Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [DBP] Land Of The Dead

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 14:14 Edited at: 5th Dec 2010 18:15
So heres a little game i've been working on over the last week. It's basically a zombie FPS. Heres how it goes:

You were a soldier on your way out to Africa. But whilst you were being flown in, your transport plane blew up and crashed in the middle of the Sahara, killing everyone on board apart from you. You think yourself lucky, until you realise you've crashed into THE LAND OF THE DEAD! Fortunately, you've managed to cling on to your sniper rifle, but how long will you survive?

It looks best in 1280x1024, but if your screen can't handle that it'll set itself to 1024x768.

Any sujestions for improvement welcome.

(and yes i realise land of the dead is'nt a very original name, but i was stuck for ideas )

There is no such thing as "Too Fast!"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
And heres a screen shot.

Attachments

TheConnorian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 14:55
Looks good, crashed aircraft reminds me of nazi zombies, good luck with your progress.
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
yer, it is vaugely based on nazi zombies, however having never played it my self, im not that sure how similar it is..

Have another screeny.

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 16:46
Cant run this, get the loading screen and lots if 'object not found' messages.
Are you sure you have used relative paths when loading your media as one message gave a path that seemed to be a path from your computer?

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 17:13 Edited at: 5th Dec 2010 17:22
nope, no set directories... it requires the media folder to be in the same folder as it is, but otherwise it should work

EDIT: ah.. i see where the problem is, left a set directory in by mistake. i'll upload the fixed vertion now.

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 17:33 Edited at: 5th Dec 2010 21:36
and now the forum isn't letting me post... hang on...

EDIT: Ok bug is fixed now. Update vertion added at top.

EDIT: Ok, so since so many people seem to be having dificulty with there computors compatibility, i have made a safe vertion. All iv'e really done is remove dark physics from it (all it was doing is adding smoke) and adding more display settings. if your computer is properly compatible then you shouldnt notice, but it may reduce the quality depending on your screen's compatibility.

Attachments

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 21:38 Edited at: 5th Dec 2010 21:45
Yeah works great, this is awesome by the way.
But how do I reload? It should maybe do this automatically when your clip runs out.
Great game.

EDIT: R - reload
read the instructions

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm glad someone finally got it to work, proves its the computers not the game at fault!

Yer reading the instructions... i have to say i rarely do and endup doing similarly stupid things

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 02:33 Edited at: 6th Dec 2010 02:34
safe version works fine here (specs in sig).

i will say it's a little boring but i quickly found a "game within the game" that added to the fun:

i'm not sure if you intended this but you can line up multiple zombies and take them out with the same shot(s). ie, the standard expectation, "one shot. one kill" is no longer good enough! (i was able to line up 4, taking 2 out at a time with minimal ammo spent).

since this was posted in the PA board, i expect you don't intend to add much more to the game. alas, with a little nudging, you can turn the "multi-kill" aspect into a fun-point by adding a scoring system (or choosable mode) where, say, if 2 zombies are killed with the same shot, you get 3 points for the 2, instead of 1 for 1. maybe 3 zombies = 6 pts and 4 = 10? you get the idea... (you'd probably want to spawn a lot less ammo to make it more challenging, too).

anyway, not a bad little game. works well enough.

thanks for sharing

ps: is it just me or do groin shots tend to be kill shots vs the expected head shots? what kinda zombies are these, anyway?

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Yer, i agree, it does get a little boring, especially having played it for the millionth time . I was more focusing on the looks of the game rather than the actual game play, and it does seem to have suffered slightly.

I do intend to mod it... i don't have any other projects running atm so i'm open to any sujestions to improve this. I would post it in the WIP board, but it is kinda finished in a way, as it is mainly just bug fixes left...

The only reason it has the multi kill function is because i had to use a maths collision for the gun (which is why groin shots seem more powerful, but if i raised it more you could shoot the air above their heads and they would die ). I wanted to use sparky's raycasting for it, but for some reason it just wouldnt work. it's been fine on other objects but this is the second time i've tried it on these zombies and it just doesnt seem to work. I would use dark physics, but that doesnt seem to do polygon collisions, and im not very proficient with dark physics yet... but the original plan was to have blood splats where you shoot them and possibly take of body parts, but the maths collision is kinda limiting, so any help with the collision wud be gud..

hmm, the multi kill thing does sound quite cool, i'll look into it when i have a bit of spare time (A Levels etc. )

Well thanks for the feedback so far, glad it works for people

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 20:11
The multi-kill thing is a good idea.
Also, before I found the run key the game seemed a bit more tense and interesting. You had to keep looking around you and be more aware, I would make him an injured soldier and remove the run if it was my game.

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, sounds like a plan. Anything else?

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 21:36
Ok, I've had a go at this too. It's quite good so far.
I think Sparky's Collision would be the perfect solution for the shooting, I could give some help there.

A few things that could be improved:
- Running up steep hills has to slow the player/zombies down
- I would make the plane wreck into some kind of base. Like put a character there that has to be protected, and smoke coming from the plane for the players orientation while he is out collecting ammo. I allways like this base/bunker feeling in such games.
- A melee attack to use when out of ammo

Keep up the good work!

