Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Noob looking for some advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 03:48
I'm still kind of new to this so here it goes

I would like to know what commands I need a good grasp of in order to start creating a character generation program(i.e. like the one found in the Fallout Games), I know that I'm still new to programming but I would still like to know what commands I need to have a grasp of.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome to the forums!

Quote: "I would like to know what commands I need a good grasp of in order to start creating a character generation program(i.e. like the one found in the Fallout Games)"

Accept that this answer is, while slightly exaggerated, not far from the truth: all of them.

That being said, if you want to get started, check out TDK's tutorials. They will give you a good start for learning the language.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
I am a beginner and need help
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2011 05:31
ok then how about a sample of one so that way I can see how the code looks and from there maybe I'll be able to figure out how I want to set mine up.
Suicidal Sledder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 19:02
if u want it 3d (like in the FO games) its pretty complex since it involves editing 3D meshes. Its possible but as a beginner I would start someplace else until you get a better grasp of DB.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 14:06
I had a lot of fun making a basic character editor. It used only a few pixels for each part of the body (I think the head was 12 pixels)but you could give a character different hairstyles, beards and I even made some clothing. I think it would be good to start with something simple like that, then when you get more experienced you can use the things you've learned from this to make a more advanced version.

PS The code for my character editor is long gone, otherwise I'd post it here

Everything worthwhile requires effort.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I looked up a Fallout character generator, and it was just text...

http://vault106.com/fallout-3-character-builder

Is that all you want?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 06:33:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 06:33:50