Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [STICKY] U77 Public Release Candidate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2012 10:41
DBP is competing with AppGameKit and FE for dev time, so don't hold your breath.. There are ~3 devs..
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 12:40
Quote: "Upgrade 7.7
===========

Major Fix
---------
Microsoft's latest Windows 7 SP1 all-in-one update package introduces a new security 'feature' which completely disables all DBP applications from running. Not the best move in the world, but don't let this lunacy stop you creating great applications. RC3 includes the fix which solves this problem."

I've just received my first W7 machine with Service Pack 1 installed and had no problems whatever installing DBPro from the original disk (~2005?). Both the programs compiled by me and the precompiled demos on the cd worked perfectly. What did I do wrong?

I've now upgraded to U77 and the only problems were the usual old versus new editor glitches - and one odd problem with a shader demo which I'm trying to track down (probably a DirectX/GFX card issue).

I also didn't need to install the "required" version of DX9.

I'm a bit disappointed that I seem to have missed out on something.
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 22:32
Oh, the problem wasn't that DBPro would fail.
Any programs that you compiled in DBPro would fail to run on Win7 because of that update.

The fix in DBPro allows the programs that you make to run on Win7.
DBPro itself always ran fine.
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 23:14
If you really want to see if you would have had problems, run a few of your applications that you made with the old version of DBPro. Most people can not run them on Win7 SP1.

You might have to re-compile them in the newest DBPro before they'll work for you.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 02:07 Edited at: 17th Oct 2012 02:09
Quote: "If you really want to see if you would have had problems, run a few of your applications that you made with the old version of DBPro. Most people can not run them on Win7 SP1."

Did you read my post?

Quote: "I've just received my first W7 machine with Service Pack 1 installed and had no problems whatever installing DBPro from the original disk (~2005?). Both the programs compiled by me and the precompiled demos on the cd worked perfectly."

Actually, "perfectly" is a bit of an exaggeration - they all ran but some gave a Windows error message when they exited. For example, the RoomDemo from the original CD runs correctly but only gives an error when you exit - as you can see it's quite old:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 03:12
Erm...
No... No, I did not properly read your post. You got me.
I just scanned it to get the basic idea. Sorry.

I've seen a couple of posts from others who claim that the old code still works for them too. All of my DBPro programs died with that Windows update, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Is it possible that a later Windows update changed it back to allow better compatability? Maybe? <Shrug>

Either way, glad to hear that your old programs still work.
I'll have to see if I can grab an old DBPro program and see if it works on my system too, in case Windows changed it again...
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 03:15 Edited at: 17th Oct 2012 13:20
Quote: "so I'm not sure what the deal is."

Neither am I.

But as you say, at least things work for me - so far (with one strange exception ).

Edit It seems that the problem was introduced at some intermediate update - I can't be bothered to find out which. I checked a few other old exe files I had lying around and some of those were stopped in the manner described. I wonder what the change was that caused the problem in the first place. It's not a problem with the latest update (U77RC7) of course.

It's good that the original version on the CD works though - so anyone who goes straight to the U77RC7 upgrade (like I did ) won't see the problem.
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Trying to figure something out here. This is from Lee's first post:

Quote: "Edited: 14th Apr 2011 10:31"

Which should mean his latest version was created about then. The DarkBasic Professional official upgrade page (http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2000&page=upgrade7-62) says the latest version is 7.62, updated on 12th May 2012. Does that mean the official update is more up to date than this?

Why I ask: I was using U77 for the longest time, but then I couldn't get my Unity LUA plugin licensed with my key. It kept saying unknown product. So I installed 7.62, and it works great! But, perffreq(), which was added in U77, doesn't work, and I imagine all the other bug fixes listed here probably aren't in that version either. So it is like the official update isn't as updated as U77, but it was updated more recently than U77... Maybe it is my current cold which has given me a minor migraine, but what is going on here?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 20:50 Edited at: 13th Nov 2012 20:52
The Unity LUA plugin registers fine for me, are you sure you were in admin mode and connected on a stable connection?

Maybe try installing U77 again

EDIT

Urm is perffreq() part of U77? it does not highlight for me...

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2012 23:59
The following doesn't highlight but seems to compile and run fine.

Quote: "Maybe it is my current cold which has given me a minor migraine, but what is going on here?"

No, I'm sure you're quite right - the two releases are out of step with each other and can be updated independently of each other. But I believe that when U77 is finished it should incorporate the new features introduced in U7.62 plus several other things.
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Reinstalled U77 and perffreq() works again and Unity is still marked as valid.

I am going to look over my finances when I get home and see if I can't back FPS Creator reloaded. I have no intentions of using reloaded, but an update to DBPro would be greatly appreciated. U77 is now 22 months old, and still not "official".
StevetS
Years of Service
User Offline
Upgraded to Win7 a while ago and thought that would be the end of my DBP hobby - have been looking around for an alternative but struggling to find anything suitable for easy 3D development.

Very glad to see DBP hasn't been abandoned in favour of AppGameKit!

Had some ideas over Christmas for a new game and might just dig out my disks and reinstall again!

[img]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=181020&b=5
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2013 02:27
Upgraded from U75 and "DK Intersect Limb" is not working again
Now when I run the .exe it tells me "runtime error 7804 - matrix number is illegal".

If Duffer is around maybe you can tell me if Dmitry sent you a fix yet? ;D

The Taffer (+TaffED)
A thief inspired game along with the mission editor (DBPro). [on hiatus]
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2013 09:55
@ LukasW,

I'm afraid DMitryK is long gone. Sent a couple of emails to him months and a year back and no responses. Also logged all of this in bug reports, in spades.

