Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The Great War-WW I

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 04:45 Edited at: 28th Dec 2010 05:07
The great war or World War I was started by the assasination of the Arch Duke of Austria-Hungry. A investigation was ordered by Goverment of France and other countries neiboring the country. The Boshavicts put off the investigation claiming they had allready investigated the murder.

The murder was a plot devised by the Black Hand, a secret military group formed by the Bulshavicts after the reconstruction of Austria Hungreys goverment reform. Because the investigation failed to suit the needs of the neighboring countries, they threated to bring war to the country to reconstruct the goverment as they seen fit.

As apart of a previous pact Germany was bound to help the Bulshavicts in times of war. When the French of other countries attacked, German quickly stepped in to help the Bulshavicts in battle.

The main reason why it became a trench war was because when the French and the Germans encountered each other. They both begain to dig in because they were at a stale mate. Both ordered for reenforcements. When re-enforcements arrived, they too dug in. This digging in process occured for a long period of time until both sides were completely dug in and at a complete stale mate.

The instroduced a few new weapons as well as warfare that was later ban from war because it was to dangerous for both sides. An example would be the ban on use of gas. Gas was often use during the war but the problem was if the wind blew the wrong direction. The gas would return to your side, killing your men instead of theirs which it was intended for. They also agreed at the end of the war that gas was simply to dangerous. Deeming it a un-gentalmen like form of warfare.

Other new techonlogies that would carry on would be the invention of the machine gun. Which would later be transformed into a assult rifle in later wars. Another new invention was the air plane. Mostly used for observations durning this war. Primarly for watching movements of troops etc. It would not be until World War 2 were the air plane would really take off in battle.

This game was created to deminstrate the horror the men of World War I endured. Life expectency was 11 seconds or shorter. The trench was literly your personal tomb and gateway to hell. The most common cause of death next to gunshot was infections. Lice amoung one of the leading infections. In order to keep infection low, dogs now named "rattier" were used to kill mice and keep the trenchs clear of infected rats.

The Trenchs were also confusing to navigate through. Men would often find there self getting lost in the giant maze that was the Trench. Also men would get lost in the land called "No Mans Land". An often find their self inside the oppsing forces trench.

This is a breif history of the war. Please feel free to google it for more information.

Notes:
Only one lightmap was created for this map. I created a Sun lightmap about 19 tiles above ground. This is to simulate the fact that eletricity was not used hardly in the Trenchs. Water would often cause more problems then what eletricity was worth. Also having oil lamps would attract atrillery fire. Very little light was used, so they relied mostly on daylight.

Trench Outline:

This is the model I used to make the full scale trench map. If you will also notice this is the loading screen for the game. Both Trenchs Allies and axis our designed after this model.

IF you would like to play the game for free, please DL from the link. Please feel free to share this version with your friends as well. Give the gift of history to your friends and family and enjoy reinacting the history of World War I.

This Game:
This game references strong violence. I recomend it be rated T for teen. This game also uses the power of Project Blue and is a team based map 7 v 7. Enjoy

Download:
http://www.uokgames.com/downloads/WWI-The Great War.rar
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 04:54
One complaint: airplanes were used for warfare more coomonly than you think. There was a weapon, I forget what it was called (oops) wich consisted of about 1,000 little spikes. The plane would position itself over the enemy trench and let these spikes loose, causing often hundreds of casualties. These were also banned after the war but countries were found using very similar weapons in ww2.
old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Keep in mind airplanes were not used for fighting till toward the end. They had to solve the perplier issue which was not solved until 1916 or 1917 i belive
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 05:04
That is true. But once those planes got going they were often used for dropping several types of munitions. The one I said is just one of many. Actually, hot air balloons and even blimps were also sort of common for observation as well. Just a random fact But it is very nice to see the great war getting some attention instead of ww2!
old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 05:10 Edited at: 28th Dec 2010 05:13
Yeah I got tired of WWII crap. No one really focuses on the reason why WWII occured. Those wondering Hilter blamed the French and others for the Great Depression that occured after WWI. In 1936 he rose to power as Germany's Chansler. Time Magazine named him man of the year because he brought Germany out of the Depression. They did not know though he brought them out of out because he was moblizing Germany's Military with mass production of arms.

Edit:::::::::::

how do I enter this into the The Very Best of the Best [VBOTB]. Alot of thought went into its creation. Just wanted to see it on their to see if it gets any votes lol
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 05:48
No offence, but nobody is going to want to play this, much less vote for it as VBOTB compared to Alpha Project and Euthanasia. There is no lighting, it looks like mostly stock media and the design hardly has any variation.
old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Giant lightbulb about 19 levels up to simulate a sun. I recomend u try the game out before u post. Plus its for histroical reference. It wasn't made to be another pointless zombie game. It was created to show the importance of World War I and demestrate a full scale model of a trench. BTW No offense taken, some just don't understand history and it's importance.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 06:38
Historical accuracy eh? Well here's some tips on how to improve your "historical accuracy"...

