Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Making AGK more like C++ might be a good idea

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 20:52
This thread is not intended for specific features so please stay on topic.

We know that Tier 1 will have a simplified script similar to DBP and Tier 2 will use C++. There are a lot of topics here regarding the syntax with changes that makes the code more in line with C++ (and other programing languages).

I see that this could be a really good thing because it makes the step up from Tier 1 to Tier 2 smaller for when people are ready to take the step. It would also make the code written for Tier 1 easier to reuse in C++. And finally it makes it easier for users coming from other languages to adopt to AGK.

AGK is a bit of a fresh start and TGC could really alter the syntax as much as they want. There are many other ways to make AppGameKit easy to use compared to C++ without having to base it on DBP too much.

[center]
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 22:11
They're already releasing a version of their SDK for C++, so why make the programming language the same?

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 22:59
Well, not the same. I don't know much C++ (old DB/DBP programmer) and I'm planning on starting with Tier 1 myself. I'm also more of a designer then a programmer, I actually design board games right now (2 published games).

There have already been talk about various things such as no spaces in commands, brackets for all function calls, square brackets for arrays and so on. There are people for and against these things.

I just think that this is the right direction and now is the time to make such changes rather then going with the exact same syntax as DBP. And I also think there are some good reasons to do this. You can't change your mind and do this later.

[center]
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 23:03 Edited at: 7th Feb 2012 16:19
DBPro is DBPro because it's not like the other languages or C++, so if they would use C++... it would make no sense... There would be DB++ and C++ . People use it because of it's simplicity and functionality.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2011 23:38
Doing things differently does not necessarily make it harder. That really depends on what you are used to. If you are used to DBP, of course you will find the way everything is done in DBP to be easy. Someone who have different coding experience, like JavaScript or PHP, might find the DBP way of doing things awkward. New programmers might find both ways to be equally hard. AppGameKit is not intended only for DBP programmers.

[center]
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2011 05:11
The trouble is, the more towards C/C++ they lean, then both tiers of AppGameKit soon start moving into the territory of established SDK's such as http://www.airplaysdk.com/ - So keeping it at a higher level helps make a clear distinction.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I really do not see any point whatsoever in making tier 1 agk a c++ based structure, and can not see it happening anyway. If people want to use c++ and have its main advantage, speed, they will choose tier 2. Really, if you want to learn c++ then just choose tier 2 when it is released, and play about in the meantime with Dark GDK or something similar.
This IS aimed at Db programmers in the main here after all. It should(and will I think) stick to a basic structure as implemented so far. Sure TGC want to get a bigger userbase in the end, but making a script based c++ style language is not going to help. That is why there are c++ libraries in tier 2.
If they can make improvement's that actually increase the scripts speed then fine, otherwise it is fairly illogical and will put off many current DB users from bothering with it.
I don't think anyone coming from other languages would have a problem learning basic, it's called that for a reason you know. I would imagine most already know basic already.
Anyway, lol, I don't agree as you can see. TGC need to make a fairly powerful, easy to use language to stand out from the crowd, as others have suggested.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:18:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:18:43