Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Licensing music

Author
User Banned
Posted: 9th Dec 2010 04:22
I'm brainstorming ideas for the audio side of a game. I wonder, what's it usually cost to license a song for use in your own game? I remember reading that when Jonathon Blow was designing Braid he opted to license music so as to reduce development costs... so is licensing actually cheaper than having original music composed? I know all this is obviously relative, but in general what can you expect to realistically pay to use a known band's song in a game?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 10:47
Quote: "... so is licensing actually cheaper than having original music composed?"

Well, in most cases it would obviously be.
Consider the composer; he has made a song. Now he can sell it to one person exclusively, or (try to) license it to several people. Naturally, the license fee would be smaller since the song can then be "re-sold" to multiple end-users. With ordering a original song the composer would get no further payouts for it and thus the price would have to be large enough to reflect that.

yuanyelss
Years of Service
User Offline
With ordering a original song the composer would get no further payouts for it and thus the price would have to be large enough to reflect that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:30:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:30:53