If you look v carefully I think there is a sort-of work around using SC Collision commands...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Adrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 18:01
I have just bought Dark Imposters but now find that I can't run it in the RC7 candidate, I have to go back to the old version RC6 - but if I do that, won't I have the problem with Win 7 stopping all the .exe programs from running again?

Have I just wasted my money?
Is DBP EVER going to get an update that takes it out of beta?

I hear their kickstarter project might enable them to get around to an update, but we have waited nearly 2 years now.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 18:11
Adrian - I believe 7.62 was re-packed to address the Win7SP1 update... as it appears to work for me on Win7+8

Hope that helps, perhaps give it a try first?

We should see updates to DBP thanks to FPSC Reloaded... but I still feel those updates are more geared for FPSC and not DBP in general which I feel a bit of a let down too but I must be positive as I wish to prove that DBP still has kick to it!

But as a general business rule, TGC has to keep the cash flow going, and from a business perspective I respect that.

Adrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 11:42 Edited at: 25th Jan 2013 12:04
@ MrValentine
I have now tried 7.62 and it does indeed seem to work however, all the fogging has changed to black in my game! I'm sure I can sort it though. Thank you for your advice. It does seem to be a bit of a step backwards though.

It's a shame, as DRPro seemed to be so nearly finished and to not fix the last few bugs seems daft after all the effort that went into it.

Roll on the next major update I say. Over 2 years now since it went into beta release, and over a year since the "your 3 most annoying bugs" thread was started (which has turned into your top 28 bugs.) How long can it take to fix these things?

I know DBPro is now free, but I would rather pay for something with regular updates than just abandon it like it has been.

ok, rant over!
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 18:38
@Adrian

from what i know lee is working on it so with a little luck we should see a updated and fixed dbpro

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 20:26
Should this update automatically come when you click check for updates on the original DBpro compiler? Because when i click that (before i downloaded this) it says DBpro is up to date. Then i see that it is not. Or better yet, shouldnt a version of the compiler with this just be the one that everyone downloads or is it not suitable for everyone?
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 21:25
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 21:43
This is beta but it has also been beta for some time "2011" however lee is working on reloaded and is updating the current code a bit for dbpro so hopfully sometime in the next while we should see something. cheers

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 10:26
Ahh thats good. It will be nice to see a revised DBpro. I was hoping it wasnt dying in the wake of all the AppGameKit stuff. I wonder if they will ever include multi core support (i heard that it doesnt but i could be wrong).
Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 17:43
Just a better AA support, would be amazing !

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
I heard rumors of a super-fast compiler. Right now I usually wait to compile until I need to run to the bathroom, or head to lunch or a meeting, because it could take around 3 minutes to complete. Hopefully that is released early on.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 17:55
GIDustin - how many lines of code?

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Hovering around 34,000 right now.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 18:19
Hmm... Wish I could test that much code on my system... I hope to see the updated compiler but as a remedy I am upgrading my i5 2500 to a XEON board and CPU... As they handle data better and faster... I hope I get the right setup!

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2013 01:18
@somarl

Dark basic isn't multi-thread, however the addons I think are,m which is why they can run so fast on a decent system.

It can be done though (sort of), using some DLL and some some addons. I coded a basic background spooling engine once by running two apps at once, the second started by my main engine and set affinity to another core. The framerate hit was about 4fps, but the app was running at 55-58 anyway so it didn't matter. I then used matrix utils and another add-on to get peek and poke, which allowed direct memory communication between the two apps. All the second one did was sound for me as I was just playing basically, but the main app could pass sound names to load and play in realtime, allowing no hit at all to the main engine and no need to hold them all in ram. I found that, by telling the second app to load and play the same two 3meg mp3s over and over and over, I could run my engine at around 55fps and still load more than 1gb of sound in the background with no performance hit.

I looked at the ability to then use memblocks to get the second app to store the data and pass the exact start location and length in memory back to the main engine to load as an asset: that would in essence be an unreal style background spooling routine up and running, in essence, but I moved onto a proper project.

I still use DBPro, and in fact just launched a beta of a new AppGameKit app that had it's editor entirely coded with DB, so I really do hope it comes back. Hint hint Lee. Lol.
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2013 13:48
I did not know it could be done. But as seen as i understand very little i think i would be preferable if it just came with that as standard rather than having to tweek. I dont believe thats what DBpro stands for in general as its all about just picking it up and going with it, a language for anyone so to speak. Im still at a fairly basic level but just wanted to know i would not be limited by anything bar imagination and actual coding skill, no matter how crazy ideas get. I myself own a fairly decent spec machine (not the best but not too shabby) so it would be nice to know i can push the boundaries a bit more (if im making something for myself only and not others) without having to optimise too much - basically so i can be a bit lazier
Mark Garrett
Reviewed AGK on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2013 08:36
How to produce quality exe files with the windows 7 (64 bit)...

Windows 7 and Dark basic pro problems solved at last...

Locate, then copy and paste 'Dark Basic Professional Online' folder to you desktop. This is the only way it can work without windows 7 preventing it. As long as it's on your desktop, Windows 7 does not consider it a security threat.

Next.. inside the 'Dark Basic Professional Online' folder, locate the 'Editor' sub folder. Inside it you will find the brown and tan 'Editor. exe'. Use it for all your compiling needs. It will not betray you and will produce functioning exe. files that you can transfer or e-mail to others in compressed file format.

Two heads are better than none
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2013 08:06
Hi guys, any rumours about plugin compatibility fixes with latest RC?

*** Merry Chuckmas! ***

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:45:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:45:03