1: Trenches were generally not perfectly shaped square like that. People were usually too busy getting shot or shooting people to bother having the edges of their trenches perfectly square.
2: As far as I can remember the battlefield was not bordered by a big, perfectly cut stone wall. Otherwise there would be no need for trenches.
3: It's Bolshevik, not "Bulshavicts".
4: I can't see any other weapon than the MAS36 being used, and it is a French rifle. Unless the Germans somehow stole France's weapons, the only explanation I can think of is that some of the French are fighting against themselves.

As for the lighting, you've placed the light too high above, and so it's not lighting anything. And there is a line where too much realism can break your game. You've crossed it by a few hundred meters and as such your game looks more broken than a stick.

Frankly my dear, you're acting like a spoilt brat who's bragging about their 7th year history class. Learn some manners and learn to take some constructive criticism before you familiarise yourself with this fine community.
Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 12:31
I will try the game out now.
Looks very bad without lightmapping but maybe its fun.
Nothing against you old_school

Play to life,Life to play!!!
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 12:39
^The game is multiplayer, not singleplayer. I doubt you could even find anyone to play this.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 12:43
:/ Hmm...the mapdesign is complete failure...its hard to give you any advices on almost nothing...

I would say that you should use some reference images:

Other than that is the rifle shown here a MAS36.

It has been used in WW2 but it didn't even exist in WW1 times.

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 13:38
wolf, the threnches were not always like that. i agree they were not straight and not that tall. Loads of them weren't even supported by wood.

The design need allot of work, so please like wolf mentioned, use some better reference

old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2010 19:26 Edited at: 28th Dec 2010 19:29
The ref. I used was from one of those history sites. An the walls are flat because I dont know how to make rough walls. An it has a lightmap in it. I followed the Tut given by TGC for a sun lightmap. Ill just turn it light up a little more not a big deal.

An yes I know the MAS36 was not used durning the war but I could not find a M1 or any other weapon from the time period. It would be nice to find those models so everything could be perfect. But its FPSC and it does have some limits.

I still have the texture for the dirt wall. If anyone wants to correct it or provide details how to make it rough and work with a lightmap, that would be great. The point of the game as stated was for historical ref and to deminstrat the importance of WWI.

I honeslty don't enjoy not knowing how to model my self. So I must relie on modelers and model packs for models. The stock media is the closest thing I have to the time period. An I would really like at some point to add animation to the Artilery and add triggers for explosions.

But I had a hard enough time getting the map to stay around 20 to 35 FPS. I rebuilt this map literly 6 times before i got it to work without killing me on FPS rate. I'm fully aware its not 100% accurate. Just working with what I have aviable to produce something other then a zombie game. Trying to make something historic and meaningful.

Edit:
Sun Tut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8E989DJntM
Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2010 03:04
You can use entities for the walls to make them rougher, find some logs on the forums and line the walls with them, or something like that.

Search for the models you need, if you find some WWI era weapons you can get them in FPSC easily.

Even try learning to model, you can get the basics understood in a week and master the basics in a few monthes.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2010 04:04 Edited at: 29th Dec 2010 04:07
This is just a basic, boring map with no connection to WWI. And although the whole map is empty the framerate is terribly low.

This is as pointless as it is useless.

Quote: "Trying to make something historic and meaningful."

You're kidding us, right?

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2010 11:46
Quote: "This is just a basic, boring map with no connection to WWI. And although the whole map is empty the framerate is terribly low.

This is as pointless as it is useless.
"

please you wont help him with this, better give some constructive comments.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2010 15:43
Quote: "please you wont help him with this, better give some constructive comments."

Generally you are right by all means. But in this case I have no clue how I can give something constructive to someone who claims hes
Quote: "Trying to make something historic and meaningful.""
with this "game"

I am sorry but this is not a about bad game design, its about being self-delusional--->
Quote: "how do I enter this into the The Very Best of the Best [VBOTB]."

And I don't think I should soupport this in any way.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2010 21:10
Quote: "But its FPSC and it does have some limits."

Yeah..sure...thats way all the other games look 20 times better than this.

Quote: "how do I enter this into the The Very Best of the Best [VBOTB]. Alot of thought went into its creation."

Hey Dude, no offence...but reading through you're threads on this forum..I'm getting pretty sure that you're some kind of troll.

I'm really not trying to flame or be offensive...but lets take a look at the obvious:

No matter what you are doing in FPSC: It looks horrible.
You are replying to all sort of constructive criticism with some (I'm sorry) crap.

Look at this post of yours:

Quote: "t was created to show the importance of World War I and demestrate a full scale model of a trench. BTW No offense taken, some just don't understand history and it's importance."

So, you are trying to show people the importance of history and World War 1 with this?! The idea is good, the result abysmal.

That and the stuff in the Christmas Community Pack and some posts in other threads that make absolutely no sense brought me to the conclusion that you are either downright stupid or making fun of us.

