Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / (Physics) Problem with rigid body static mesh- please help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 02:15
I've been trying to use a static mesh for my game's map, and a capsule character controller for my character, but I've encountered a problem.
While there is collision between the cc and the mesh, when the cc is touching any part of the mesh that is lower than it's highest point, it cannot rotate.
e.g.
a.
/\
/ \
/ \ /\
/ \ b. / \
---------/ \

at point a. the cc can rotate and move as usual, but at point b. , it can still move but not rotate.

the mesh is made from a .x file, and all the parameters are filled out. I will post additional information if needed.

Can anyone help me, this is vital to my program.
Thanks
Miscreant Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 08:29
sorry, that's not very clear; the picture didn't work out.
imagine a box surrounding a mountain with the top in line with the mountain's summitt. Point a. is at the summitt, and point b. is at the base.

Does that clear things up?
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 15:40 Edited at: 5th Dec 2010 15:42
change the skin width on the character controller object should let you get more control.

use this command

phy set skin width value#

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Miscreant Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 08:42
I tried what you suggested, but there was no change. What is this command actually supposed to do; the help file is not very specific?
Thanks anyway,
Miscreant Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 08:59
I tried what you suggested, but nothing changed. What is this command actually supposed to do; the help file isn't specific?

Also, I noticed that in the debugger, the terrain(the one that doesn't allow the ccs to rotate) is drawn in a creamy pink colour, not the usual cream that all the other physics objects are. Does anyone know if this is significant and if so, what it means?

Thanks anyway,
BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 20:58
How about zipping up an example we can try to see what is going on,
include source objects, etc. ready to compile.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:57:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:57:23