Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP]+[CL NUI Platform SDK] XBOX 360 Kinect on Dark Basic Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 07:26
Hello all

Its been a while since I posted here, but I would like to share with you a little project I'm working on. After reading about Code Laboratories who managed to create a windows driver and SDK for the XBOX Kinect, I went out and bought one, I don't even own a XBOX. After downloading their driver and installed it, I wrote this demo program.

Requirements:
Computer with USB
Kinect with power supply cable (comes with it)
CL NUI Platform SDK can be downloaded here http://codelaboratories.com/nui/
Windows (I have XP) dunno if the driver will work on vista or windows 7
.NET 3.5 download this from Microsoft (the SDK demo program requires it, but my code may not)
Dark Basic Pro

After you download and install SDK and driver. Run the demo program in the SDK to make sure your setup is good. I didn't have any luck until I installed .NET 3.5. I'm not actually sure if you need it with my code, but the demo requires it.

Make sure "CLNUIDevice.dll" is in your project directory!!
It can be found in "\Program Files\Code Laboratories\CL NUI Platform\SDK\Bin"

Caveats:
The driver is still very beta. Do the wrong thing and it will crash. Sometimes crash and reboot. I can't count how many times I've got an auto reboot while debugging my demo. You have been warned!

Do not end your program without stopping the camera i.e. StopNUICamera and destroying the handles i.e. DestroyNUICamera, DestroyNUIMotor. Or else it may crash.

Thoughts:
This thing is packed with sensors accelerometers, four microphones, tilt sensors?, 3d imaging, and a camera. Its a bit of an overkill for simple gaming. It seems to be built for robotics in mind.
It has a motorized tilt in the base. While running my program pick up the Kinect and tilt it. The motor will try like mad to compensate for the tilt. Kinda cool.
For $150 its a bargain for whats in it.

Here's the demo code
[b][/b][b]
WizardP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 00:38
Thanks for the link and code snippet.
Got the Kinect working, now for some fun...[img]null[/img]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Twilight zone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 09:41
I'm glad I could help. Keep posting screen shots.
Twilight zone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 12:00 Edited at: 29th Jan 2011 12:04
Wow. I hate replying to a reply, but I feel I must ask the community is there any interest in this project? I know, not many of you guys have the Kinect, but those that do, do you have any suggestions for my code to make it more usable and easier to use?

If there is no interest in this project, I will allow it to die and make no more mention about it.
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 18:08
I find this project very interesting, please continue with it (I'll pick up a Kinect very soon)
hackinc 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2011 03:57
I'm trying to make an DB Plug in for it! But It has been impossible cause I don't know C++ At All! And Whit .NET C# Well its not working very well!

I see you are using CL NUI Platform! That one is good BUT Try Using Open NI, and Prime Sense NITE! They are very Stable drivers, and work very well! Maybe we can create a Open Source Plug In for DBP in the near future. Ill be Playing whit these two API's again when I finish working some other Stuff from my real JOB!

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2011 19:29
I dont have a kinect yet, but I intend to get one specifically for use with DBPro (thanks to the work you have done). I hope you continue to work on this!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:22:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:22:42