This might get me banned for a few days, but someone had to say it

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2010 09:43
^Yep
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2010 11:40
^Agreed

Srry about my english im from sweeden
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2010 12:01
^
What he said.
Zay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2010 13:47
^
Finally someone other than me is fed up with this crap!

Contact me in Skype,name- nejcplan
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2010 14:21
Quote: "This might get me banned for a few days, but someone had to say it"

And I thought I had the top place in this threads ban list

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2010 16:29 Edited at: 30th Dec 2010 16:30
@Wolf,

Absolutely right in your assessment. Personally, my patience has been
exhausted with the author.

You omitted the real zinger, in which the members on these boards are
summarily insulted, in his oxymoronical and hypocritical rant:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178809&b=21

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 11:53
Quote: "pointless zombie game"

Watch your mouth!

And altho you said it does use lighting, I don't see any sign of lighting. What does that tell you about the quality of the lighting? The game has a cool idea going on, but what is shown here doesn't really appeal to me. For starters: Someone was really nice to build that long wall around teh battlefield. And there seems to be no universe behind the wall. And I've seen some very clever outdoor scenes made in FPSC, so I don't want any "FPSC limits" excuses.

And I don't consider any game, that's fun to play, pointless. If it has some history to it, then great, that's a plus, but what's really important in games, is the gameplay and then there's graphics, wich for me is a secondary thing. But altho it's not as important as gameplay, it still plays a big role. And this game would look a ton better, if your lighting was seeable. If it uses lighting, then that's great, but it would be even better if we can see the lighting.

Quote: "You omitted the real zinger, in which the members on these boards are
summarily insulted, in his oxymoronical and hypocritical rant"

The "cry baby" counter went trough the roof! (the times he said cry baby in his comments)

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 22:16
I for one am not sick of Old_School. He is trying to learn how to make games, and he is trying to send a message. Why does that bother you all? Granted I'll admit the game is poor, but he is trying. I would use some kind of trench entity with roughness rather than the segment you are using. Try modeling the entire thing in Milkshape 3d or a similar program and importing it. You might end up with a much much better result. I like the message you are trying to get across, but no offense that map really does suck.
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 16:24 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 16:24
@Design Runner,

I guess you have a rather short memory:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=179012&b=24

The cold and insensitive demeanor displayed by the author, even after the
obvious was spelled out to him, spoke in volumes, that I'll never forget.

old_School
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks to most for the constructive points made here. No thanks to the very few who posted unconstructive posts. Anyway, its clear this map needs help. I think the biggest problem I will face with this map is the fact that its outdoor 100%. Which means lots of lag and low FPS. Luckly Project Blue might help reduce that issue.

The next issue I need to address is infact the Trench its self. The orginal idea was make it a segment because I thought it would reduce the lag keep the FPS higher. Of course things sometimes don't go as planned. But Ive learned alot from that mistake and making a model version would be

1) more appealing
2) less lagg
3) allow for better light with the reduction of lag if fixed.

The last thing I need to fis as suggested is the background. When I made this, I had no idea how to make a nice billboard or backdrop to hide the end of the map. Luckly Ive been working hard on modeling thanks to many tips from the moolders on the media section. So at some point, this map will recive a overhual. For now though Im afarid it will be as is until I finish some other projects.

I have two major projects allready in devolpment and I'd like to finish those before I come back to this single map project. The orginal idea though of the map still stands. To educate and bring awareness about a less popular war that is overshadowed by WWII. Not implying that WWII is not as important, just implying this was indeed a important war as well.
OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 01:36
Wow. This thread has gotten pretty crazy. I see both sides of the story. Yes, the map is not very good and needs some considerable amount of work. I give him so credit though for trying and creating. I agree with many of you when you said about his sometime rude and obscure comments, but he is probably just a younger member and a younger member needs time to grow up and mature. However, old_school make sure to take time in your projects. When other developers that have earned the esteemed title of BOTB or just anyone gives you some C&C go back and edit your game, that is truly the only way to get a good game. Also, the VBOTB is something that you have to earn you can't just fill our an application for it, work for it. That is what I think about the mess

Regards,
OutdoorGamer

Visit Gamers Feed to keep up on all latest Gaming News!

TheConnorian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 11:25
mystic mod would probrably be better for an outdoor map as it allows for larger maps 4x larger in fact but then you would have no team deathmatch. Try and think of clever ways to make the borders maybe with destroyed ww1 tanks and craters that you can't climb up the other side on or maybe just a fence. Also think before you write as that seems to have ruined some of your threads in the past.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 12:53 Edited at: 4th Jan 2011 12:54
Quote: "mystic mod "

Isn't that for FPSC x10? Is this x9 or x10 BTW? The [x9] mark is required in the title, just noticed you were missing it

TheConnorian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 13:11 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 22:41
yeah if you want people to help you need to put in wether its x9 or x10. BTW if you continue with this project and keep a clean nose then i'll try and help you a lot as i have already planned a ww1 multiplayer fps but never got around to making it.

Also your history is slightly off but that can be solved

EDIT: Why have you abandoned what could be an amazing game!?!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 22:21:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 22:21:32