Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Probably a stupid question about UV mapping...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 19:44
When you use the get image command to get a texture for an object, how does that UV mapping thing work? I mean, I've looked at the textures for the included models, and I couldn't figure it out. The way the help menu describes it, it sounds like it gets a square image, but then how does those textures for the included models work? (Say, the alien-mutant's texture?)

Destroy you with my mind, I could!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well the textures for models aren't usually grabbed off a screen with get image. They are made in an art package and attatched to a model with a modeller. You could simply edit a texture by drawing over it with an art package. But to make a UV map you need another program like Lithunwrap.

Pincho.
PoHa!84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 21:09
Hmm... so, I couldn't manually texture the alien-mutant model that came with my Dark Matter demo with it's texture, then huh?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah just draw over the texture and save over it. Remember to put a copy somewhere else so that you still have the original.

Pincho.
PoHa!84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 21:33
Err... I meant texture the MODEL. (i.e. texture the head with the head's texture, then go back and texture the body with the body's texture, etc... Not that I would do that with that model, but basically for my general knowledge.)

. Cool, he is. Play his games, I do.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 21:43 Edited at: 8th Oct 2003 21:49
That's all done with a modelling program, and Lithunwrap, not DBPro. DBPro just loads the model. It is possible to grab an image as a texture for simple things like planets which have no real shape. Or if you wanted to texture the alien with an image that is very basic, like a wash of colour, then you could do that.

Use...

Texture Object

Pincho.
PoHa!84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 21:48
I know that it doesn't matter, but I'm still stuck on DBC. Either way, thanks for your help!

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 10:04
the best way to describe the process is to take a look at a cereal carton. when u pull the box apart with all the glued bits it flattens out into a shape. This is a similar process to making a uv wrap but it can be a lot more complex than a simple box shape and certain aspects of a cereal box dont have to be applied IE the flaps of the lids unless you wanted it.

there is a great program called lithium unwrapper that helps a great deal in this regards and is comparible in price range for a budget home grown developer.

PoHa!84
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 17:15
Your still freakin' awesome, man!

Anyways, I downloaded lith unwrap(?) and Wings3d, and I'm going to play with them a while, to see what I can do.

Thanks for clearing things up!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 14:30:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 14:30:40