great idea giving them a lot of health, it made for some crazy game play!
- The weapons really should have at least looked more sci-fi. I was greatful for the sniper rifle, but when I picked it up I thought, THIS is in this game? It would have been better if it didn't look so... "old fashioned."
- I was really mad that I couldn't pick up the G36 from one of the Cultists when I was HOLDING a G36.

Audio: 7/10
- Music was very good. had a kind of disaster/crisis feeling without going all the way into an apolcalyptic nightmare tone.
- Music did get a little monotanous at times.
- You could tell where a sound zone started and stopped when moving around through the levels, but that isn't your fault; I am not aware of a way to fix that.
- No custom weapon sound effects.

Story: 5/10
- I thought the conversations were clever, but it was annoying how it took awhile for the conversations to fade out before it showed you the next message. I would suggest use the FPI command "hudunshow." I've seen it used; very quick and simple.
- I liked the notes and how they carried the player through the story.
- I feel like I was missing something in Dig Site Alpha. When in one of the conversations the player is given the option to say, "You know the Cultits worship the Sulin, right?" my first thought was, They do?. I have looked through the gamecore files in New Berlin Docks and found the paper messages, and still cannot find a few of them. To setup the story better, put the sheets where the player must go, that way, he is more likely to find them.
- I really wished there had been some audio conversations/voices.
- Why are there top secret Russian Science sheets in plain sight everywhere? Does Russian Science handle everything to do with official Union business?

OVERALL AVERAGE: 6/10

This game was fantastic and almost unbelieveable for FPSC; well planned, and a job well done!

Captain Coder

One of the most humbling days in your life will be the day you discover you AREN'T the best at what you love to do.
- Me
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 01:20
Thanks Captain Coder for the great review and thank you for taking the time to write it. It is nice hear that someone enjoyed the game. This is in fact a side project for the Squadron AIU role-play book that I was writting. I kind of took some time out to make a PC game based around it. So hopefully once I have the book published I'll get sometime to remake this game and finish the next game.

Again Thanks Captain Coder for the review

DC

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 11:29
Hey dude, I am currently making a developer/publsher website, would you like your game be published on my site? Free, no charge, I will also put this in the free games section. If yes, drop me an email, rwsbgames@gmail.com

work in progress

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:57:10
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:57:10