Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Multiplayer question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 08:27
I dont consider myself much of a newbie, but i do have a newbie question!! How the heck does TCP/IP over the world wide web work? (lotta dubbyus). How can it find all of the sessions all over the world? Is there a middle hub that lists all the servers? I'm not too experienced with multiplayer stuff (first one i've written).
1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 11:05
TheWendigo, what better way to find out about it then to ask one of your testers makeing a who is makeing a mutiplayer space fighter game In answer to your question, TCP/IP work in DBPro, just my finding a random IP. The address and ip can be left blank, i've managed to get away with it over my college internet connection. As for the spersifics on how it works im not sure. If i figer anything else out i'll tell you
oh the likey hood is its use checks ips thought 1.1.1.1 to 255.255.255.255 or somthing like that

Skid
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 20:42
For tcp/ip games I think the clients have to know the ip address of the host so they can connect. Would be cool if it searched for an ip but wouldn't that take ages over the web, without some sort of server for your game.
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 23:42
I can say for a fact it does search ips, however i don't know how wide the search is thought, knowing the ip is far faster. If you don't know how to get your ip, i could make and upload a very simple PHP script to tell you what yours is

Skid
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 01:36
yeah, it does go through IPs cuz I tried my game out on TCP/IP and I found it on another computer! How it works, i do not know either. Of cource that's why I asked the question .
Oh, btw skid, The game is ready for d-load if you hadn't found out already. I'm going to be patching it VERY soon though (Working on chat. My email is wendigosoft@yahoo.com. Drop me a line so I can reply. My game is stored on
http://www.geocities.com/wendigosoft/Files

If anyone else is reading this then join in if you want!

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 13:44
If it does a search, does that mean that anyone in the world can connect? If so, how does the protocol differentiate between different games? Do you use some sort of identifier? I'm sure I could do this easily within a lan, it's just the whole web I'm wondering about.

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 14:50
I don't know how it works, it may look for any ip that running that game, if you change the name of the exe to the vertion it may only find games of that vertion, but this is all guess work :S Oh Wendigo i did download it yesterday but i forgot to take to home from college, so im puting it on a Zip today and then takeing it home to test it

Skid
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 20:11
If it looks for the .exe filename, that could be disastrous!!!

There must be a specific way.

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:27:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:27:38