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
sounds kinda awesome! i'll deffinately look into that! i had always planned for the hills thing, but for some reason never got round to it... and yer, help with sparkey's would be appreciated...

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey man, I like the game!

there were a couple things that could be improved:

When you try to turn the mouse fast, it bounces your view around to the other direction, I found this quite irritating as it's already so slow to look. For a first person shooter I wouldn't have the view so lethargic, as it is more irritating than challenging.

Overall the game was just too slow for me, good FramesFS but the zombies walk animation was too slow, and walking was too slow. It feels extremely daunting to be on a huge terrain like that and only be able to move slowly, you don't have any zombies up close and personal so it's a challenge just to have the motivation to move around the map in the first place, I would make it faster, but have alot more zombies. Speed=Fun.

Also add some different things like buildings and such to give some variation on the terrain, it's not much to look at right now.

I was able to play for quite awhile without getting hit once, because it basically turns into a sniping game, it's not much fun to never have any challenge thrown at you IMO. I would make the gun so inaccurate that from a long distance you cannot hit them, so it makes you move closer to them so it gives the computer a fair shot at hitting you.

Also some nice creepy music, and a darker atmosphere would be nice, figure out how to do fog and make it night time, so it seems much creepier and you dont have such a good range of sight. Make it so you can only see 5 feet in front of you, that way you will never know whats coming and every zombie is a surprise.

I honestly would make this into a 3rd person shooter IMO, this type of view you have going on is more suitable for a flight sim.

I would also have zombies that can run really fast at you, making it so you have to be really quick on the draw to shoot them.

Like I said, good effort, but IMO this should be in the WIP section because I doubt anyone played more than like 5 minutes, it's not fast enough to be addicting, but doesn't have a good enough story or any suspense to keep you playing through the slowness.

This is the basics of the game IMO, now time to refine it and make it fun.

Just my opinion, as with anything I say, take the meat and spit out the bones lol.

Good job overall!!!
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 20:01 Edited at: 8th Dec 2010 19:04
Sounds good. Yer, i think your right, speed is what it lacks. I'll sort that. And having them run at you's a good idea too.

I can probably sort out the screen bounce (or at least reduce it).

Scenery, yer, i could throw some really big boulders and extra vegitation in there too spice it up a bit... not so sure about building's etc. don't have any decent ones in my media stores, but i'll certainly add something.

i would like to make it 3rd person, but once again, i don't have any models that suit the job, and i'm no good at modeling myself. i will try and improve the first person view though, mabey add a gun model idk...

If you play in hard in night mode, it does make the game quite challenging if you havent already tried it.

Any updates to the game will have to wait until atleast tommorow afternoon, if not the weekend, as i am kinda drowning in Coursework atm. But once thats done i can get back to the more important things

EDIT: ok, i've done a few mods, i've sorted the screen bounce, and sped it up a fair bit. I've also changed weapons to an AK-47 just because it is very statisfying to mow down zombies!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 19:22 Edited at: 17th Dec 2010 19:24
Works fine. Pretty cool. Nice landscape, noises. Mechanics work. Played version in first post.

Framerate was quite low. 20fps (best) when looking at the sky, 11fps (worst) when in corner looking at whole map. I think you can improve the framerate by using mipmapping or anisotropic filtering, plus it will look better with less flickeryness in the distance. Here's a dll for that : http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=159383&b=5

The gameplay would be MUCH better if you could headshot the zombies: Instant kill, explosing head. You'd only need a modified headless zombie model, and for collision detection, you can have an invisible zombie head model (or just a sphere) and do collision detection with that. Add in a burst of blood and you're set.

Another cool thing would be to have the bullet travel at finite speed - so if you shot at something in the distance it would take a second or two for the bullet to get there. Add in a speed of sound delay for hearing the zombie's head go "pop" and that would be super awesome.

I found the speed of scope zoom to be a bit low, and the direction (which way you roll the wheel to zoom in/out) to be counterintuitive. The scope could be a little less pixellated and more graduated too.

Anyway what you have so far is good. I look forward to seeing what it becomes.
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
frame rate, really? I get 30fps minimum on hard, and up to 60fps on easy... and i want to do the head shot thing but can't get sparkys to work on these models..

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 03:45
If you're using a "maths collision" currently - then I guess you could do an extra collision check of this sort (i guess you're using a box or sphere) for the head, in addition to the one you're using for the body.

I haven't got a huge amount of experience using sparky collision. I think it may have problems with animated objects, but I may be talking out of my bottom. You could also try the standard DBP command "intersect object".
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 15:09
nah sparkys will handle an animated obejct , but it will create a box around the object as it is posed in frame 0 of animation. use a sphere collision check as opposed to a ray though.

Sleep is over-rated.
AmbulanceGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 20:00
Ran great for me, looked good, I actually enjoyed it. Not bad.
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 00:33 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 00:35
Ok, so i havnt really done much in the way of updateing it yet, so this is vertion 1.5. I've added AK-47, made the player run permanantly without the shift key, and made the hard level a tad harder. Also got a new intro vid.

Basically, i just enjoy machine gunning zombies... something very satisfying about it...

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:35:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:35:00