Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Using BSP maps generated by Hammer/Worldcraft

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 13:40
I've used the current version of Worldcraft to create BSP maps. These appear to load fine within Half-Life but when I load them into DBPro (using the FPS tutorial as an example) then nothing appears.

I assumed that this was because the camera was in the incorrect position but collision definately occurs whenever I hit a wall within the map

I've tested this out with a simple room with one texture and an associated WAD with that texture in it. No joy

Has anyone managed to get this to work and if so could they let us know the steps they went through
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 20:40
It's most likely the camera is position outside the map as you say. Put some code in to move the camera around until you find the map and note the position. Maybe there's a better way though.
Pheeel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2002 21:14
I'm 100% sure that the camera isn't outside the map. If I print the camera positons (x,y and z values) out then I can see the values stop when I hit the edges of the room.

It's definately because the textures aren't appearing.

Has anyone else managed to get a map compiled in hammer working with DBPro?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 03:01
I've not used Hammer, however I have used Worldcraft 3.x and had the world working (bar my own texture wad, but i compiled it wrong) and it worked well, althought there was no Collision - didn't setup the collision so

I believe the compilers for both are almost identical (if not the same) ... so it does seem quite weird

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 06:10
When you load BSP maps, the are REALLY REALLY Small. There's not really any reason for this but thats what happens.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
The Lemac
Years of Service
User Offline
I use Valve Hammer and it does work. I've created a couple of maps that run, and I think I've got it mostly figured out....

Some things to remember:

You must put lights in your map. LOTS of them - if you rely on the default lighting that QRAD puts into a map with no lights you will have a pitch black map. This sounds like what is happening.

Make sure you have NO leaks.

Keep it small and simple to start. TRUST ME on that...

Run QRAD or your textures will appear all rainbowed.

Turn on some white fog. That will help you see the walls in the dark. You can always remove it after your testing.

Finally, if Valve Hammer reports ANY errors, find 'em and fix 'em. Half life might be able to get past them but your DBPro creation will not.

Hope that helps. Good luck and just be patient with it. It took me a good week to figure it out.

The Lemac

"Just wut the Sam Hill is a dadgummed leemack anyhoo?"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 06:24
lol... hmm thats so simple
why didn't i think of it?
ho well, i do have some small advice here that is probably quite profound and well something you should think about quite well

Test in Half-Life first... if it does the same in that then your the one who's messed up rather than dbpro

don't even need full Half-Life the demo will do

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
The Lemac
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, one more thing I forgot...

You can't use any of the funky light types in Hammer - only the plain old light type will work. At least that's what I've had success with. Your results may vary.

Hope that helps.

The Lemac

"Just wut the Sam Hill is a dadgummed leemack anyhoo?"
Pheeel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 13:21
Right. Thanks for the info. I'm sure I tested with lights but probably the funky ones. I'll try with a simple light and see if it works for me

BTW I compiled using Zoner's compiler
BTW 2 It definately works in HL
Pheeel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 14:10
So I followed the tips above and still didn't seem to work. Man this is getting annoying

I've uploaded the RMF, MAP, WAD, BSP and DBA file to the following site:
http://groups.msn.com/DarkbasicPro/Documents/rak.zip

I'd be grateful if someone else could try this out and see if the BSP loads. Also if someone could load up the RMF within Hammer and compile it themselves and see if it loads then that would be peachy
CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 21:31
i aint got no NET login username/passwd.....cant download

United We (Still) Stand
Pheeel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 23:26
A hotmail account should work if you have one
Pheeel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 13:57
I've uploaded it to geocities so no need for a Passport account. Please can someone who's got their maps working in DBPro produced in Hammer have a go at this for me?

http://www.geocities.com/pheeel1975/rak.zip
Pheeel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 13:06
Please...?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:40:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:40:29