Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [b]My DB [i]wont[/i] install :([/b]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was so happy when i got DBP but i get this message when i want to run the setup.

a debugger has been detected
Unload the debugger and try again

What does this mean!

Ok i suppose i better say the specs of my machine

its a AMD 1700 XP+
768Mb RAM
64Mb Geforce
WinXP Pro

I got visual studio 6 installed if that might causing the problem.
I disabled Norton AntiVirus
NEone have this problem.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2002 23:11
DBPro thinks that you have got a program such as SoftICE, TurboDEBUGGER etc. loaded, programs which can be used to hack software and reverse-engineer it. I notice on my Visual Studio machine (Not my DBPro machine) that when an application crashes, I get a button labelled "Debug" on the illegal error screen. I guess that Visual Studio must mean that a debugger is running in the background. I think that Visual Studio is causing the problem. Try uninstalling it, hope that helps.

dR DemoMan
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks i'll do that
im not too keen to uninstall it so if anyone knows how to disable the turbo debugger then pls post

thanks again thundermonkey

dR DemoMan

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2002 03:46
Actually I think the problem here doesn't lie with DBPro (because, afterall, it hasn't actually got as far as installing it yet) but rather with the installation program checks. There is probably an option to disable this, I've sent a message to the rest of the DB team so hopefully will get a response for you shortly.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Lee Bamber
Years of Service
User Offline
There will be something running in the background that InstallShield is detecting. A fresh install of any OS 98 and above will not find a debugger running. It may very will be a silent task running in the background (or a virus). Check your system for any startup applications, do a virus sweep and finally CTRL+ALT+DEL to see if you can spot any subversive programs running.

crawlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2002 20:08
Try ending the MDM.exe task. I believe this is the Microsoft Development Manager (or something like that) and that controls the Visual Studio Debugger

P4 1.6GHz - 256Mb DDR RAM - GeForce 2 MX400 - SoundMAX Integrated Sound - Windows XP Home
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2002 20:12
I don't think it'll be mdm - that's the machine debug manager. Yes it's part of developer studio but more importantly if you have script debugging in Internet Explorer enabled them mdm.exe will start every time you start IE.

Cheers,

Rich

dR DemoMan
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm i tried uninstalling Visual Studio and looked at my task manager. Which tasks are important. I dont think i have a virus because i have Norton Antivirus upadated frequently with scans every week. I ended mdm.exe and no change.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2002 12:09
It might not be a virus (although just because Norton is installed it doesn't mean it isn't!) there could be another application causing this that perhaps is perfectly "innocent". What do you have running in your system tray? InstallShield is used by hundreds of packages so they may even have a report on this on their own web site.

Cheers,

Rich

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2002 17:53
I would just Ctrl+Alt+Del everything but SysTray (the helpful thing that keeps your computer alive) and Explorer (which lets you nice things like clicking with a mouse), one by one, and see if the InstallShield works then. When it finally does, you'll know the culprit .

--Mouse

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:09:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:09:21